KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - the final karaoke singer / final karaoke song for the night Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
KJKILLER wrote:
I know we've been at this bar singing all night but if we leave now and go to Danny's show down the street; were guaranteed to get in at least one more song because he doesn't care about the people that have been there all night because they have already sung at least one song already. He thinks we'll we'l swap loyalties to his bar from our favorite bar because he let us sing one song. LOL.

So I am supposed to punish someone who works until 10 or 11at say a restaurant that closes at 10 or 11 because they want to sing a song before going home. I have no way of knowing who is a bar hopper or just got out of work and it's not my job to know. I am only trying to be fair and treat everyone as being welcome to the venue. And yes I have had more than a few chose to come to my bar earlier because my sound is that much better than my competition. Go with what works, if it ain't broke why fix it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
So I am supposed to punish someone who works until 10 or 11at say a restaurant that closes at 10 or 11 because they want to sing a song before going home. I have no way of knowing who is a bar hopper or just got out of work and it's not my job to know. I am only trying to be fair and treat everyone as being welcome to the venue. And yes I have had more than a few chose to come to my bar earlier because my sound is that much better than my competition. Go with what works, if it ain't broke why fix it.

If I go to a buffet that is closing in a half hour do I get to go to the front of the line because I just got there? I mean 80% of the people in front of me have already been through at least once. I should at least be able to cut in from of them.

Name just ONE activity besides Karaoke where being late entitles you go to the head of the line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
well...going to a buffet is one.
get there when they are closing in a half hour and you get to eat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

dsm2000 wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

If I go to a buffet that is closing in a half hour do I get to go to the front of the line because I just got there? I mean 80% of the people in front of me have already been through at least once. I should at least be able to cut in from of them.

Name just ONE activity besides Karaoke where being late entitles you go to the head of the line.

I don't place them next. They go at the bottom of the current rotation like everyone else. I just find a way to fit them in that's all. If I am on the last singer and I am already overtime and have used my one more singer allowance that the owner automatically gives me, unless the owner walks up and says fit him in, I tell the latecomers sorry but I have no more time to fit you in tonight, come back next week a litte earlier in the night.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:
I know we've been at this bar singing all night but if we leave now and go to Danny's show down the street; were guaranteed to get in at least one more song because he doesn't care about the people that have been there all night because they have already sung at least one song already. He thinks we'll we'l swap loyalties to his bar from our favorite bar because he let us sing one song. LOL.

No. It's much better to punish the people who get to your show early and support it for hours. If 5 people show up late and get to sing a song each; that means that 5 people who have been at your show all night spending money will not get to sing another song. It''s no wonder that you only have one show per week. You seem to have a much higher opinion of your show than the people who live in your neck of the woods. Many times people keep their complaints about a show to themselves but go to other shows instead of wasting their time complaining to a KJ who won't listen anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Back to food analogies, because they often seem to apply to karaoke problems.

Butchers and deli owners figured this out a couple hundred years ago. Customer walks in, takes a number. Next customer takes the next number. The server calls people up in numerical order. If everyone isn't happy with this, at least they are as happy as they can be, given the realities of it all.

Now IMAGINE: You go into the deli one night and pull #47. The owner calls up #41, so you know there's six people ahead of you.

While you wait, three new people come in and pull #48, #49 and #50. Remember, you are #47.

How would you feel if, after the owner waited on #46 he looked at you, looked away, and called #48? So you wait more, and then the owner calls #49. At this point you speak up and say to the owner, hang on, I'm #47, shouldn't you be calling me?

The owner looks at you and says "I know you! You came in and bought a bagel at 7am. No, you don't get served again today until I take care of all the customers who have not already been served today. Look, here's another one coming in the door now."

Ask yourself, would you go back to that deli again after being treated that way?

And yet there are a few karaoke hosts out there who strenuously defend this warped sense of customer service, as if it's in any way fair or logical.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
Same deal with a guy who owns a hot dog truck. You've already eaten 3 of my hot dogs so you can't buy any more hot dogs today. I have to save some hot dogs for other people because they deserve a chance to enjoy my hot dogs. I would rather have 3 people get one hot dog each than sell someone 3 more hot dogs who has already eaten 3 of my hot dogs. I don't know about you but I'd want the customers who eat 6 hot dogs more than I'd want the customers, who rarely show up, and order one hot dog. If my goal is to sell 200 hot dogs per day, I want to sell them as quickly as possible so I can go home and relax.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Anyone at the top of the rotation knows that I operate a first come first served where whatever rotation that you put in your first song in is the rotation that you sing ing on and the only time #47 would have to wait until after #50 at my show is if they went to the bathroom and didn't get back until #50 was already up. Or if #47 happened to be the bartender and they didn't get freed up to sing until #50 was already up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Slow nights = something upbeat and pulls everyone in

Crazy nights in a crowded bar/club = slower song to show people the door