KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice what the hell is wrong with you??? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:58 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 49 times
The only people who are die hard SC fanatics are the ones who were singing at karaoke shows in it's infancy, and most of them don't attend karaoke shows very much, if at all. These folks are now parents, and even grandparents of 20 somethings who are now the attendees at karaoke shows. I can assure you that the majority of today's karaoke attendees don't give a damn about what " version " you have, as long as you have the songs they wish to sing.

SC shot themselves in the foot years ago, by not keeping up with the current technology, or karaoke music buying trends of the consumer. We all wanted to buy individual downloads, and not an entire disk, for one or two songs. SC said " No! " It is their stubbornness and greed that have significantly help bring about their demise. Now they come up with one hair-brained scheme after another. They should either get with the program, or just pi$$ off altogether.
Rant over :-x

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
BT Magic wrote:
The only people who are die hard SC fanatics are the ones who were singing at karaoke shows in it's infancy, and most of them don't attend karaoke shows very much, if at all. These folks are now parents, and even grandparents of 20 somethings who are now the attendees at karaoke shows. I can assure you that the majority of today's karaoke attendees don't give a damn about what " version " you have, as long as you have the songs they wish to sing.

SC shot themselves in the foot years ago, by not keeping up with the current technology, or karaoke music buying trends of the consumer. We all wanted to buy individual downloads, and not an entire disk, for one or two songs. SC said " No! " It is their stubbornness and greed that have significantly help bring about their demise. Now they come up with one hair-brained scheme after another. They should either get with the program, or just pi$$ off altogether.
Rant over :-x

i can't think of a single thing in here that is not 100% correct and that we have been telling them for a good decade now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i can't think of a single thing in here that is not 100% correct and that we have been telling them for a good decade now.

We've also been telling them for a good decade now about all the pirates in our areas. And you can see how well that went over.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:07 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Yes anyone can still do a professional show without SC tracks but in the long term and i've proved it to myself in many area's of the world that when you go to a karaoke bar, you will see that soundchoice track being played before any others.

Fewer and fewer these days, though. In my travels, I'm seeing new regular singers--younger ones--and the manufacturer I'm seeing the most of these days is KV, because they are doing newer songs at a high production value (I don't like their swipes, though--something about the graphics is off-putting.

Some songs will likely always be karaoke staples, even among the younger crowd. But the ratio is shifting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:43 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
BT hit it on the head, SC should have taken a clue from other manufacturers lately, like KV or Party Tyme. Most here would spend a little more for SC if the quality remained, maybe even $5 a download. The main issues in many parts of the country is the overall decline of karaoke, especially east coast. When I got into the business 25 years ago, some venues were doing 7 nights a week, and we were getting $250 a night plus tips. In Fl. you're lucky to get $100 for a 3 hr gig, pretty sad, so spending monthly for a subscription is crazy, anyway just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:23 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Capt Frank wrote:
BT hit it on the head, SC should have taken a clue from other manufacturers lately, like KV or Party Tyme. Most here would spend a little more for SC if the quality remained, maybe even $5 a download. The main issues in many parts of the country is the overall decline of karaoke, especially east coast. When I got into the business 25 years ago, some venues were doing 7 nights a week, and we were getting $250 a night plus tips. In Fl. you're lucky to get $100 for a 3 hr gig, pretty sad, so spending monthly for a subscription is crazy, anyway just my 2 cents.

I don't even think many would pay $5 to SC these days no matter what business model they followed. We used to buy SC because of quality and that was the sole reason. Chart buster even sucks compared to SC. But others have upped their game or joined the game at a quality level these days. Supply and demand means SC would be hard pressed to get that kind of rate from anyone but the dullest tools in the shed. Even if they were worth that quality wise, and they will never be, the head aches of dealing with them makes $1 tracks unattractive.

SC was the sexy hot blonde in her 20s who became a major high maintenance diva in her 30s and is now the over weight major high maintenance over the hill has been. Sleep with her if you want, but you'll need a bag over her head with a pic from her 20s taped to it if you want to relive her glory. That's if yoiu can get past the sagging skin.... But remember, morning will come and the diva will want her eggs over easy, bacon firm but not crisp, milk ice cold and your American Express card.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:
Chart buster even sucks compared to SC.

Chartbuster's forte' is country. Nobody does country better than Chartbuster. If a singer wants to sing a country song and doesn't specify a version, my go to will always be Chartbuster first.

But I agree with everything else you said. I wouldn't pay $5 a track for an SC song either. At this point, there is no need for SC anything. We've gotten by just fine for the past 10 years without any new SC music.

Nobody wants to be forced to buy a piece of music, that you can download from the other players for between $2 and $3 dollars a track. A track that you own forever. No stipulations, no strings, no monthly fees, and no subscriptions.

