KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Singing With A Band Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Singing With A Band
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
In this neck-o-the-woods we have country jamborees, usually on Sunday afternoons.. They are normally hosted by a decent quality local band, and they're always well-attended... sometimes standing room only, and the dance floor is almost always filled.

After the mid-gig intermission, non-band member musicians and singers are encouraged to play and/or sing with the host band, and since many of the band members are my friends, and attend my karaoke gigs, I'm often asked to sing with them..

But I find it almost impossible..

Somehow, I just can't get used to ... how can I put this... musicians playing to (or following) me, instead of me singing to a pre-recorded track. And, of course, the first thing they ask is "what key do you want?"... Heck, I don't even know if it has a key, let alone what it might be. How can you tell I'm NOT a musician (although I'd love to be.)

More often than not, I make up some excuse as to why I can't sing on that particular day, but the truth is, I simply find it too uncomfortable to sing with a band...

Has anyone else here experienced this?

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Singing With A Band
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Nearly all musicians know what key the original recording was in. If you know whether you sing it dropped or raised a half or full step they'll get it. It is usually easier to sing with a live band because they follow you, especially, if you give gestures to them like raising volume, lowering volume, cut for dynamics, and pointing to each for their solo, etc. That, to me, is fronting for the band and it is a visual to the audience, also.

On the other hand, most pro singers experience problems singing to karaoke because its' perceived rigidity to them makes it somewhat difficult for them to make the song their own. It becomes challenging to them and actually forces creativity in a different way.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
dvdgdry wrote:
Nearly all musicians know what key the original recording was in. If you know whether you sing it dropped or raised a half or full step they'll get it. It is usually easier to sing with a live band because they follow you, especially, if you give gestures to them like raising volume, lowering volume, cut for dynamics, and pointing to each for their solo, etc. That, to me, is fronting for the band and it is a visual to the audience, also.

On the other hand, most pro singers experience problems singing to karaoke because its' perceived rigidity to them makes it somewhat difficult for them to make the song their own. It becomes challenging to them and actually forces creativity in a different way.

I can see Earl's point, although I've never sang with a band.
I think i would be uncomfortable, because of the looseness.
Then again the rigidity you refer to in karaoke is not a problem
To me, as i always tweak every little nook and cranny to inprove
My performance, but i guess thats the nature of the beast in
The history of music. I certainly like your solid explanation!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
There was a user here a few years ago called Jaseoke, who was part of a live karaoke band. That was a hell of an experience. I miss those guys.

There have been times I have sang in a band jam, and that was also a neat experience, but I went in following them, not them following me.

As for musicians doing karaoke, the one that boggles my mind is a friend who has fronted multiple bands, one of them touring nationally at one point, and he is TERRIFIED of karaoke. Like, sweating and shaking terrified. He needs his guitar to hide behind, and only did it once because he lost a bet with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:58 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
I play in a band and done and sing karaoke... IMHO If singing with a live band for the first few times is more difficult. You know for the most part what's next on a Karaoke track. In a band it can take alot of twists depending on how the band does the song.. That loose environment can be tough if you've rarely done it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I have been singing with a band for about a year now and find it very rewarding, but very different than karaoke. I started singing with them almost by accident. I showed up at one of their jam sessions to meet up with an old friend of mine. After sitting around and listening for a while, my friend mentioned that I sing a bit and I offered to sing backup (harmonies). They are a classic rock band and I sing mostly country when I solo, but love to sing harmony to anything. They invited me back to the regular jam night on Friday's and as the year has progressed, they are playing more and more country songs for me to sing lead on.

Then in August of last year, they invited me to come out to one of the gigs and sit in with them for a few songs. Since then, I have become a regular featured guest singer in their shows.

For me, the best part about it is the friends I have made and other local musicians I have had a chance to meet. Now there are several local bands and musicians that I jam with and sometimes perform with.

I like the looseness of it and the fact that we have some freedom to improvise. I sometimes change the melody or timing in parts. I just signal the drummer when I want a tempo change or want him to drop out for a few measures on certain parts. Sometimes on songs like "wagon wheel" we drop out the instruments for a chorus and sing acapella. To do this though, you have to be comfortable with the other guys in the band a pay attention to each other.

The best thing about karaoke is still the words being displayed on the screen, but I think after singing out with the band I am a better performer and make more connection with my audience instead of just standing there staring at the screen. I have at times screwed up the words and forgotten lyrics with the live band, but the guys just laugh it off and we just keep going.

I hardly ever go out to karaoke any more, but will still occasionally go. I probably sing 2 or 3 gigs per month and go karaoke maybe once per month. One of the best things about karaoke is the huge song selection too.

The downside of performing with the band is I have become even more of a gear slut. Buying several new microphones, cables, stand, effects pedal and wedge monitor in the past year. I want a new mixer (Allen & Heath Zed10fx or similar) but can't really justify it with the wife. I still sing karaoke at the house to practice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
For past 3 yrs have been going to live band karaoke shows in Illinois. Seen a few outfits and while song list is much shorter than traditional KJ's it's quite fun. Lyrics are displayed and what a rush! It's feels like your part of the band without making a commitment of practicing, remembering lyrics. Much Fun!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I use PromptSmart Pro Teleprompter for iPad.

I can take the aux out from mixer and go directly into iPad for Voice controlled scrolling.
This app is perfect for open mic and super easy to use. Just copy and paste lyrics and hit the start button.

get it here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/promptsmart-pro-teleprompter/id894811756?mt=8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
I used to sing "MY COUSIN VINNIE" at karaoke all of the time. Then I got tired of it. Joe Pesci was a pretty good singer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
In Portland Oregon we have KARAOKE FROM HELL, a five piece live Karaoke band. They've been doing it here for almost 25 years...and may even be the ORIGINAL LIVE KARAOKE BAND. You sing off song sheets on a music stand and the band leader will help you with starts and stops and cues or if you get lost halfway through. I've gone singing with them many times. I usually sing Clapton's SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE, Van Morrison WILD NIGHT, Kinks YOU REALLY GOT ME. They have a song catalog of 500+ songs and growing. They play at Dante's in downtown Portland on Monday nights and at other various venues when they get them. One time they were at the BITE OF OREGON food and wine festival and I led off their show in front of 500 visitors. At Dantes, the crowd size is typically 125. You can look them up on the internet.

I also have sung with a real blues band (The Northside Blues Band. I sang Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Little Walter, Kim Wilson and a couple of my own originals...sang 3 shows with them). Also, I was lead singer in a garage classic rock band that never made it out of the garage. Both fell apart due to band drama...bandleaders decided they didn't want a strong front man lead singer overshadowing their greatness...HA!! (Think David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen???)

The most difficult thing is learning the songs by rote, no TV screen with words, no song sheet to rely on. Plus watching the band leader for cues. But is MUCH MUCH FUN layin' it down and watching the audience connect!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
I've had the privilege to sing with a live band once. They asked me what I wanted to sing, they knew my first song, and they looked up the second song on their phone/youtube.

The band was good enough, that they even managed to keep playing and make me sound good when I started to sing the melody and lyrics to a COMPLETELY different song by accident. Just kept playing.. it was amazing

-James

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
A good band can do that...as you freestyle it home!