KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Question about kiosks and remote functions Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:05 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
OK, because I am an idiot and have never been on the other side of any kiosk setups,,, how exactly do they work? When a singer does a search and puts in his/her own song request using a kiosk/remote, does the request automatically enter into the singers que? Or does the request flag something to the host who then has to enter the song himself/herself into the hosting program? Just exactly how does this all work? Naive minds want to know.

I think I have settled on purchasing Sax N Dotty's Professional hosting software so I can use both the songbook making functions as well as the remote functions. I have used pretty much all of the different software demos and come to the conclusion that Sax N Dotty's is the most familiar to use for me (the layout isn't much different than JustKaraoke)

Any other input and suggestions are most welcome and appreciated. Thanks so much.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I use the Remote Request System from CompuHost. I used to use it with a dedicated touch screen computer/monitor but now I just use with Smart Phones since that seems to be much more popular. The way it works is... your entire song library is available. Singers can search for a song either by Title or Artist. Once they've chosen a song, they enter their name and hit the Submit button. You get it instantly and the song automatically is put in under the singer's name in the rotation. You don't have to do anything. It does it all for you.

Now, a couple of things...

This only works with CompuHost hosting software. It integrates beautifully with it. And you don't need a monthly subscription and there are never any fees. You buy the add-on and you're done.

But you do need to use a wireless router to setup a network which people sign on to in order to use it. You do NOT need an internet connection since you are not connecting over the internet. You're creating a private network which is discoverable from your Smart Phone just like any other wireless network connection would appear. It's really simple to do.

I've been using it for several years now and it works flawlessly and customers love using their phones to send in their requests. And like I said, the best part is you don't use an internet connection and there are no monthly subscription fees like so many others.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

First a couple of comments in reply...

Do all the different softwares works the same as Compuhost? Since I am planning on using Sax N' Dotty,, they might not work the same way.

And as far as I can see, the naming of the files are critical in the remote functions working properly,, example: Tim McGraw vs. McGraw, Tim,,, or CBxxxx-05_-_Artist_-_Song-Title vs CBxxx-05 - Artist - Song Title. The vast majority of my songs are named in either of those two ways (95% of them) The other songs are backwards,,,, song then artist. When I finally get the software to load all the songs, I was planning on using the songbook maker function to identify the ones that I need to fix. I have been working steadily on reorganizing all my songs and I am finally done. However, there are still files that need addressing. And what about files that have no names attached ,,, like "Standard" or "Christmas" as the artist names... how does that work?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
mrscott wrote:

Do all the different softwares works the same as Compuhost? Since I am planning on using Sax N' Dotty,, they might not work the same way.

And as far as I can see, the naming of the files are critical in the remote functions working properly,, example: Tim McGraw vs. McGraw, Tim,,, or CBxxxx-05_-_Artist_-_Song-Title vs CBxxx-05 - Artist - Song Title. The vast majority of my songs are named in either of those two ways (95% of them) The other songs are backwards,,,, song then artist. When I finally get the software to load all the songs, I was planning on using the songbook maker function to identify the ones that I need to fix. I have been working steadily on reorganizing all my songs and I am finally done. However, there are still files that need addressing. And what about files that have no names attached ,,, like "Standard" or "Christmas" as the artist names... how does that work?

Get mp3tag and you can get all your songs in a uniform named pattern. Freeware so you don't have to buy anything and it will rename the mp3, CDG at the Same time. It will work in bulk or single file. It will also work on mp4.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:50 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Get mp3tag and you can get all your songs in a uniform named pattern. Freeware so you don't have to buy anything and it will rename the mp3, CDG at the Same time. It will work in bulk or single file. It will also work on mp4.

Very good to know,,, thanks Danny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:

Do all the different softwares works the same as Compuhost?

Probably not. Although I haven't used anything else. Most of the other songbook phone apps like Songbooks Online, are stand alone systems that require an internet connection and a monthly subscription of around $12 a month. Your singers would have to download the app in order to use it. But I don't believe they will enter your singers song selections into the rotation automatically.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Remember, CompuHost is a complete system which gives you the option of the kiosk and song book creator. They are options but are made to work and infiltrate beautifully within the program.

Anyway, my experience is with CH only. But I doubt that other programs can do the wireless kiosk/smartphone thing like CH can.

