KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Critique Karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 1673
Been Liked: 129 times
If you were to actually implement your idea, your people doing the judging had better be qualified and recognized judges. None of your singers are going to want to be critiqued by a room full of people who most likely are drunk, or they are not qualified to make good assessments of a performance (or both).

I still think it's not a great idea max, but you are the one who has to live with your decision and consequences of that decision.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
earthling12357 wrote:
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well.
People like that.

Or too ugly. I'm sure they'd want to hear that too.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:18 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
mrscott wrote:

I still think it's not a great idea max...

Of course it's not. It's total stupidity. Just a mind trip game that max thinks might be fun to play. Well, I've got a better game...

Let's critique the KJ. I'll go first...

Sorry, max but you're out! You just don't have what it takes. Terrible KJ. Run along now.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:18 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
mrscott wrote:
max, I believe we understand that it would not be you doing the critiquing and that karaoke is not American Idol, but look at it from this way,,,,

You came in here with what you believed to be a great idea (equate that to a singer wanting to genuinely ask for a critique). "You" (singer) asked for our opinion (critique), and what you got was a lot of negative critiques and even some heckling. Then "you" (singer) got a little defensive and argued that your idea (song performance) was indeed great. Max, you did not take that so well. Neither will your singers, even if they ask for an honest opinion, just as you did. If your wife asked you how she looked, unless you like sleeping on the couch, your answer better be, "honey, you look beautiful", even if she looks like a circus clown.


Hi Scott, truth is I didn't get defensive about not liking the idea it was the way they responded and the words they used..
LIKE....
I think it's a stupid idea.
not to be judged by someone like you
You're idea is one of the most asinine I ever herd of.
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well, People like that.
Or too ugly. I'm sure they'd want to hear that too.

Of course it's not. It's total stupidity. Just a mind trip game that max thinks might be fun to play. Well, I've got a better game...
Let's critique the KJ. I'll go first...
Sorry, max but you're out! You just don't have what it takes. Terrible KJ. Run along now.

you would think grown up people would act like it sometimes.. I'm really thinking Allen B. has some issue's he needs to work out..lol..
I asked for help and what people thought of the idea. Not kids telling me how stupid I am, I'm pretty sure I have been on this site longer then anyone that has responded here and it seems like for the most part people just want to be-little you.
I was expecting responses like . Keep trying MAX not a great idea, r just NOOOOOOOO, anything like that but I got what seems to be angry responses.. it's a shame this site has come to this...We use to have a blast on here, I met some of the best people on here..
I agree Singer's Showcase isn't that great right now but it could be if people really wanted it to be..IF they really tried..
I don't agree on having first rate judges, for 1 it's NOT a contest, 2, I believe your opinion is just as good as the SO CALLED First Rate judges, you know who I'm talking about, the same one's that told Elvis to go home, and many other cases just like that. People like what they like and dislike..you may like some some little inflection in a person's voice that I don't. doesn't make either of us right or wrong, I have been in music all my life, I sang in a group for 15 yrs then Gospel. and I still say that just because I like r dislike something means very little..BUT if 20 people, NOT DRUNK , maybe a bit tipsy, say that you were pitchy that person can do nothing but learn from it..IF they asked for a critique. you don't need to be a trained Judge for that. we have all heard people that can and can't sing in OUR opinion..
People have tons of reasons for getting up to sing, yes most get up there just for fun but other's have different reasons..there is nothing better then seeing someone get up for the first time to sing...finally building up the courage. yes most of the time it's the liquor helping them but the next day they will wake up with a smile on their face..we can only hope..and you can bet the first timer will not want to be critiqued, BUT for the ones that do, it's there for them..
Having said ALL that, if you will read my Main post I was asking for HELP on HOW to do it NOT if it would work are not..all I got was how it's a stupid idea, are how fat and ugly people are...ZERO help on what I asked for...No one want's to critique/judge but everyone jumped to judge my idea..when not even asked for...funny how that works.. The very people that say NOOOOOOO to critique or Judge are the very ones that Judged my post, the very ones that gave their opinions even tho I didn't ask for it, I just asked for HELP on doing it.. With the responses I got I'm guessing if most that responded were to critique someone they would simple say, YOU SUCKKKKKK, or LOSE SOME WEIGHT YOUR FAT AND UGLY . lol..
Scott thanks for your opinion, I don't have to agree and neither do you...but at least you were civil..thinking that's to much to ask from Allen.. lol .ty again..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:41 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 1673
Been Liked: 129 times
max wrote:
mrscott wrote:
max, I believe we understand that it would not be you doing the critiquing and that karaoke is not American Idol, but look at it from this way,,,,