I don't see how they can compete. Like you said, in this point in time, the other players have stepped up their game and produce quality tracks. SC no longer has the advantage. It's a different ballgame now.

I really don't see how SC is going to be successful with this new model of theirs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Chart buster did do better at Country. I have some I still use.

Honestly, I'll take the SBI country tracks of today over the Chart buster or SC of yesterday. But that isn't the main point... LOL

Or maybe some of it is?????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 49 times
Alan B wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

We've also been telling them for a good decade now about all the pirates in our areas. And you can see how well that went over.

Alan, you are correct, sir! Before I left Ohio I was constantly having to justify my rates with club owners, because of all of the pirates saying they would do 4 hrs of karaoke for $50-$100 + a free bar tab. Sadly, from what I hear from many of my friends back in Ohio is that most of these pirates are still doing shows. SC stirred up this crap about pirates, just to sell more discs, period! They never had any intention about going after these illegal hosts, unless it would put more money in their pockets! And, lest we forget, this is the same manu that at one time produced some music and discs for which they did not have the rights to do so. This sends up quite a few red flags, and calls their integrity into question. The list goes on, but unlike SC I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
MrBoo wrote:
SC was the sexy hot blonde in her 20s who became a major high maintenance diva in her 30s and is now the over weight major high maintenance over the hill has been. Sleep with her if you want, but you'll need a bag over her head with a pic from her 20s taped to it if you want to relive her glory. That's if yoiu can get past the sagging skin.... But remember, morning will come and the diva will want her eggs over easy, bacon firm but not crisp, milk ice cold and your American Express card.

I think these days most people would just chew off their leg first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

BT Magic wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

SC stirred up this crap about pirates, just to sell more discs, period! They never had any intention about going after these illegal hosts, unless it would put more money in their pockets! /quote]
and they didn't even do that...they only went after legal hosts who could pay just to get them off their backs.
at least in Arizona, i know legal hosts, and i know pirates. and every pirate i know (event hose i reported) have never been touched, but every one that HAS been hit...was 1:1 above board. 100% of them...not a single pirate hit.
why would they do that you ask?
pirates have no money (generally) so what can SC get? nothing.
the 1:1 hosts put money into their business so they have skin in the game and will pay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
PEP has got to be hoping to land that 1st artist that through them will have a hit and they will have an exclusive and from there build to another and another. Problem is, who nowadays has come out with anything that will stand the test of time.

What we think they are up to with a subscription service is bound to fail, being the only way it could ever succeed is over the long haul with newbies entering Hosting with absolutely no library. Then again when I leave the business I will be selling my library to them. That's why I think they are interested in funding new artists and have been trying that in the Denver area.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Honestly, you might want to have a decent catalog BEFORE you start selling subscriptions. No it doesn't have to be huge, but it needs to have some things we can actually USE.

They also might have more karaoke hosts interested their service if they didn't sue them. I'm not talking about the pirates (if any) they sued, but KJs who bought CDs and then got sued for 1:1 media shifting.

Looking at their YouTube page as of the time of this post, They only have 44 people who have subscribed to the channel. That number doesn't mean much to me, but there is only 2 songs that have over 100 views...

Of those 2, one is available on KV. So unless you're playing a LOT of Diamonds & Rust, is the service worth the money?

PEP/SC is doing what it did with CDs: Slowly releasing music... They also want us to pay more then industry average for what basically is TWO songs that you MIGHT use.

Sorry, until things change for the better (more value being the primary reason), It's a strong pass on this (dis-)service.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
When a dog bites it's owner, it must be put down. This company "Phoenix Entertainment" has bit it's owners. You go ahead and pay $99 per month to use the tracks. That's $1200 per year (Per Set). I have replaced all my tracks with KV, SBI and run numerous shows. Guess what!? NOBODY COMPLAINS!... Now all things considered, I have spent a few thousand dollars replacing my vital files, but I do not have to answer to the Phoenix mafia. It feels good to be free!!! Honestly, I am embarrassed for anyone even displaying their (SC) logo.. Even if your paying the mob bosses, other KJ's who see you playing SC will not say a word and just assume you are playing pirated tracks. I just prefer to stay away from that dark cloud. I could understand the praising of SC if you are an old KJ who was brought up in the day of SC and CB being king of the hill, but those days are over. SC is just another of the numerous manufacturers.. Difference is, they (SC) bit their owners....