My advice: buy into CompuHost Version 3. Once you do, you'll get a reduced rate to upgrade to Version 4 when it comes out. And when it does come out, you're going to be amazed. That's all I have to say.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Probably not. Although I haven't used anything else. Most of the other songbook phone apps like Songbooks Online, are stand alone systems that require an internet connection and a monthly subscription of around $12 a month. Your singers would have to download the app in order to use it. But I don't believe they will enter your singers song selections into the rotation automatically.

Not worth it, in my opinion. Remember, CompuHost is a complete system which gives you the option of the kiosk and song book creator. They are options but are made to work and infiltrate beautifully within the program.

Anyway, my experience is with CH only. But I doubt that other programs can do the wireless kiosk/smartphone thing like CH can.

My advice: buy into CompuHost Version 3. Once you do, you'll get a reduced rate to upgrade to Version 4 when it comes out. And when it does come out, you're going to be amazed. That's all I have to say.

Alan, I have a problem spending that kind of money on a program, just to have to spend more money on another program to make it work the way I want.... and then only to pay more for the upgrades. Siglos Pro price includes the kiosk functions if I am not mistaken and it's more than a hundred bucks less than Compuhost with it's add-on costs. They get you coming and going if you let them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Siglos Karaoke Pro works just like CompuHost, but the best part is, unlike CompuHost, the remote/kiosk portion is integrated into the software so you never have to pay extra for this feature .... it's free! Besides having the request automatically added to the singer's song list, you can set it up to be added manually. I like to set it up this way because Karaoke Pro can hide all duplicate songs, if you so desire, but it will list the first manu of the song. I like to control this feature to use what I believe is the best version of the song. The singer sends in their request and it pops up on the remote que screen. You can also customize the remote/kiosk's main display screen to show your company's logo or anything else you want to display on the main screen. The remote/kiosk features are easily customizable. It can also display a button for the singer's history so they can look at what they've sung in the past. They simply have to log on using a screen name and password they pick. You can also have a separate selection where you have newly added songs listed since "you pick the date." You can also set it up to display the current que of singers. You can also setup the remote/kiosk for a special group of songs, such as Christmas songs. So during the holidays the singer will have a button to click on that will list all your Christmas songs instead of having to search for it. If you haven't tried Siglos Karaoke Pro's remote/kiosk feature I say give it a whirl, you got nothing to lose and remember all you'll need to do is setup a router for your singers to use, no internet connection required, no monthly or additional fees for using the remote/kiosk feature.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Alan, I have a problem spending that kind of money on a program, just to have to spend more money on another program to make it work the way I want.... and then only to pay more for the upgrades. Siglos Pro price includes the kiosk functions if I am not mistaken and it's more than a hundred bucks less than Compuhost with it's add-on costs. They get you coming and going if you let them.

Incremental updates are always free. It's only a fee when going to a new release, like any other program. But I understand what you're saying. I hope Siglos works out for you. I have tried it and didn't really like it. I also find that CH is so much easier to use and much more comprehensive. Worth every penny. But you have to do what's best for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:34 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

bazinga wrote:
Siglos Karaoke Pro works just like CompuHost, but the best part is, unlike CompuHost, the remote/kiosk portion is integrated into the software so you never have to pay extra for this feature .... it's free! Besides having the request automatically added to the singer's song list, you can set it up to be added manually. I like to set it up this way because Karaoke Pro can hide all duplicate songs, if you so desire, but it will list the first manu of the song. I like to control this feature to use what I believe is the best version of the song. The singer sends in their request and it pops up on the remote que screen. You can also customize the remote/kiosk's main display screen to show your company's logo or anything else you want to display on the main screen. The remote/kiosk features are easily customizable. It can also display a button for the singer's history so they can look at what they've sung in the past. They simply have to log on using a screen name and password they pick. You can also have a separate selection where you have newly added songs listed since "you pick the date." You can also set it up to display the current que of singers. You can also setup the remote/kiosk for a special group of songs, such as Christmas songs. So during the holidays the singer will have a button to click on that will list all your Christmas songs instead of having to search for it. If you haven't tried Siglos Karaoke Pro's remote/kiosk feature I say give it a whirl, you got nothing to lose and remember all you'll need to do is setup a router for your singers to use, no internet connection required, no monthly or additional fees for using the remote/kiosk feature.

bazinga,,
Thanks for your input and viewpoint... this is exactly what I am asking about. I think S&D will work exactly the way I am anticipating. I am not sure when I will order the program, but it will be soon. I am getting closer to being able to make it all come together.