You came in here with what you believed to be a great idea (equate that to a singer wanting to genuinely ask for a critique). "You" (singer) asked for our opinion (critique), and what you got was a lot of negative critiques and even some heckling. Then "you" (singer) got a little defensive and argued that your idea (song performance) was indeed great. Max, you did not take that so well. Neither will your singers, even if they ask for an honest opinion, just as you did. If your wife asked you how she looked, unless you like sleeping on the couch, your answer better be, "honey, you look beautiful", even if she looks like a circus clown.


Hi Scott, truth is I didn't get defensive about not liking the idea it was the way they responded and the words they used..
LIKE....
I think it's a stupid idea.
not to be judged by someone like you
You're idea is one of the most asinine I ever herd of.
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well, People like that.
Or too ugly. I'm sure they'd want to hear that too.

Of course it's not. It's total stupidity. Just a mind trip game that max thinks might be fun to play. Well, I've got a better game...
Let's critique the KJ. I'll go first...
Sorry, max but you're out! You just don't have what it takes. Terrible KJ. Run along now.

you would think grown up people would act like it sometimes.. I'm really thinking Allen B. has some issue's he needs to work out..lol..
I asked for help and what people thought of the idea. Not kids telling me how stupid I am, I'm pretty sure I have been on this site longer then anyone that has responded here and it seems like for the most part people just want to be-little you.
I was expecting responses like . Keep trying MAX not a great idea, r just NOOOOOOOO, anything like that but I got what seems to be angry responses.. it's a shame this site has come to this...We use to have a blast on here, I met some of the best people on here..
I agree Singer's Showcase isn't that great right now but it could be if people really wanted it to be..IF they really tried..
I don't agree on having first rate judges, for 1 it's NOT a contest, 2, I believe your opinion is just as good as the SO CALLED First Rate judges, you know who I'm talking about, the same one's that told Elvis to go home, and many other cases just like that. People like what they like and dislike..you may like some some little inflection in a person's voice that I don't. doesn't make either of us right or wrong, I have been in music all my life, I sang in a group for 15 yrs then Gospel. and I still say that just because I like r dislike something means very little..BUT if 20 people, NOT DRUNK , maybe a bit tipsy, say that you were pitchy that person can do nothing but learn from it..IF they asked for a critique. you don't need to be a trained Judge for that. we have all heard people that can and can't sing in OUR opinion..
People have tons of reasons for getting up to sing, yes most get up there just for fun but other's have different reasons..there is nothing better then seeing someone get up for the first time to sing...finally building up the courage. yes most of the time it's the liquor helping them but the next day they will wake up with a smile on their face..we can only hope..and you can bet the first timer will not want to be critiqued, BUT for the ones that do, it's there for them..
Having said ALL that, if you will read my Main post I was asking for HELP on HOW to do it NOT if it would work are not..all I got was how it's a stupid idea, are how fat and ugly people are...ZERO help on what I asked for...No one want's to critique/judge but everyone jumped to judge my idea..when not even asked for...funny how that works.. The very people that say NOOOOOOO to critique or Judge are the very ones that Judged my post, the very ones that gave their opinions even tho I didn't ask for it, I just asked for HELP on doing it.. With the responses I got I'm guessing if most that responded were to critique someone they would simple say, YOU SUCKKKKKK, or LOSE SOME WEIGHT YOUR FAT AND UGLY . lol..
Scott thanks for your opinion, I don't have to agree and neither do you...but at least you were civil..thinking that's to much to ask from Allen.. lol .ty again..


Max, understand that Alan is just giving you the same type of responses that your singers will get as a "critique".... "Get off the stage",,"you suck",,, "don't quit your day job",, "you sound like a cat being tortured",,, you know the typical things that you would hear from people who don't actually have any business critiquing others on something they know nothing about. You wouldn't go to a plumber if you had a toothache. I have been on this forum since 2008, and Alan has been on even longer than that, so we have seen a lot of things be asked here. Yes, we know that you are asking for "help" in "how to make it work",,, but honestly, you won't be getting many suggestions on that. At best, they will give you feedback on your idea itself, not the "how-to".

