KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Would you go back to karaoke... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
OK, here's the situation...

Most bars are eager to get back to business as usual. If indeed, the stay at home ban is lifted and bars can reopen on May 1, would you go back to doing karaoke?

So, if the bar calls you back, and even though this virus is far from over, would you take the risk? Knowing that there is still not enough testing kits, no treatment or vaccine and the possibility of getting infected yourself.

So... On one hand, you don't want to lose a great job, let alone the money... but on the other, you don't want to expose yourself to getting the Corona Virus.

What would you do?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Personally more worried about the singers safety than my own. Gonna have to rethink what type of mics that are used. Just spraying or wiping isn't going to be enough. It's a lot of work and cost but giving or selling singers their own personal windscreen and forcing them to put their own windscreens on before singing and taking them off when finished. It also means alternating mics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I'll probably not be allowed to go back since I'm in the extreme risk category both in age and underlying medical conditions. Nevertheless, I would go back if allowed and could take appropriate precautions.

To go from two and sometimes three gigs a week to zero is a pretty big financial hit. I won't starve, but I won't be buying a yacht either.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Personally more worried about the singers safety than my own. Gonna have to rethink what type of mics that are used. Just spraying or wiping isn't going to be enough. It's a lot of work and cost but giving or selling singers their own personal windscreen and forcing them to put their own windscreens on before singing and taking them off when finished. It also means alternating mics.

The thing is, even if you take precautions such as using disposable mic covers and sanitizing the mics after each performance, YOU are still at risk. People are still going to come up to you to hand you a request slip, tell you what they want to sing, or just talk to you. So, you will still be in close contact with the singers. You will not be able to maintain a 6 foot distance.

I have been encouraging singers to buy their own wired microphone which they wouldn't have to share with anybody. I've gotten a few people that are very receptive to the idea.

Now, anything you can do is great but you are still at risk, especially if people are coughing or sneezing and you're within close range to them. And in most bars, you are working in a confined space.

I'm really thinking hard about this one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:40 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

How about insisting on Remote requests only.

Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Duplicate post

Last edited by DannyG2006 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

How about insisting on Remote requests only.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:03 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Here's the thing. No matter what we do anywhere, we are at risk for virus's and bacteria spreading, it's part of life. We cannot shield ourselves nor the ones around us from catching "something" at some point in time, usually multiple times in our life. Our immune systems are set up as such to build up immunity towards these invasive virus's. Bacteria is another thing totally, our bodies do not have the antibodies to fight them, there isn't any way of preventing them short of never getting infected. If we live our lives in fear of catching or spreading some sort of bug, you will have to either never have contact with another living soul, nor anything that another living soul touches,, meaning I hope you like living like Robinson Caruso on a deserted island somewhere.

Look at the actual numbers to this current Covid 19 (I know the numbers are still early) and you will see that is is no more deadly percentage wise than the common influenza virus or the measles. The biggest difference is that it is new and not much is known about it yet. Yes it is very contagious, because our bodies do not have the antibodies built up yet. Is it scary to think about dying from something that we don't know much about, but living in fear is not what I would choose to do. I will take the simple necessary tasks to reduce all I can (hand washing, sanitary wipes, cleaning surfaces, staying home when called for, etc.). Life must move forward as normally is possible. One day we will know more about this (and other) virus's and how to combat them. Level heads must prevail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Level heads must prevail.

So, to answer the question: If the bar called you back on May 1, I take it that you would go back. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I plan to. Our bar has heard that the liquor control board will have strict guideline in which ALL employees including entertainment must wear masks and gloves, they will have limited seating capacity and temperature taken for all coming in at the door and anyone over a specific temp will not be admitted. But that hasn't been written in stone and could change as the lockdown is still in effect for another 2 weeks at least.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
Im thinking hard about this too.
Just before the lockdown, I pulled the mic capsules from my now retired 600 mhz vocopros. Last two gigs I set up a glass bowl, a uv light on one side, and a terry soaked with alcohol. I would drop a mic capsule in the bowl for 10 min mainly to sanitize the front.
With 8 mic capsules thats about 30 min minimum before the capsule gets reused. The mic bodies got wiped with cheap vodka between singers.
Ill probably do the same if we reopen however Ill probably add wind screens. I plan on doing twofers, i.e. each regular singer gets two songs in a row if they can handle it.
I figure turnout will be low enough for a while to make that work.