Having the ability to print books is the next hurdle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Incremental updates are always free. It's only a fee when going to a new release, like any other program. But I understand what you're saying. I hope Siglos works out for you. I have tried it and didn't really like it. I also find that CH is so much easier to use and much more comprehensive. Worth every penny. But you have to do what's best for you. Good luck.

I had a terrible time figuring out how to make Compuhost work with the demo versions. Importing was not that clear to me. I actually found that the demo version of Sax N Dotty was very easy to get set up, imported and manage. It is more like I am used to using,, and that is Justkaraoke2. Layouts are fairly similar and basic functions are right on the main screen. I still hesitate in going into a computer's "settings" to make adjustments, it's just not something I am comfortable in doing. The only two things that Justkaraoke won't do that I am looking to have the capability of doing are,,, the kiosk/remote functions and the book printing/database capability...

Alan thank you though for your input and suggestions... they are very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:19 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I just realized something,,,, I was saying that I was planning on using Sax N Dotty software,,, that is not correct. I am planning using Siglos Pro....

Sometimes things get stuck in a persons head and it's hard to see past that idea... S

Siglos is what I want :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
mrscott wrote:

MrScott, you will not be disappointed with Siglos! I have been using it for years, so has Paradigm, and he can back me up when I say it is a very good hosting program that is very customizable! So is the remote/kiosk feature! I also used to use JustKaraoke2 along with the Super Remote Request Client, Siglos is easily a far better program. I have JustKaraoke2 on my laptop only as a backup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

bazinga wrote:
mrscott wrote:

MrScott, you will not be disappointed with Siglos! I have been using it for years, so has Paradigm, and he can back me up when I say it is a very good hosting program that is very customizable! So is the remote/kiosk feature! I also used to use JustKaraoke2 along with the Super Remote Request Client, Siglos is easily a far better program. I have JustKaraoke2 on my laptop only as a backup.

I have been using the demo version of Siglos Pro on the desktop here at the house just to see if I can learn how to use it. The demo is limiting and I don't have the ability at the moment to do the remote functions. If and when I do purchase the full version, can it be installed on multiple computers? I would like to install it here first before I put it on my laptop. Although the laptop is where it will be used on a more permanent basis. If it can only be put on one machine at a time per license, then I will put in directly on the laptop and go from there. I am also assuming that this same program can manage the kiosk at the same time that someone can search/enter from the database from their smart phones.... is that correct? That is another area for me to learn as well.

I still have a bit of work to do with renaming song files so it won't be so difficult when it comes time to do a printing. My plan is to have printed books for the old timers (like me),, 2 books by artist, 2 by song title. I have to figure out how to do the Hispanic section tho,,, I haven't a clue on who they are. Good thing there is only about 45 or so discs worth. It may be better just to integrate them into the main song books since there isn't that many of them. Once I have the library totally updated and fixed, then I will work on figuring out how to do the remote functions. I have an extra laptop, however, I really don't want to use a laptop for the general crowd to use. I would rather use a small format tower with a separate keyboard and monitor. That way, if something is spilled, the only thing that can be ruined would be the keyboard. I might consider an "all in one" computer just for ease of setup.

I have absolutely no experience or clue how to set up a remote, but I am sure I will figure it out with a lot of questions in the process. Once I have all the necessary tools (hosting/remote software, dj booth built, lights, backdrop/stage, and books), I will be ready to get my name out there and start doing some weddings and parties. At this point in time, I have the sound system ready, and about 2/3 of the lights I need, plus the most time consuming thing getting organized almost completely done, is the library. All it takes is time and money,,, time I have, money is another story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

I had a terrible time figuring out how to make Compuhost work with the demo versions. Importing was not that clear to me. I actually found that the demo version of Sax N Dotty was very easy to get set up, imported and manage. It is more like I am used to using,, and that is Justkaraoke2. Layouts are fairly similar and basic functions are right on the main screen. I still hesitate in going into a computer's "settings" to make adjustments, it's just not something I am comfortable in doing. The only two things that Justkaraoke won't do that I am looking to have the capability of doing are,,, the kiosk/remote functions and the book printing/database capability...

Alan thank you though for your input and suggestions... they are very much appreciated.