I am not as harsh as some of the others, I try to be civil (until the time comes to NOT be civil), so thank you for realizing I am not trying to belittle your idea, it's just how I see it will transpire if you implement it. But, don't be surprised if you get those same responses I mentioned, since they won't know how to fix a singer, only complain/compliment on their personal opinions. Good luck my friend.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
mrscott wrote:
max wrote:
mrscott wrote:
max, I believe we understand that it would not be you doing the critiquing and that karaoke is not American Idol, but look at it from this way,,,,

You came in here with what you believed to be a great idea (equate that to a singer wanting to genuinely ask for a critique). "You" (singer) asked for our opinion (critique), and what you got was a lot of negative critiques and even some heckling. Then "you" (singer) got a little defensive and argued that your idea (song performance) was indeed great. Max, you did not take that so well. Neither will your singers, even if they ask for an honest opinion, just as you did. If your wife asked you how she looked, unless you like sleeping on the couch, your answer better be, "honey, you look beautiful", even if she looks like a circus clown.


Hi Scott, truth is I didn't get defensive about not liking the idea it was the way they responded and the words they used..
LIKE....
I think it's a stupid idea.
not to be judged by someone like you
You're idea is one of the most asinine I ever herd of.
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well, People like that.
Or too ugly. I'm sure they'd want to hear that too.

Of course it's not. It's total stupidity. Just a mind trip game that max thinks might be fun to play. Well, I've got a better game...
Let's critique the KJ. I'll go first...
Sorry, max but you're out! You just don't have what it takes. Terrible KJ. Run along now.

you would think grown up people would act like it sometimes.. I'm really thinking Allen B. has some issue's he needs to work out..lol..
I asked for help and what people thought of the idea. Not kids telling me how stupid I am, I'm pretty sure I have been on this site longer then anyone that has responded here and it seems like for the most part people just want to be-little you.
I was expecting responses like . Keep trying MAX not a great idea, r just NOOOOOOOO, anything like that but I got what seems to be angry responses.. it's a shame this site has come to this...We use to have a blast on here, I met some of the best people on here..
I agree Singer's Showcase isn't that great right now but it could be if people really wanted it to be..IF they really tried..
I don't agree on having first rate judges, for 1 it's NOT a contest, 2, I believe your opinion is just as good as the SO CALLED First Rate judges, you know who I'm talking about, the same one's that told Elvis to go home, and many other cases just like that. People like what they like and dislike..you may like some some little inflection in a person's voice that I don't. doesn't make either of us right or wrong, I have been in music all my life, I sang in a group for 15 yrs then Gospel. and I still say that just because I like r dislike something means very little..BUT if 20 people, NOT DRUNK , maybe a bit tipsy, say that you were pitchy that person can do nothing but learn from it..IF they asked for a critique. you don't need to be a trained Judge for that. we have all heard people that can and can't sing in OUR opinion..
People have tons of reasons for getting up to sing, yes most get up there just for fun but other's have different reasons..there is nothing better then seeing someone get up for the first time to sing...finally building up the courage. yes most of the time it's the liquor helping them but the next day they will wake up with a smile on their face..we can only hope..and you can bet the first timer will not want to be critiqued, BUT for the ones that do, it's there for them..
Having said ALL that, if you will read my Main post I was asking for HELP on HOW to do it NOT if it would work are not..all I got was how it's a stupid idea, are how fat and ugly people are...ZERO help on what I asked for...No one want's to critique/judge but everyone jumped to judge my idea..when not even asked for...funny how that works.. The very people that say NOOOOOOO to critique or Judge are the very ones that Judged my post, the very ones that gave their opinions even tho I didn't ask for it, I just asked for HELP on doing it.. With the responses I got I'm guessing if most that responded were to critique someone they would simple say, YOU SUCKKKKKK, or LOSE SOME WEIGHT YOUR FAT AND UGLY . lol..
Scott thanks for your opinion, I don't have to agree and neither do you...but at least you were civil..thinking that's to much to ask from Allen.. lol .ty again..


