KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - PEP on Indiegogo? C'mon really? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:21 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
There are reasons why most of those companies have been sued out of business. No one has filed a law suit against me after hearing me sing one of my homemade karaoke songs. I'll just keep rolling the dice and take my chances. I make songs that most manufacturers will probably never make. My latest is a song called: "IF I GO, I'M GOIN". NO KARAOKE PRODUCER HAS MADE IT so I don't think I'm stealing any money from anyone. I'll probably only sing it a handful of times before I move onto something else anyway. ALL HITS, BACKSTAGE ANY MANY OTHERS were selling disc at one point for two dollars each and KJs use those discs every day. No KJ is being sued for using them and , so far, no KJ has been sued for letting me sing to my home made discs at their shows. They actually enjoy hearing people sing songs that they don't hear repeatedly every week.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

jdmeister wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:
One more thing. There are plenty of KJs that are still using tracks from discs that were never licensed by the companies that created them. The list is so long that I will not name every one of those karaoke companies. We all know who they are. My homemade stuff is just as legal as anything made by those companies and I don't try to sell my stuff anywhere so there is no money being made by me that some publisher is being cheated out of.

They, (Commercial Karaoke Publishers) say different.

Something about paying for public performance, and they really want your money.

Good luck to them. I rarely get out to karaoke that often anymore. It's highly unlikely that someone will file a law suit against me. I can't imagine what they would claim the damages would be? What could they possibly ask for because someone sang a song once in a bar? The fine is probably more for a parking ticket. I'd probably become famous for 15 minutes if I got sued for singing a favorite song of mine at a karaoke bar. My guess would be that the original artist would pay the fine for me, for being such a fan. ;c)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:02 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

According to Sound Choice's own attorney, nine out of ten KJ are pirates and they can't put a stop to that major problem but they're going to come after me for making a home made karaoke track and singing it a few times in public? LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:16 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
KJKILLER wrote:
According to Sound Choice's own attorney, nine out of ten KJ are pirates and they can't put a stop to that major problem but they're going to come after me for making a home made karaoke track and singing it a few times in public? LOL

Make as many as you like... Sound Choice/ PEP won't sue you UNLESS you are using their track (Which obviously you aren't).

c. staley wrote:
I think anyone that sends them a dime, after all the years of lies and suing their customers, is a complete idiot...

And I'd like to invite those same lovely people to send me money too.... They will in return, get a heartfelt "thank you" from me and that's it.... No ongoing contract.

The difference here is of course that at least I'm not lying to anyone or making excuses for almost a decade and they know UP FRONT exactly what they get in return.

Using PEP Indiegogo Math: $1500/track to produce = 500 purchases @ $3.00/song. Of course, being PEP/SC they most likely will charge a premium (Let's say $5.00) instead of the industry average.

While there are many Pro SC people out there, I don't think they will sell 500+ of ANY track they make!

Remember, from past (ADVANCED) experiences, they only want to deal with "professionals"... and not regular people that EVERY OTHER COMPANY sells to. They want contracts, and most likely will want those professionals to pay for something else, or pay for rights for those tracks in the future, like they do with the GEM set.

For what it's worth... maybe they should just place a "Tip the manufacturer" button on their homepage and social media pages! :rotflmao:

Edited: Added content, corrected pre-coffee spelling, grammer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
As a singer, I genuinely enjoy a lot of Sound Choice tracks.

As a person who doesn't think established for-profit companies should crowdfund (you should have seen my rants on the Veronica Mars movie kickstarter back in the day), I now hope they never make another one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:08 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
As a singer, I genuinely enjoy a lot of Sound Choice tracks.

As a person who doesn't think established for-profit companies should crowdfund (you should have seen my rants on the Veronica Mars movie kickstarter back in the day), I now hope they never make another one.

I actually enjoy SC products too... And I have a large selection of CDs from them.

BUT: As a KJ who bought a ton of product from them, every CD was bought and paid for up front, and if we NEVER used a track or CD, well... that was on me wasn't it? It's not their fault that I didn't use the track or CD, the risk of purchase was entirely on my business.

So using that logic: Why doesn't an established business like PEP wish to take a risk on what is their primary product? If they "sold" THREE of their in stock GEM series, they would be able to afford it outright, no?

To me, it signals that PEP has ZERO faith in their own product! You are telling me that PEP doesn't have $7500 in cash reserves for their business laying around? Or even a company credit card? My company has BOTH available, and I'm just a small business DJ/KJ...

Why should anyone DONATE money to an established business for an unknown product (What tracks are they planning to make? When would those tracks be released?), and then have to actually PAY for it again if/when it comes out?

Sorry, it's time for PEP/SC to be bought up by someone else to run it, or fade away. What they are doing is just silly at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
jdmeister wrote:
c. staley wrote:
I think anyone that sends them a dime, after all the years of lies and suing their customers, is a complete idiot...

And I'd like to invite those same lovely people to send me money too.... They will in return, get a heartfelt "thank you" from me and that's it.... No ongoing contract.

The difference here is of course that at least I'm not lying to anyone or making excuses for almost a decade and they know UP FRONT exactly what they get in return.

:mrgreen: I love it.. I have some coins left over from my Japan trip, and I was going to forward them to my grandson.
Perhaps this option works also. :mrgreen:

I have always liked you JDmeister....

I will sit by the mailbox with breathless anticipation like a lonely date waiting for a phone call..... (said no one ever)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
KJKILLER wrote:
You're supposed to believe that someone legally attained 300,000 karaoke tracks but they can't afford to have a CD+G player or software that can play a CD+G disc from their laptops DVD drive. It's laughable.

I have, about 9,700 unique songs. I have discs for about 2/3 of them. The rest are downloads that I have bought. I don't have software to play CDg disks. I have two disk players, but I took them out of the system. I don't have an optical drive on my computer, either. I took it out, and replaced it with a second hard drive, which holds my DJ music.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:48 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
KJKILLER wrote:
You're supposed to believe that someone legally attained 300,000 karaoke tracks but they can't afford to have a CD+G player or software that can play a CD+G disc from their laptops DVD drive. It's laughable.
Well exactly. It's like hopping in a cab that looks like a Mercedes limo on the outside, only to find out it doesn't have A/C, cupholders, or a working radio. Something just ain't right about that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
As someone who has the new songs I can state two things with absolute certainty

1. The quality is MUCH better than the older tracks that soundchoice did. I just did a subjective comparison of karoke .net version of Diamonds and Rust with the PEP version. Altho the partytyme version is top notch, I think the PEP version edges it out, and I think that anyone with an unbiased opinion of PEP would actually agree with me if they had the opportunity to listen

2. Unless PEP comes up with some better titles, #1 won't make any difference at all. I'm hoping for some weird al titles or something similar within a couple of months. It will be interesting to see if the Garth Brooks song they did becomes popular to sing tho. According to PEP the song is so new that the digital album isn't out yet * altho as of now January 13, it probably is *

-James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
But is "edging it out" worth the cost, contract, etc? I thought that one (and the Styx song) would be done quite a bit. To date the Priest so g has been done once and Styx 4 times (I including the 1 time I did it). I think those versions are pretty good imo.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:55 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Lonman wrote:
But is "edging it out" worth the cost, contract, etc? I thought that one (and the Styx song) would be done quite a bit. To date the Priest so g has been done once and Styx 4 times (I including the 1 time I did it). I think those versions are pretty good imo.

Hence my second comment. Unless they come up with more impressive title selections, it won't make any difference

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Garth tune is in production from KV, i can buy it shortly for $3 with no contract.