KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Critique Karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 18 times
hi, I've been kicking this idea around for awhile...I want to set it up where singers can be Critiqued just not sure how to go about it...I thought of making slips and giving people in the crowd the slips with guide lines like...1 to 10...EMOTION, PITCH, ETC. BUT if lets say you had just 15 singers and each wanted to be critiqued and each person sang say 3 songs that's a lotta slips..then I thought ok have each singer picks 1 song to be critiqued still that's a lotta slips..i want to do it but not sure how to pull it off...I feel the singers could learn from the feed back, but again not sure how to go abut it.. HELPPPPPP...ty

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Critique Karaoke
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I think it's a stupid idea. People come out to have fun, not be judged.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
I am with Alan on this one. One of the biggest reasons for opposing contests is that it can scare away the shy singers from even putting a song in. Karaoke was meant to be fun not a competition in my opinion. In fact I don't believe that it was designed for the good to great voices but for everyone to be able to live out the dream of fronting their favorite band without any regards to vocal quality. Yes great voices are more pleasant but everyone should be allowed to have their fun. Knowingly being judged for those who already know their inadequacies and are brave enough to continue to get out of their comfort zone isn't anyone's idea of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I am with Alan on this one. One of the biggest reasons for opposing contests is that it can scare away the shy singers from even putting a song in. Karaoke was meant to be fun not a competition in my opinion. In fact I don't believe that it was designed for the good to great voices but for everyone to be able to live out the dream of fronting their favorite band without any regards to vocal quality. Yes great voices are more pleasant but everyone should be allowed to have their fun.

I disagree. I feel singers want to improve and honest feed back is one of the best ways.. I never mentioned a contest, just honest feedback. no fluff just fellow singers being honest with each other WITHOUT giving out names..
And it's totally up to the person that's singing whether are not they would like to be critiqued..Whether YOU like it are not your being judged every time you sing you just don't hear it..All people have an opinion whether their a singer are not, and the truth is it counts just as much as a non singer's opinion...I have found that a lot very good singers keep their mouth shut as far as giving someone a pat
on the back...mostly because their more into themselves and could careless about other singers. plenty of good singers I've seen more then once walk out and go to the bathroom r whatever if that person singing is even close to being good..
I'm not talking contest at all I don't like contest, most are rigged 1 way are the other..just honest feedback..
I would say 99% ok 95% of the singers on American Idol are The Voice never sang in a band, but i'll bet ALL have sang at karaoke at 1 time are another...
We use to have Critiques on this very site IF you wanted it, just check the box...so how is that a stupid idea? If I have say 20 people all telling me that I lacked emotion in a song I sang I would take notice. I may not agree with them but at least it's something to think about, Eon's ago on this very site we had a blast listening AND Critiquing each other and NO ONE back then thought it was a stupid idea, in fact we learned from it..

"for those who already know their inadequacies and are brave enough to continue to get out of their comfort zone isn't anyone's idea of fun.
trouble with that is Most do not know their inadequacies. but Most do want to improve...

BUT you have your opinion..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
max wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am with Alan on this one. One of the biggest reasons for opposing contests is that it can scare away the shy singers from even putting a song in. Karaoke was meant to be fun not a competition in my opinion. In fact I don't believe that it was designed for the good to great voices but for everyone to be able to live out the dream of fronting their favorite band without any regards to vocal quality. Yes great voices are more pleasant but everyone should be allowed to have their fun.

I disagree. I feel singers want to improve and honest feed back is one of the best ways.. I never mentioned a contest, just honest feedback. no fluff just fellow singers being honest with each other WITHOUT giving out names..
And it's totally up to the person that's singing whether are not they would like to be critiqued..Whether YOU like it are not your being judged every time you sing you just don't hear it..All people have an opinion whether their a singer are not, and the truth is it counts just as much as a non singer's opinion...I have found that a lot very good singers keep their mouth shut as far as giving someone a pat
on the back...mostly because their more into themselves and could careless about other singers. plenty of good singers I've seen more then once walk out and go to the bathroom r whatever if that person singing is even close to being good..
I'm not talking contest at all I don't like contest, most are rigged 1 way are the other..just honest feedback..
I would say 99% ok 95% of the singers on American Idol are The Voice never sang in a band, but i'll bet ALL have sang at karaoke at 1 time are another...
We use to have Critiques on this very site IF you wanted it, just check the box...so how is that a stupid idea? If I have say 20 people all telling me that I lacked emotion in a song I sang I would take notice. I may not agree with them but at least it's something to think about, Eon's ago on this very site we had a blast listening AND Critiquing each other and NO ONE back then thought it was a stupid idea, in fact we learned from it..

"for those who already know their inadequacies and are brave enough to continue to get out of their comfort zone isn't anyone's idea of fun.
trouble with that is Most do not know their inadequacies. but Most do want to improve...

BUT you have your opinion..