You must have a very old version of JustKaraoke. Mine integrates with Super Remote Request Tool perfectly. Don't even have to go online.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Danny, I bought my version of Justkaraoke2 about 3 years before Tricerasoft went belly up... so I think I have the latest one that was available at the time. I am not aware of any updates they made after version 2. I looked for the super remote request tool, and I did find some downloads online, but my security software flagged the websites, so I never even bothered looking any further into it. I'm not sure how the remote tool works, but it does sound interesting. I also sent a message to Chip about his stand alone software, but haven't heard back from him as of this time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:
Danny, I bought my version of Justkaraoke2 about 3 years before Tricerasoft went belly up... so I think I have the latest one that was available at the time. I am not aware of any updates they made after version 2. I looked for the super remote request tool, and I did find some downloads online, but my security software flagged the websites, so I never even bothered looking any further into it. I'm not sure how the remote tool works, but it does sound interesting. I also sent a message to Chip about his stand alone software, but haven't heard back from him as of this time.

In the edit area where you clear the database there's a server dialogue that once you click on it, it would pop up the server box that activates the server which once activated you would minimize it to your taskbar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:10 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
Realize i am on my own but I quite like Sax-N-Dotty Show Presenter Pro. I still manage rotation using a book so the kiosk hasn't been a factor in my choice, and I don't use any of the song purchasing in app. I believe Sax will be looking at some sort of rotation software in the future, whether it works as an add on or new software I'm not sure, but I've had many years of faithful service from it and can't complain! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:17 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Buster79 wrote:
Realize i am on my own but I quite like Sax-N-Dotty Show Presenter Pro. I still manage rotation using a book so the kiosk hasn't been a factor in my choice, and I don't use any of the song purchasing in app. I believe Sax will be looking at some sort of rotation software in the future, whether it works as an add on or new software I'm not sure, but I've had many years of faithful service from it and can't complain! :)

I used to use S & D a very long time ago. I was fine for what it was and did the job. But I soon figured out there were more efficient software available out there, so I switched to Justkaraoke. JK has served me well for about 10+ years, but now with what I want to do, even that software won't do what I need it to do. It all depends on a persons hosting styles and needs. No one software will be "perfect", it's only the one that is "perfect" for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
mrscott wrote:
I have been using the demo version of Siglos Pro on the desktop here at the house just to see if I can learn how to use it. The demo is limiting and I don't have the ability at the moment to do the remote functions.

the demo allows you to do everything except load more than 250 songs into the library, and play over 2 minutes of a song.
all remote functions are available to try out.
mrscott wrote:
If and when I do purchase the full version, can it be installed on multiple computers?

yes, Siglos license includes 2 installs.
mrscott wrote:
I would like to install it here first before I put it on my laptop. Although the laptop is where it will be used on a more permanent basis. If it can only be put on one machine at a time per license, then I will put in directly on the laptop and go from there.

you can do exactly as you like installing on your desktop at home to get used to it.
mrscott wrote:
I am also assuming that this same program can manage the kiosk at the same time that someone can search/enter from the database from their smart phones.... is that correct? That is another area for me to learn as well.

you are correct, everything is managed from within Siglos and WHERE they are looking at the songs and sending their requests from is irrelevant.

mrscott wrote:
I still have a bit of work to do with renaming song files so it won't be so difficult when it comes time to do a printing.
if your files are named in common formats, it will be no problem. you can export the database in csv format to import into excel for wasy printing of books.
mrscott wrote:
My plan is to have printed books for the old timers (like me),, 2 books by artist, 2 by song title. I have to figure out how to do the Hispanic section tho,,, I haven't a clue on who they are. Good thing there is only about 45 or so discs worth. It may be better just to integrate them into the main song books since there isn't that many of them.

if they did not get marked somehow, you are correct in it being easier to just leave them for now.
mrscott wrote:
Once I have the library totally updated and fixed, then I will work on figuring out how to do the remote functions.

it is simple....really simple to use.
mrscott wrote:
I have an extra laptop, however, I really don't want to use a laptop for the general crowd to use. I would rather use a small format tower with a separate keyboard and monitor. That way, if something is spilled, the only thing that can be ruined would be the keyboard. I might consider an "all in one" computer just for ease of setup.

i found a company on ebay selling off a lot of Dell Latitude d600 laptops for $250 for 10 of them.
not high power by any means, but can go to a website just fine and work great. i can honestly say that computers have not once gotten spilled on whereas books were spilled on the day they first got put out.

mrscott wrote:
I have absolutely no experience or clue how to set up a remote, but I am sure I will figure it out with a lot of questions in the process.

the hardest part is stopping yourself from thinking it's harder than it is. overthinking it is the biggest obstacle.
bring on the questions, i have been using Siglos for nearly 12 years and have been part of the beta group developing the remote request service for it so ask away.