Still thinking about it but I may buy a bunch of windscreens and sell them at cost so they can be taken home and washed.
Its a start.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:35 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

So, to answer the question: If the bar called you back on May 1, I take it that you would go back. Is that correct?

The answer is simple "Yes, I will go back". Haven't figured out the exact details and precautions that need to be addressed or altered at this moment. A lot depends on what our governor mandates. But for sure, I would go back in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

The answer is simple "Yes, I will go back". Haven't figured out the exact details and precautions that need to be addressed or altered at this moment. A lot depends on what our governor mandates. But for sure, I would go back in a heartbeat.

So when you do go back, are you going to wear a mask and gloves to protect yourself?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

So when you do go back, are you going to wear a mask and gloves to protect yourself?

Like I said, I have no idea what the governor is going to mandate or recommend, but I doubt very much that I will be wearing a mask, the availability is one reason, and I really doubt their effectiveness anyway. It's like asking your underwear to stop farts from smelling. As far as gloves go too, they are pointless unless you disinfect them as well after each person handles the mics or change them every singer and sanitize your hands. And hand sanitizer is only useful in the absence of the ability of washing your hands. The best thing we can do for ourselves is to go outside, play in the dirt, shake some hands, hug like you mean it and live life the way it was meant to be lived.

Like I said earlier, to live in fear of catching "something", one might as well live off all by themselves and never contact another living soul as long as they live. People are meant to be "social", and I for one can't wait to interact with others.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:45 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
mrscott wrote:
The best thing we can do for ourselves is to go outside, play in the dirt, shake some hands, hug like you mean it and live life the way it was meant to be lived.

Like I said earlier, to live in fear of catching "something", one might as well live off all by themselves and never contact another living soul as long as they live. People are meant to be "social", and I for one can't wait to interact with others.
Are you serious!?!?
It's not if YOU fear catching COVID-19, but if you're infected, it's about you SPREADING the virus to others then they exponentially spread it further. Whether you care or not that you get infected is how you live your life, but not caring about infecting others is just so irresponsible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:04 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

bazinga wrote:
mrscott wrote:
The best thing we can do for ourselves is to go outside, play in the dirt, shake some hands, hug like you mean it and live life the way it was meant to be lived.

Are you serious!?!?
It's not if YOU fear catching COVID-19, but if you're infected, it's about you SPREADING the virus to others then they exponentially spread it further. Whether you care or not that you get infected is how you live your life, but not caring about infecting others is just so irresponsible.

You misunderstand,,,, what I am saying is that a body needs to build an immunity to different outside sources. Remember when we were children (I remember oh so clearly) that we would go outside and play in the dirt, mud, have physical contact with others, among other social activities. That is how our bodies would build up an immunity to various dirty rotten little buggers (virus's). Nowaday's, everyone is so fearful of getting dirty, or think that it's a bad thing to get sick. Our parents (me included in those parents) would hear of a neighboring child who had chicken pox and they would take their children over to their house to expose them intentionally. That is how it works.

Now, while we don't understand this particular virus much yet, I am positive that science will find in the near future, some sort of vaccine to help protect us. Sure, until then, take the sensible precautions necessary at this point in time, because like I said, we don't know enough about Covid 19. What I AM saying is don't live in fear simply because a person "might" get sick. You also "might" get struck by lightening, or hit by a bus, or get ravaged by wild dogs (you get the picture). One thing you need to know about me is that I am deadly allergic to bee stings, one sting and I am a goner. And where I live there are hundreds of honey bee hives. Yet I still don't carry an epi-pen. Call it foolish, or carelessness,,, I call it not living in fear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
mrscott wrote:
Now, while we don't understand this particular virus much yet, I am positive that science will find in the near future, some sort of vaccine to help protect us. Sure, until then, take the sensible precautions necessary at this point in time, because like I said, we don't know enough about Covid 19. What I AM saying is don't live in fear simply because a person "might" get sick. You also "might" get struck by lightening, or hit by a bus, or get ravaged by wild dogs (you get the picture). One thing you need to know about me is that I am deadly allergic to bee stings, one sting and I am a goner. And where I live there are hundreds of honey bee hives. Yet I still don't carry an epi-pen. Call it foolish, or carelessness,,, I call it not living in fear.

