KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - San Diego trip Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: San Diego trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Next week, from Friday March 22th through Wednesday March 27, my entire family will be going on vacation to San Diego (Friday in Las Vegas, Nevada tho). I am not sure if my better half will feel up to going out (without the kids of course) for karaoke or not, but I want to be prepared if she does.

Do any of you knowledgeable people know of a good karaoke spot in the Mission Bay area for that weekend? Since neither of us are drinkers, we would want to support the venue with food purchases. So good food and good karaoke are a must. Hopefully a place that is clean and a lot of fun.

Thanks in advance :D

Scott

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: San Diego trip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I would love to also be able to meet up with someone from this forum who might just want to do the same.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Bueller? Bueller?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

It's so quiet in here. Are there no karaokescene members that live in the San Diego area? J.D. Don't you live in the Hollyweird area? Surely you have heard of karaoke in San Diego... thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrscott wrote:
Since neither of us are drinkers, we would want to support the venue with food purchases. So good food and good karaoke are a must. Hopefully a place that is clean and a lot of fun. Scott

MrScott - I also know a family restaurant, good karaoke and good food. It’s about 475 miles from San Diego via I-5N or 530 miles from Vegas. My show is 20 miles east of San Francisco, Fri & Sat. Pm me if you’ll be passing by the area. 8)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Brian A wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Since neither of us are drinkers, we would want to support the venue with food purchases. So good food and good karaoke are a must. Hopefully a place that is clean and a lot of fun. Scott

MrScott - I also know a family restaurant, good karaoke and good food. It’s about 475 miles from San Diego via I-5N or 530 miles from Vegas. My show is 20 miles east of San Francisco, Fri & Sat. Pm me if you’ll be passing by the area. 8)

If only that were the direction we would be taking. I would love to visit one day. Actually we are talking about a northern California trip one day as well. Hopefully somewhere near the redwoods, maybe Calaveras area. Thanks for the invite :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Do a Yelp search. Should be able to find a place nearby you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=k ... 2C+CA&ns=1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:59 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=karaoke+bar&find_loc=Mission+Bay%2C+San+Diego%2C+CA&ns=1

Once again, thanks for that link. But, I have looked at those types of reviews. I was hoping for something more personal from one of the members here. I guess there is nobody on karaokescene who has ever been to karaoke in San Diego. Sad day really. Oh well, if I do go out to a spot, I guess I will just have to do so all on my own accord.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Just pick a few near where you're staying, call them first to see if they still have Karaoke.....then try one or two each evening until you find one that's comfortable. Kinda do a Karaoke crawl. Best I can suggest.

Now, if you were coming to Portland, Oregon, I'd simply direct you to my Karaoke bloq I write PORTLAND KARAOKE REVIEW

https://www.facebook.com/Swingcatpdx1/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

(The story on the KARAOKE FROM HELL live Karaoke band has been submitted to Peter Parker at KS Mag publication.....so keep a look-out for when it is published on KS Mag)

HA!!

Hope this helps!
----Kurt-----

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 21 times
mrscott wrote:
SwingcatKurt wrote:
https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=karaoke+bar&find_loc=Mission+Bay%2C+San+Diego%2C+CA&ns=1

Once again, thanks for that link. But, I have looked at those types of reviews. I was hoping for something more personal from one of the members here. I guess there is nobody on karaokescene who has ever been to karaoke in San Diego. Sad day really. Oh well, if I do go out to a spot, I guess I will just have to do so all on my own accord.

Mr. Scott,

Pretty Sure The Lone Ranger is/was from the San Diego area... Even Though He Isn't Actively doing weekly shows, if you private message him, he probably still knows the scene for your San Diego trip... I could be mistaken, but it could be worth your time & effort...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:13 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Follow up on the San Diego trip.

We actually did find time to go to two different places, both on the same night (Tuesday). We didn't like the first one nor the second one. We only stayed long enough at both places to sing one song each and then left. Both had issues. So we went back to our motel room and chilled the rest of the night.

First place was a place right on the beach called the 710 Beach Club. We searched the web to find a place that had good reviews on karaoke and food. Then we called ahead to find out if they actually were doing karaoke and had food. We were told yes to both. We arrived at 9:05 and were welcomed right at the door by the host himself. Friendly kid for sure. Both he and his partner (cute girl) had tons of energy for sure, but were lost in keeping things moving smoothly. (computer issues and kept getting distracted for various reasons). We did get up to sing quickly and the crowd was ready to break loose and have fun. The problem was the hosts were too busy with whatever was distracting them. Sound system was fairly adequate, but was really too loud for the vocals. They were using karafun for their player and library. No books or kiosk available anywhere. Just had to ask if they had our songs we wanted to sing, which was not a problem for our choices. It was hard to have a conversation with each other or let the wait staff know what we wanted.

Like I said, we arrived at 9:05 and were told the kitchen closes at 9, so we weren't able to order food. I wish they would have said that the kitchen closed early when we called ahead. So, we looked around the neighborhood to find a place that we could order food and maybe bring it in. The wait staff was friendly, but because there was no food available we decided to leave instead. If I had to choose again, I would go somewhere else instead.

Second place was called the Lamplighter. Bad neighborhood if you ask me. Dive bar with the dedicated alcoholics in attendance. Not busy at all though. Waitress was great, so was the bartender. Prices were fair. The drink that my girlfriend ordered was too too strong and made from simple syrup instead of real lemon juice. It was horrid she said and was unable to drink it. Bartender came over and his solution was to drink part of it and dilute it down with lemonade. Not a good solution to a bad drink. And again, no food. Luckily we had ordered some food to take with us and stopped to pick it up. The service from the bar staff and the karaoke host was fast and friendly. The host was an old timer that was also using karafun and CAVS. Books were available to look for song choices, but no kiosk. The host was definitely skilled and had the system tuned in just right. Not too loud, and used good gear with Shure SM58 mics. Small stage with some basic lighting. This place has karaoke 7 nights a week and is set up pretty decently, it's just that the crowd was too much into their own misery and finding the bottom of their glasses to care if someone was singing or not. I liked the host for sure and how he was doing his job, it's just the place needs to find a new clientele. Maybe it is just a neighborhood dive bar and that's all it will ever be, but it needs some life. I would return if given the chance, but with friends only to watch each others backs.

All in all, the trip and vacation was a ton of fun, but if that is the best San Diego has to offer for karaoke, then I will just stick to Sea World.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
mrscott wrote:
All in all, the trip and vacation was a ton of fun, but if that is the best San Diego has to offer for karaoke, then I will just stick to Sea World.

The barking sea lions are better singers than the locals?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

dsm2000 wrote:
mrscott wrote:

The barking sea lions are better singers than the locals?

That's funny!! :lol: I saw the sea lions, and I must say they were definitely in tune with each other.