That's what your close real friends are for. You don't need to know from complete strangers that you just made a fool of yourself. At least that's how I feel. If your friends are real friends they won't lie to you but give you constructive criticism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:16 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
How about critique through applause?
No applause: not good enough
Lots of applause: really good

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:59 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
A few years back, I did a show at our local college where they wanted to run a "contest". Winner would get their books for the semester paid by the college. The entire show was only 3 hours long, and they wanted to run it as a "gong" show. Finalists narrowed down by not getting gonged.... Totally a bad decision. It hurt so many feelings on these kids. Same thing would happen with drunk people. Only difference, they aren't going to have hurt feelings, they are going to be drunk and pissed for bad critiques... NO bueno!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrscott wrote:
A few years back, I did a show at our local college where they wanted to run a "contest". Winner would get their books for the semester paid by the college. The entire show was only 3 hours long, and they wanted to run it as a "gong" show. Finalists narrowed down by not getting gonged.... Totally a bad decision. It hurt so many feelings on these kids. Same thing would happen with drunk people. Only difference, they aren't going to have hurt feelings, they are going to be drunk and pissed for bad critiques... NO bueno!!

The difference is YOU agree to the critique IF you want it.. it's a way to learn...if I asked 10 people if the song I sang was a good song for me to sing and 9 said noooooo, I think you may get the hint..just drop the song, if 9 said no your better off anyway..JMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:49 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

max,, go ahead and give it a go,,,see what happens. In my opinion, it's a bad decision, but it will be your bad decision, not ours.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:38 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
It will turn out to be just like the singers showcase right here. Horrible singers will get the best compliments from other bad singers in hopes of receiving the same in return. Anyone who gives an honest negative critique will get the same old cliche': If you don't have anything nice to say; don't say anything at all. It's a no-win situation if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

KJKILLER wrote:
It will turn out to be just like the singers showcase right here. Horrible singers will get the best compliments from other bad singers in hopes of receiving the same in return. Anyone who gives an honest negative critique will get the same old cliche': If you don't have anything nice to say; don't say anything at all. It's a no-win situation if you ask me.

On that I may agree...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

max wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:

On that I may agree...

it may turn out to be just like it was when I got into karaoke..i wanted the best equip I could get because I felt and still do that the better the equip the better chance you have of sounded good r at least better, IF you also know how to use your equip. sad to say I found out that in the end most really don't care as long as they can hear themselves that's good enough..but all things being equal I still believe the person that can make them sound better will win out.... I HAVE TO BELIEVE people do want to improve. regardless of what they say deep inside they want to get better it's NOT just for fun. JMO..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

AND if no one wanted to be critiqued the shows like American Idol and the voice and all over the world wouldn't be so popular..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
max wrote:
AND if no one wanted to be critiqued the shows like American Idol and the voice and all over the world wouldn't be so popular..

This is not American Idol or The Voice. It's karaoke. A place where people go to have fun not to be judged by someone like you. The bar is not paying you to judge people. It's paying you to provide a good time for it's patrons.

You're idea is one of the most asinine I ever herd of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Just be prepared to lose a pretty good portion of your regulars and any newbies that come in for the 1st time.

I've sang professionally with a few that have had recording, live, and touring successes as well as with local pros that are counted as friends over the years and I wouldn't attend. I'm sure none of those friends that do not have an aversion to karaoke would attend either.

Maybe you should ask the venue owner how they feel about your 'idear'

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:16 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well.
People like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Alan B wrote:
max wrote:

This is not American Idol or The Voice. It's karaoke. A place where people go to have fun not to be judged by someone like you. The bar is not paying you to judge people. It's paying you to provide a good time for it's patrons.

You're idea is one of the most asinine I ever herd of.

I wouldn't be the one judging. IF they decided that they wanted to be judged then anyone in the room could critique them..Why do YOU feel so strongly about Not being critiqued? All you would have to say is NO THANKS. Besides to some I believe they would feel it WOULD be fun, NOT TORTURE as you imply. YOU don't feel being on American Idol are The Voice would be fun? Only Karaoke at it's simplest form is fun? Interesting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
Just be prepared to lose a pretty good portion of your regulars and any newbies that come in for the 1st time.

I've sang professionally with a few that have had recording, live, and touring successes as well as with local pros that are counted as friends over the years and I wouldn't attend. I'm sure none of those friends that do not have an aversion to karaoke would attend either.

Maybe you should ask the venue owner how they feel about your 'idear'

I'm guessing ALL of you are missing the point...it's FREE WILL. If you would like to be critiqued fine, if not that's fine also..Now tell me again why anyone would leave?

I've sang professionally" Then let me ask you this...Has a friend EVER walked up to you and asked , Hey Man What Did You Think? IF so, did you just walk away are did you give an honest opinion? a Critique? Betting you did. JMO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

earthling12357 wrote:
While you're at it, you should let them know if they're too fat as well.
People like that.

AGAIN, It's NOT ME that's doing the critique...and it's only for those that would like it...I'm guessing with YOUR attitude you have NEVER clapped for anyone after a performance either..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:14 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

max, I believe we understand that it would not be you doing the critiquing and that karaoke is not American Idol, but look at it from this way,,,,

You came in here with what you believed to be a great idea (equate that to a singer wanting to genuinely ask for a critique). "You" (singer) asked for our opinion (critique), and what you got was a lot of negative critiques and even some heckling. Then "you" (singer) got a little defensive and argued that your idea (song performance) was indeed great. Max, you did not take that so well. Neither will your singers, even if they ask for an honest opinion, just as you did. If your wife asked you how she looked, unless you like sleeping on the couch, your answer better be, "honey, you look beautiful", even if she looks like a circus clown.