That's what they hoped about AIDS too. Still no vaccine available but 20-30 years later, they now have very effective treatments but no cure. Still took quite a while to even get that far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 13 times
OK everybody..I know the Corna is Bad...it has been consuming everything....it seems like its all everyone is talking about...TV..News...Papers..ECT...I DO GET IT..Its Bad...but does it have to end up being a main topic on here..as well....we should be talking about new releases..songs we would like to see releases...the right or wrong way to do a show....Grated there is no karaoke going on right now..even here all bars are closed....but they will be open. It would just be nice to go and visit karaoke scene with that being here as well. Im not being rude or hateful....just the corna subject..is like beating a dead horse...we will get thru this...and life will get back to normal..hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

GK Productions wrote:
OK everybody..I know the Corna is Bad...it has been consuming everything....it seems like its all everyone is talking about...TV..News...Papers..ECT...I DO GET IT..Its Bad...but does it have to end up being a main topic on here..as well....we should be talking about new releases..songs we would like to see releases...the right or wrong way to do a show....Grated there is no karaoke going on right now..even here all bars are closed....but they will be open. It would just be nice to go and visit karaoke scene with that being here as well. Im not being rude or hateful....just the corna subject..is like beating a dead horse...we will get thru this...and life will get back to normal..hopefully soon.

Everyone is talking about it because it has totally changed our lives and probably continue to do so in the future. It's a life or death situation. And it's not to be taken lightly.

Not much else to talk about since karaoke is virtually non existent right now. And the topics you mention worth talking about such as the "right or wrong way to do a show", has been discussed a million times over.

I think that reaching out to other karaoke hosts about their thoughts about getting back to work safely during this pandemic, is more important than any new song releases.

But if talking about it bothers you, why don't you just skip this thread altogether. Nobody is making you read it... or participate in the discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
You misunderstand,,,, what I am saying is that a body needs to build an immunity to different outside sources. Remember when we were children (I remember oh so clearly) that we would go outside and play in the dirt, mud, have physical contact with others, among other social activities. That is how our bodies would build up an immunity to various dirty rotten little buggers (virus's).

Not so fast there, partner. Things are a lot different today than when we were kids. Today's strains of flu's and viruses, are a lot more advanced and take much longer to go away then in the past.

Remember the days when you used to get a cold or flu and you would just stay home and rest and take some over the counter medicine and in 3 days it would be gone. Now a days, they can last for weeks. I've heard so many people say: I've been fighting this thing for 3 weeks now and it's still not gone. Yes, it can take much longer for today's strains of "bugs" to go away.

And, just because you get a flu shot doesn't mean that you won't get the flu. While your chances are greatly reduced, you can still get it.

And finally, you may not have a fear about being in public but you create a risk of passing it on to others. You can still be a carrier of it and never get sick but still infect others. And as far as what you said about building up immunity...

There are many people with Auto-Immune diseases that have compromised or weakened immune systems. Passing on the virus to one of them can be deadly. So, it's not about fear, it's doing your part to protect your fellow man.

And one more thing before I end my rant...

The morons who are protesting, care only about themselves. They don't care about the risk they are imposing to others by not wearing masks or practicing social distancing. When some of these people contract the Corona Virus, they should be turned away from the hospital and not allowed treatment. After all, they're stupidity and selfishness only put health care workers in more danger and more risk. And since they don't care, why should we care about them?