If you are certified, be sure to let all your customers know. Why? Because KJ's like me are informing customers that it is illegal to play SC unless you pay them an arm and a leg and that most KJ's who play SC tracks are pirates. Customers may also assume you are not legal in turn possibly costing you private events.. So be sure to post a large sign for them..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Customers overall neither know nor care anything about karaoke legalities. Do you have my song? That is all they worry about. Practically none of them even understand, or can be made to understand, there are different producers and brands. The SC logo means squat to all but the oldest singers.

And there's no reason to assume seeing the logo means pirate. Remember, practically every SC disc ever sold is in use somewhere, either with a disc-based host, or a 1:1 computerized host. And in at least four federal court districts, the latter has been found to be, if not technically legal, virtually legal because the media shifting of SC product itself has been determined to NOT be trademark infringement.

While I'm sure the majority of pirates use illegal copies of Sound Choice, all the legal copies are out there too, and cost so much it is unlikely there are many out of use.

I use mine and will continue to do so, because I paid for them. Not that I don't get a kick out of replacing a SC version when I run across a better version by another producer. That's not as rare as it was 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So it seems that from all of the feedback generated from this post, we can conclude that:

Most of us will not pay for any type of subscription or monthly fees to obtain new SC tracks.
SC is no longer wanted or needed to run a successful show.
Most of us are very happy with the quality of other manufacturers tracks.

As I said above, SC is giving loyal supporters the shaft with their new business model. That's not the way to treat your customers who have supported you throughout the years.

In the 10 years or so that SC hasn't produced new music, we've been obtaining it from other sources like KV, SBI, Sunfly, Zoom, etc. And no one has ever complained about the quality.

The only thing that SC has proven by not producing karaoke tracks for the past 10 years is that "KJ's don't need them". We got by fine without you and continue to run successful shows without you.

I really think that SC should look to other avenues to pursue and get out of the karaoke business.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
And there's no reason to assume seeing the logo means pirate..

I can see where you might believe this, but you are simply wrong. More and more shows are going away from SC for fear of lawsuit. These KJ's are being asked why they do not carry SC. I promise you that the KJ's are not telling the clients, "Because I just don't feel like it!". KJ's are informing their clientele. Do not underestimate karaoke singers. They are beginning to understand what SC is doing and why. Those of us who now stay away from SC are informing singers that most KJ's who use SC are doing so illegally. You can refuse to believe it if you want to, but I am being asked less and less by new singers for SC tracks. A singer recently asked me if I had any power karaoke versions of SC. When I asked him what that was, he stated that some KJ's are removing SC visuals and replacing them with alternate ones in order to remove the logo. I informed him that SC still owned the copyright to a handful of tracks and could still potentially sue a KJ and venue if they "converted" the wrong track. You are welcome to disagree with me on the education of your singers, but why take that chance?

Also, for FYI although extremely unlikely, you are still using tracks that could potentially although unlikely, open you up for a lawsuit from producers as the rights to produce almost all of SC's tracks were never obtained legally. So this basically means that every KJ who brags about being certified through PEP is still technically using illegal audio recordings.. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
You are forgetting one other "type" of karaoke host that MIGHT be using SC in their show. One such as I, who was sued but after three years had PEP drop the suit because I eventually, upon suggestion of my attorney, stopped being stubborn and gave them what they asked for. A carbon-copy of my hard drive as well as pictures of over 1,000 karaoke discs, which I have been purchasing since the mid-90's. I am very proud and happy to say that PEP/SC haven't received a dime from me personally since the last disc I purchased in 2008 or so! They never will again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Karaokedude69 wrote:
Those of us who now stay away from SC are informing singers that most KJ's who use SC are doing so illegally.

By and large, though--the crowd does not care if it's a legal set up or a pirated set up. When I speak anti-piracy stuff here (which I really haven't in a while), it's because there's just something about it in general that bothers me--the entitlement of "I want this, but don't want to pay for it."

Now, that said, as a karaoke singer? I'm am certain I have been to regular, recurring shows in multiple states that were pirate shows--I wouldn't have known that had I not started posting here years ago. And, as a singer? It doesn't even register, not in the slightest. Do I like Sound Choice product? Sure. Ten years ago, I'd be bothered if it wasn't an option for a song that I knew was available, because there were a lot more bad versions of things as a percentage than I feel there are now.

Now, though? I don't care what version I get of something because the quality has increased (especially on the new-new songs, which SC obviously has never produced versions of). But I also didn't care if a show was a pirate show or a legit show, as long as the atmosphere was good, things sounded ok, and I was having a good time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:
But I also didn't care if a show was a pirate show or a legit show, as long as the atmosphere was good, things sounded ok, and I was having a good time.

and this is what i have been saying.
nobody but hosts care, singers only care that we have their song, it sounds good, and they have fun.
i'm not trying to attack you at all NoShame, your post just kind of opened the door and helped reinforce what i have been saying is the ACTUAL problem.