Max, understand that Alan is just giving you the same type of responses that your singers will get as a "critique".... "Get off the stage",,"you suck",,, "don't quit your day job",, "you sound like a cat being tortured",,, you know the typical things that you would hear from people who don't actually have any business critiquing others on something they know nothing about. You wouldn't go to a plumber if you had a toothache. I have been on this forum since 2008, and Alan has been on even longer than that, so we have seen a lot of things be asked here. Yes, we know that you are asking for "help" in "how to make it work",,, but honestly, you won't be getting many suggestions on that. At best, they will give you feedback on your idea itself, not the "how-to".

I am not as harsh as some of the others, I try to be civil (until the time comes to NOT be civil), so thank you for realizing I am not trying to belittle your idea, it's just how I see it will transpire if you implement it. But, don't be surprised if you get those same responses I mentioned, since they won't know how to fix a singer, only complain/compliment on their personal opinions. Good luck my friend.


Hi Scott, "Get off the stage",,"you suck",,, "don't quit your day job",, "you sound like a cat being tortured",,
lol, funny..
I'm sure people THINK that way about certain singer's I'm just not sure they would put that down on paper...ok maybe some would, but I have to believe for the most part other's would like to be honest about what they think..but not to honest..a rating from 1 to 10 with no comments would help in not getting to personal...throw out the top and bottom scores..reason being it may be someones b/f / g/f r someone you dislike, and you give them a 1 ...I have asked around and most would love to be critiqued, that was my whole reason for wanting help..trying to figure out a way to do it..try to make it fun for everyone in the club...
truth is I'm a big fluff-er, no way can I tell someone they suck, are to take up needle point, anything but singing..i just tell them Great Job..partly because I want them to keep coming back and partly because I don't want to break their hearts..some if not most take it very seriously. I don't agree that most sing just for fun, where I'm from their very serious. most have invested in a P.A. of some sorts at their homes..No they don't expect to become stars altho there are a few that could be..most are average altho 1 place I host which is a Golf Country Club they are well above average...
I was just kicking the idea around, you never know till you try..

You may remember Milo, Lou Lou, Steven, lord I wish I could remember the others..Fun Times...ty again..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:39 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
max wrote:
you would think grown up people would act like it sometimes.. I'm really thinking Allen B. has some issue's he needs to work out..lol..

Max, I have always been one to tell it like it is. I don't sugar-coat it. I say what I feel. Although in doing so my responses haven't always sat very well with some people. Nor has it made me very popular. But the truth is, I'm not out to win a popularity contest. And if someone doesn't like my unbiased opinion... well that's not my problem.

I have many years in this business and on this forum. And I do have some experience and knowledge about some things.

Now, I will admit, mrscott is much more cordial in his responses. He knows how to get his point across in a much more sophisticated way. Good quality to have but I will always be straight forward in my responses.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:12 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
Alan B wrote:
max wrote:
you would think grown up people would act like it sometimes.. I'm really thinking Allen B. has some issue's he needs to work out..lol..

Max, I have always been one to tell it like it is. I don't sugar-coat it. I say what I feel. Although in doing so my responses haven't always sat very well with some people. Nor has it made me very popular. But the truth is, I'm not out to win a popularity contest. And if someone doesn't like my unbiased opinion... well that's not my problem.

I have many years in this business and on this forum. And I do have some experience and knowledge about some things.

Now, I will admit, mrscott is much more cordial in his responses. He knows how to get his point across in a much more sophisticated way. Good quality to have but I will always be straight forward in my responses.


I just love it when people camouflage being rude with, I just tell it like it is or I don't sugar coat...To me that's just an excuse for being rude and not being sensitive to other's feelings..
I have probably been in the music business as long as you and guess as long as you on this site...off and on..My name use to be Billy on here years ago..i forgot my password and changed it..
I'm guessing if you are a KJ now not many people like you but like you said That's not YOUR problem..i just can't wrap my head around that kind of attitude..But you keep on being YOU.
You could have come on here and simply said..Sorry I don't think this is a very good idea and I have no idea's on helping you. BUT you didn't, you went on about how stupid of an idea it was and on and on...Then try to brush it off as, WELL THAT'S JUST ME, DEAL WITH IT..Like I said your rude, simple as that...See? I can be blunt as well. Tell you what i'll try harder NOT being so blunt if you will..Have a great day..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:14 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
Allen at least we can agree that the Evolve 50 sounds great...


