KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Copy right Etc Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Copy right Etc
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:22 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
My question is this - why is it illegal to use original instrumental or audacity et al type instrumental tracks? Specially if the ones you make are not available.

I make for my own use, here in Thailand I can sing the tracks karaoke, I actually get most of my backing tracks from karaoke version or SBI, surely by singing there material you are promoting, attributing if you like to that artist.

Apparently I still have not got broadcasting rights (ie sing in my local karaoke) even if I have purchased the backing track myself. Sunfly and SBI are ok because they have there own venue here and I know the bosses.

Its not the same as sitting in an basement and downloading and burning the latest Lady GA GA album then selling it down the local market ?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Copy right Etc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Quote:
Its not the same as sitting in an basement and downloading and burning the latest Lady GA GA album then selling it down the local market ?

It is exactly the same as that. It's stealing. It's someone else doing all the work and the thief profiting from it.

Intellectual property is treated much like physical personal property here in the US. The artist (record label, publishing company, etc.) makes the song and owns the song. The consumer can not obtain that song without paying for it, or it's treated the same as going to an electronics warehouse and stealing a TV to take home. Just because it's intangible property doesn't make it any different than physical property.

The laws may be different in Thailand, but here in the states that's the basic idea.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
stevo wrote:
My question is this - why is it illegal to use original instrumental or audacity et al type instrumental tracks?
Apparently I still have not got broadcasting rights (ie sing in my local karaoke) even if I have purchased the backing track myself. Sunfly and SBI are ok because they have there own venue here and I know the bosses.

Illegal copying of software is a crime in the U.S. & many other countries, Thailand included. http://www.ehow.com/list_6467898_thaila ... -laws.html

Copyright law provides for severe civil & criminal penalties for reproduction & distribution of unauthorized copyrighted material. Violation may result in fines, and/or imprisonment. I don’t think knowing the bosses at your local Sunfly & SBI corporate offices will play any clout in front of a judge. Notoriety of Thai prison system is well-known; worse than my country of origin, the Philippines. Is it worth it? Think it over! Get permission & pay for the service! Simple as that.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:11 am 

Thank you both for your reply. i was deliberately a bit coy just to Get the vibe as it were of this forum. I just get fustrated when the material I want to sing is never available.

I am fairly certain most karaoke backing tracks are electronic interpolations of the real thing. You can sometimes hear a faint voice, and being the geek I am I have ananlysed the waveforms and running times. Thats why on some tracks one examplle is crash and burn by savage garden the singing is slightly overdubbed from verse to chorus which is common, why not just add another bar to the beat the running times are identical, they either have some kind iof advanced re sampling software, or they get access to the original multitrack.

Simple Acoustic tracks they re record but anything complicated it would make sense to get a copy from the Studio rather than hiring a band to do it.

What counts as an original recording? If someone samples something the resulting out put is not the original its a copy but the sounds are not "real" there made up in the computer.

I did know that its illegal here but the laws are not enforced, I could go down the road here and buy a copy of Windows seven for $10! that includes Office 2010.

The karaokes are interesting. I have a Bee Gees one Ive had for a while original footage karaoke and original music. Makes a change from looking at a black or blue screen. But other countries have videos as well Thai music (which I sing as Well) is all on Karaoke and original MV footage its a totally different experience when you sing and you see the Artist

I think in the west we are getting a raw deal. They will always get pirate copies from Russia its a totally UN-enforceable law. The artists only get a miserly 15% anyway.

Just my thoughts :D Is whats legal necessarily always right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I've never understood myself why the studios don't put out original track karaoke. I think it honestly boils down to them thinking it is somehow beneath them, and them being out of touch with the positive exposure it gives their artists, not to mention it is a billion dollar industry.

There are some artists that put out karaoke with their original tracks. I have a 6 disk Motown collection that is all original tracks that sounds awesome. Taylor Swift is well known for including karaoke versions of her songs with all of her studio albums.

Who knows....maybe one day the studios will figure it out. All they need is a guy to do the lyric swipes and they don't need the annoying CDG manufacturers. 100% royalties sure looks better than 15%.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Topher I think it's just a matter of dollars and cents. I don't think it would be profitable for them to put out a 1 for 1 regular/karaoke disc (at least in the old days - did I just say that) and spend money promoting them. Remember karaoke is a niche market. Most companies, ie Ford, Marvel, etc do not make/market T-shirts, etc but sell a licence to a manufacturer to make them.

They would make more money, less work to licence the work to a karaoke manufacturer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:49 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I think more and more individuals are buying onesy twosy karaoke tracks. My sister buys one or two a week for my niece. I directed one of my regulars to the download sites just last week so he can get a track for his daughter to sing in a talent show. I think Taylor Swift is smart. Why not have the girls pay a little more to also sing along with her? It's smart. She'll probably tell you it's how she started. My niece has been singing karaoke since before she could read and she is unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I'm afraid to sing Taylor Swift, because they might start passing me around like a party favor at the Kennedy Compound. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
jdmeister wrote:
I'm afraid to sing Taylor Swift, because they might start passing me around like a party favor at the Kennedy Compound. :mrgreen:

And the problem with that is..................... jd, I wouldn't mind it at all if I was offered to Taylor Swift disguised as a party favor :lol: :lol:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:47 pm 

Thank you both for your reply. i was deliberately a bit coy just to Get the vibe as it were of this forum. I just get fustrated when the material I want to sing is never available.

I am fairly certain most karaoke backing tracks are electronic interpolations of the real thing. You can sometimes hear a faint voice, and being the geek I am I have ananlysed the waveforms and running times. Thats why on some tracks one examplle is crash and burn by savage garden the singing is slightly overdubbed from verse to chorus which is common, why not just add another bar to the beat the running times are identical, they either have some kind iof advanced re sampling software, or they get access to the original multitrack.

Simple Acoustic tracks they re record but anything complicated it would make sense to get a copy from the Studio rather than hiring a band to do it.

What counts as an original recording? If someone samples something the resulting out put is not the original its a copy but the sounds are not "real" there made up in the computer.

I did know that its illegal here but the laws are not enforced. <snip> :withstupid: :withstupid: :argue:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
You know, I'm not completely certain that some companies don't use original recordings, at least sometimes. I recall hearing a track - Barbara Ann by The Beach Boys - and being certain I could still faintly hear their ad lib ( "Carl, pass me the famous ashtray" or something like that) during an instrumental break.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 am 

Been Liked: 1 time
Maybe they are just waiting for there to be enough money to make it worth their time to enforce their rights, after all why pick on someone who can't pay you anyway? As a small fry, I intend to protect myself from future action just in case I ever get rich enough to attract their attention.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
Moved to the appropriate forum.