KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karafun Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Karafun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Here's a little review on Karafun and their online streaming. I used it this past Saturday night at my house to fill in if anyone wanted something I didn't have.
The interface is OK. Keep in mind that I did not test or play with this prior to the party. I loaded it after bringing it up and a few singers saying they would take a shot at it. The good thing is you can sign up for a two day pass for, like, six bucks (us).

Of course it doesn't have a way to track singers, but I don't need that for a filler and especially for home parties. The search is fairly decent and it searches title and artist at the same time. With mine, you select artist or title for the search. I may add a both. Anyway, the first song we searched for was missing. I think it was "Hurt" by Christina Aguilera. No one has everything so no problem there. I think we missed on one or two more and hit three.
On this first hit, I played the song but no sound to the sound system. The graphics were there but the sound came from the laptop speaker. I looked in the options and only the sound card was listed. I looked at the sound setting of XP and noticed the only midi player was with the internal sound card and nothing for the BOSE USB device. So the first thing you may need to shore up is that you have a midi player for your working sound device. This wasn't a major problem for me as the BOSE T1 has a TSR input on the same channel as the USB channel so I simply added a 1/8 to 1/4 cable and off we went. Of course that wouldn't fly if this was a paying gig, but I don't think this is something that is legal for a paying gig.
I didn't know any of the songs performed and in ever case the singer or someone listening would state the the music, lyrics or both were slow. I also noticed the utilization on the laptop was to a point where it was very sluggish to do anything, even if it wasn't playing a song. Now, this is an older Think Pad but it's only use is as a music player and has always performed perfectly in all situations. I even had a song playing from my program (and Winamp) pause while the program was loaded. We tried three songs with it and decided to close it down.

It is possible this could be a very good deal, but it's not for me or older XP type machines.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Karafun
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
I have been informed that you cannot use Karafun's music selection at shows, only his own music.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 34 times
But why do you need a midi player, the Karafun files are not in midi :roll: They should be supported by Karafun and your default audio card should play them with out any problems...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:07 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I am not sure they are midi but figured they were, by the way you can turn different "voices" on and off. The music sounded midiish as well. I haven't delved into why it wouldn't use the BOSE T1 USB interface. The utilization issue was enough for me to not go any further with it.. I guess I could look into it of someone might be able to benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Mr. Boo, where did you find a search feature, or is that ONLY for Karafun's own library? I use Karafun for my shows because they do allow you to use the program commercially for your own music. You just can't use theirs. I have never found a search feature. I usually end up using Explorer to search my music.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

The search I was referring to was the search of their library if you click that on the left, or your own library, also clicked on the left. I was not talking about a search for songs all over. In my case, I didn't load my library and just searched their online streaming content.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
The search I was referring to was the search of their library if you click that on the left, or your own library, also clicked on the left. I was not talking about a search for songs all over. In my case, I didn't load my library and just searched their online streaming content.

I was talking about my library, not just random songs. I haven't found a search feature within karafun. I know they have the library section of the program, but you have to scroll down the list. There is no place to type what you are looking for. I don't use their music, since you can't for shows, and I listened to some of the samples and it was all junk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Ah, crap.. I just opened it up and browsed down to the folders and the search box does go away. What a PITA. You need to get you a better player. No way that is efficient. Can you add all your songs to a playlist and search that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Ah, crap.. I just opened it up and browsed down to the folders and the search box does go away. What a PITA. You need to get you a better player. No way that is efficient. Can you add all your songs to a playlist and search that?

I have never tried that. I am planning on getting a different program, once I decide which one I want. For now it does the job. I run a hybrid show, as I am part disc based and part computer based. But you CAN search your songs through the folders, using Explorer, and since they are associated with Karafun, it's pretty much like having a search function. I run two separate folders, right now. I have my main karaoke folder and then I have a select group of songs that I sing. I did that just to make it easy to catalog my own songs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Gocha.. I just didn't even look at the folder stuff when I used it.. No need for what I was doing. You'll love it when you get something that can track your rotation.. Even disc based it helps a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Smooth, You should just use the Karma trial version. You can load your entire library and your only restriction is that you can only have 3 songs in the cue at one time. The way you are using Karafun you can only have 1 song in cue at a time so this is much better because it has a great search engine with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Oh, Ok. I will try that. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:24 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Do NOT buy this...I specifically purchased a 1 month subscription...(they have a 1 day subscription as well). They charged me a recurring $10 a month for 8 additional months before I realized they were doing it. The only way to contact them is by email. Even though they can view that I had only been on the site for 2 days in the same month they would not give me a refund of any amount. Avoid the headaches and go with a higher quality service.