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 pm
Posts: 1609
Location: Earth
Been Liked: 307 times
If you have never hosted, participated in, witnessed, or judged a karaoke contest, then that would explain why you missed the point of my comment:

earthling12357 wrote:
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well.
People like that.


In every single contest I have ever seen, every contestant asked to be critiqued, and in almost every case only one person was happy with it while the rest were frustrated and some left in tears. The outcome was no different than if the KJ had flat out hurled a personalized insult at each of them.

If you want to turn karaoke night into some kind of singing clinic where some egos are stroked and others are shattered, my suggestion on "how to do it" is to keep yourself and your patrons out of it, so nobody is too ashamed, too offended, or too embarrassed to return.

Make it a one night event and hire a professional singing coach to come in, sit at a table and give face to face advice to any singer who asks for it. Use someone that doesn't frequent the bar, and won't be coming back uninvited. Don't use amateurs or other singers for this because the advice will be amateurish advice which is mostly worthless.

I see it as a hornet's nest though.
If you manage this thing on your own, you will give the subliminal message that you don't think your singers are good enough for your show, but might be more tolerable if only someone gave them some pointed tips on how to sing.
Of course the ones who will enjoy it most will be those few know-it-all singers who are over-eager to tell everyone else just what they are doing wrong and then demonstrate for them how their favorite songs are supposed to be sung. Once you get started with your singing class, you will inadvertently empower those people to run amok with free advice for all whether they ask for it or not.

My best advice for "how to do it" is to play the whole thing out in your mind before taking any action, with thoughts of each of your singers individual personalities, and taking into consideration all of the criticisms received in this thread, as you figure out a plan to deal with these issues when they arise, so you can spare your singers feelings in a way that yours weren't.

_________________
KNOW THYSELF


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
earthling12357 wrote:

My best advice for "how to do it" is to play the whole thing out in your mind before taking any action, with thoughts of each of your singers individual personalities, and taking into consideration all of the criticisms received in this thread, as you figure out a plan to deal with these issues when they arise, so you can spare your singers feelings in a way that yours weren't.

My best advice is, "don't do it". Seriously, what is the point? There is none, unless you like to create sensationalism and stir up needless drama. As I've said, totally stupid idea.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4704
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 263 times
Wait, earthling's suggestion of having a singing clinic wit a professional singing coach on a special night where only the singing coach is giving the advice might work. Think of it, the only ones who are singing would be those participating so they would be there specifically for the purpose of improving their own skills. To participate they would gave to pay a fee to cover the singing coach's time. Sort of like a paint night only with singing. Open to anyone who is interested without singling our anyone.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:26 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
max wrote:
Allen at least we can agree that the Evolve 50 sounds great...

Now, here you're showing good taste! Yes, the Evolve 50 is an amazing system. It is the standard by which all other line array systems are judged.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:58 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 1673
Been Liked: 129 times
earthling12357 wrote:
If you have never hosted, participated in, witnessed, or judged a karaoke contest, then that would explain why you missed the point of my comment:

earthling12357 wrote:
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well.
People like that.


In every single contest I have ever seen, every contestant asked to be critiqued, and in almost every case only one person was happy with it while the rest were frustrated and some left in tears. The outcome was no different than if the KJ had flat out hurled a personalized insult at each of them.

If you want to turn karaoke night into some kind of singing clinic where some egos are stroked and others are shattered, my suggestion on "how to do it" is to keep yourself and your patrons out of it, so nobody is too ashamed, too offended, or too embarrassed to return.

Make it a one night event and hire a professional singing coach to come in, sit at a table and give face to face advice to any singer who asks for it. Use someone that doesn't frequent the bar, and won't be coming back uninvited. Don't use amateurs or other singers for this because the advice will be amateurish advice which is mostly worthless.

