KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Just A few Qustions for the Pros! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi all
Id say im a semi pro karaoke DJ - started out hating it but later decided its actually really fun! I only do 1 or 2 gigs per month on average & they are private events so im not running any residency etc.

Ok so ive been using PCDJ Karaoki which has always been a good performer in terms of reliability but ive found 2 main issues - 1. CDGs are displayed in their basic format, looks wise not v impressive 2. Background music player keeps playing rather than pausing & resuming after a singer performs.

So I tried Karafun & found it to be really good, graphics are improved & its simpler to use, however theres no rotation display & im not doing enough gigs to justify the pro version so i just pay £5 per use.

1. I purchased some DVDs from Zoom a few years back & was hoping to rip them for easy access via laptop but despite several hours of trying & asking around ive not found a way to do this without the music and lyrics out of sync. Is this possible? (At present using media player classic to play these discs, which isnt practical at all as the prog scrren needs dragging over to second monitor!)

2. I would rather use a program which Offers graphical improvements like karafun does. Is Kjams pro a suitible alternative? Also would like a way to trigger samples, perhaps using F keys or numbers. No, i dont want to use VDJ 8 because theres no rotation screen. I want to be able to have the rotation screen & able to input custom messages.

3. I used to download songs via Tricerasoft, which is best option as a replacement (Im uk based). Obv use karafun subscription but ripping my own HQ files as we speak so looking to rely on that less if possible.

4. Im looking to redo my Song books & thinking from an end user point of view, grouping the music into decades & Genres eg kids movies would be helpful, then have Artist / Song format layout. Any suggestions on text point size for the songs?

Thats all for now, appreciate all input as i really do want to up my game for both customers & myself.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:29 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Give OPENKJ a try for most of your requests. (openkj.org)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Siglos Karaoke Pro does everything you want and is a lower cost than other softwares. best graphics handling and virtual upgrading of graphics, plus the fill in player stops when someone is singing like you want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
D-Widdy wrote:
3. I used to download songs via Tricerasoft, which is best option as a replacement (Im uk based). Obv use karafun subscription but ripping my own HQ files as we speak so looking to rely on that less if possible.

You being in the UK you will have access to Selectatrack.com which has most of the UK manufacturers plus a few others.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Karafun, whether or not it's pro version or not does not have rotation. I second karaokeniagrafall's suggestion of OpenKJ and Lonman's suggestion of Selectatrack. You can buy on the fly and drag the songs downloaded at your songs into OpenKJ without having to import them into the database and leave that for doing at home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:33 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Thanks for your suggestions, im downloading demos now to evaluate.
Do you guys catalog every release in your song books or just print the essentials? I find its fairly rare for people to ask for the lesser known songs & 50% of poeple just come and ask anyway rather than using the books.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Everything as far as tracks, I do not list duplicates if I have multiple versions of a song from different manufacturers, I find people do pick the obscure if they see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
everything here as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
I add all my songs as well. Just because I may not know a song or think it's not popular does not mean one or more of my singers think the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I list all 14 songs..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
I have 1 master book that has everything, the other books are listed as latest additions, and then in catagories of the 50 most popular tracks, so 60's, 70's etc, and Rock, Indie, Crooners, I have a total of 18 different catagories.
I also have songbookdb so people can check out my whole library on their phone.
In the UK in most pubs, it is very much people sing the same song every week, fortunately my singers are not like that and I get a wide variety of stuff song each week, so it doesn't get boring for the audience or me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I list "everything" I have, with the exception of one offensive song, and one overly long one (Alice's Restaurant). Although I'd play them for the right person under the right circumstances, I don't want the general public seeing them in the book. I feel if you show a song in your book, you have an obligation to accept a request for it. If there's a song a host owns but really, really doesn't want people doing it, just leave it out of the book.

Now by "everything", I don't mean every track I own. I only list one version of each song (presumably the best version -- I've vetted hundreds of songs by comparing versions) and exclude the duplicates. That saves an enormous number of pages, but the real reason is customer confusion. First generation karaoke singers understand what different manufacturer versions are and mean, but modern (younger) singers seem to get hopelessly confused when they see multiple versions of the same song listed, and I just got sick of explaining it every dang night! And most of the people I'd give the explanation too would stare at me blankly, and then ask me to explain the explanation :lol: But my duplicates remain available should anyone ask for a specific version.

If you're starting from scratch though and buying all your music as downloads, you won't end up with duplicates to leave out of your book anyway. Back when the only way was to buy whole discs, duplicates were unavoidable.