I see it as a hornet's nest though.
If you manage this thing on your own, you will give the subliminal message that you don't think your singers are good enough for your show, but might be more tolerable if only someone gave them some pointed tips on how to sing.
Of course the ones who will enjoy it most will be those few know-it-all singers who are over-eager to tell everyone else just what they are doing wrong and then demonstrate for them how their favorite songs are supposed to be sung. Once you get started with your singing class, you will inadvertently empower those people to run amok with free advice for all whether they ask for it or not.

My best advice for "how to do it" is to play the whole thing out in your mind before taking any action, with thoughts of each of your singers individual personalities, and taking into consideration all of the criticisms received in this thread, as you figure out a plan to deal with these issues when they arise, so you can spare your singers feelings in a way that yours weren't.


THIS!!


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
then I'm guessing showing someone correct mic. technique would be out of the question also..from what I gather from reading above . just give them the mic. and let her rip..i'm betting ok I'm hoping at least a few of you have givin advise on how to hold a mic. and if so how is that any different? they could easily look at you and say, Who the hell are you to tell me anything...Same as with a critique on singing? do we now go hire a pro Mic. handler, not that there is such a thing, because I have seen so called pro. singers holding the mic wrong..but you get my point? I DO think people want to grow and I don't think it takes a pro. judge to pull that off..
I do hear what each of you are saying and on some I agree, for sure on the contest.
Heck way back when on here when we use to critique, Steven was the best, he knew just what to say and how to say it..and most agreed with what he said..was he a pro judge? NO, could he sing that well? NO. But I do believe IF you have people that you respect and their trying their best to help I think it would work..and yes there are attitude's in everything..you get a pro judge/singing teacher their will be some for sure that want agree with him/her.....Again, I'm a Fluffer so I don't count..i'll give it more thought..tyyyyyyyy


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
max wrote:
then I'm guessing showing someone correct mic. technique would be out of the question also..

Totally different story and not the same thing.

But anyway... go ahead and do your little critique thing. And then let us know just how many customers you've pissed off, frustrated, embarrassed and driven away.

My suggestion: Instead of using your negativity on this stupid critique sh!t, why don't you use some positive energy to find ways to make karaoke more fun for your customers. Much better idea, don't you think?

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:28 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
Alan B wrote:
max wrote:
then I'm guessing showing someone correct mic. technique would be out of the question also..

Totally different story and not the same thing.

But anyway... go ahead and do your little critique thing. And then let us know just how many customers you've pissed off, frustrated, embarrassed and driven away.

My suggestion: Instead of using your negativity on this stupid critique sh!t, why don't you use some positive energy to find ways to make karaoke more fun for your customers. Much better idea, don't you think?
..

Soooooooo, I have YOUR permission to go ahead? Wow Thanks..
Alan I'm not sure you have ever had a positive thing to say in your life from the way you talk..Unless it was YOUR Idea..
It's a good thing I asked for YOUR opinion..NOT...I bet You Have such a great show, I went back and read some post you made, I'm not sure anyone on here likes you..Why are you even here? Do you post song's on Singers Showcase? Betting not..have you ever?
And if MY idea is so stupid as you call it let's hear 1 from you..You know, something that will make it more fun..For me, everytime I learn something it's fun..Guessing your not that way...I look forward to your idea's..I'm betting you will only come back with a smart remark and no idea's at all..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3610
Been Liked: 794 times
max wrote:

Soooooooo, I have YOUR permission to go ahead? Wow Thanks..

No problem. Only too happy to help! By the way... Aren't those Evolve 50's totally awesome?

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Posts: 309
Been Liked: 18 times
Alan B wrote:
max wrote:

Soooooooo, I have YOUR permission to go ahead? Wow Thanks..

No problem. Only too happy to help! By the way... Aren't those Evolve 50's totally awesome?


yes they are, along with the RCF 12hd's. and add the QSC 8 Touchmix..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
 Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm
Posts: 232
Location: Westminster, CO
Been Liked: 57 times
I hope your funnier than Chuck Barris and your girlfriend is like J.P. Morgan and flashes her breasts.

Do you think if I wrapped my naked self up in Saran Wrap they could see I'm nuts!

I did love the Gong Show, but that was what it was supposed to be.

_________________
You can never argue with a crazy mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mind ----B. Joel
I have great faith in fools; My friends call it self-confidence ---- E.A. Poe
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity ----E.A. Poe
I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 154 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech