KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Hmmm how to increase our numbers? Administrative Announcements Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:06 pm 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
In total 637 users have visited this board today ::
102 Registered
16 Hidden and
519 Guests

WHAT CAN WE DO TO GET MORE OF THESE FOLKS REGISTERED AND RETURNING AS ACTIVE MEMBERS!?

I am interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Also, I would like to acquire another moderator or two - Any suggestions or volunteers? It will ultimately be up to management but...
Lonnie's got his hands full and I haven't heard from Jian in months?
(Anyone know what is up there? Anyone heard from him?)

I would love to hear your ideas, suggestions and comments...

I don't often post unless absolutely necessary or I just am bored! LOL But I do lurk...

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
If that many people wanna read the forums each day then make them log in. It only takes a second of their time ! Surely not that many are actual "guests"

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:28 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
I heard from Jian finally the other day. He's ok just doesnt get much chance to be in front of a puter these days...he didnt elaborate further

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I reckon Charmin would make a brilliant Mod and so would Cat
both of them well liked by all

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
There was a time when it was regular to have 50 members logged in and 100-200 lurkers. When I first joined this group I might have been the only one that used a computer. Back then it was illegal!!! Yet I wasnt viciously attacked by half the forum.
If it had been like it is now where there are only a few brands and ways to to do it and if you dont you are not a pro, I would have said excuse me I have shows to run BYE...

Monitor how the next newbie is welcomed . They will be hit with the same radical crap that takes over every thread on here. I'm retired again but if I took this crap for gospel during the time I have been a member my business would have suffered immensely. Ninety five percent dont believe this radical crap and it repels them back to reality.Too many dead horses sums it up..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Word of mouth would help. There are alot of KJ's on this site. They might mention the site on their show nights. I found out about this site by getting a book about karaoke at the bookstore. It was listed in the book as a source for karaoke information.

You guys with KJ websites, put in a plug for this website on your homepage.

I haven't been with this site for very long. Is there a venue locator on this site. I live in North Carolina, but say I went to Huntsville, AL and wanted to karaoke, I'd like to be able to look online without having to call every bar in town. Richmond, VA has a website that tells you where karaoke is happening on any night of the week. They also send out E-mails to keep you informed of changes made to the list. It can also be sorted by town, smoking preference, kid friendly, gay & lesbian friendly, etc.

Just my two cents on the subject...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:40 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Word of mouth carries a lot of weight..

Pro AND con..

I'm just sayin' :angel:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

actually JD you would make damned fine admin :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Quote:
actually JD you would make damned fine admin

I second that but we would have to get him a cigarette lighter adapter and a 10" lappie to moderate whilst in his dune buggy...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Was that a serious question ? I am assuming so ,so I will put my 2 cents in...I believe you could attract more people by fixing & maintaining the tech areas of the website ie : not being able to log in until switching browsers, or not recieving email notification when a post is replied to that you have responded to or not being able to upload a pic in SS, or answering a concerned members request for such in a way that doesnt belittle them. I dunno just "a few" of the things that stopped myself from coming around so much. Who wants to be at a website that has noone that takes responsibilitiy for the general maintenance or upkeep or problems that arise . I know I dont like to be here much b/c of that. I asked about my pic problem a while back even posted the pic I needed uploaded b/c I couldnt get it to upload & STILL havent had a response. I know I know Phil you have a life too & this isnt even a paying job I ve heard it all before no big deal..but you asked & I thought Id tell ya. As if it "really" mattered. Im only one of that huge # of people that lurk, why do I lurk ? B/c most of the time I dont like switching browsers just to sign in to see the lounge topics or to respond to one forum. Too much effort on my part. Didnt mean to ruffle feathers just my honest opinion that is what you wanted right?

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I could help out with some Mod duties... My only problem is I can't access the site Sun-Tues from 5am until 7pm central time (and Wed 5am till 1PM)... other than that, I've tried to be a presence on here.

I had a conversation with Phill about this some time ago, and openly admitted I used to be one of the rascally rascals that had a bit of a foul mouth. I also bear grudges pretty darned well, so as long as I don't throw my weight around, I could be a mod. But I will abide by the decision of the populace.

There's no replacing Lonnie nor Jian, though! Very FAIR individuals, and hard to rile!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Jian is missing in action...I miss him and yeah Matt you are correct both are incredibly fair, impartial individuals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What do you have to do as a moderator? I might be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
MorganLeFey @ Wed 10 Jun, 2009 5:33 pm wrote:
I reckon Charmin would make a brilliant Mod and so would Cat
both of them well liked by all

Charm is too non-existent these days on this site- she'd never make a good mod.
(but thanks for the vote of confidence Vick)

Hey, speaking of, you have my vote. You're here quite often, you know most everyone, and I think you'd do a good job.

I also think JD, Lordie, and Matt would all make good mods. (though yeah, Matt might have to be more of a "bouncer/mod") haha... just kidding.

As to how to get more people here: As long as Phill keeps posting things like "Do Not Post Nekkid Pics in the Forums"... :roll: ... that's a show stopper yanno.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:52 am 

hi...
many people wanna read the forums each day then make them log in. It only takes a second of their time ! Surely not that many are actual "guests"......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Most forums I attend have a limited sections you can read as a visitor and if you want to see the entire site, you have to be logged in to view. I am not sure if this site does it but that would encourage people to log in to view any of the important categories.

Maybe just show the announcements section when not logged in and show the rest when logged in? Just a thought.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Huh ! I WISH it only took a second of my time to log in & stay logged in! LOL !

What everyone is failing to understand is, its crazy ! When I joined this site I was using aol as my browser (and still do) & doing fine until one day I stopped getting email notifications when someone responded to a thread I did. Then again when "someone"( I dont know who to name any names) messes with KS/SS website, I start having trouble logging in & when I actually did get logged in when I started to respond to a thread it logged me off automatically. Its STILL doing this I just got tired of logging in and just started visiting as a guest rather than go thru the trouble of changing browsers to log in and respond to threads. It just became & still is a hassle to get logged on & stay logged in. MAYBE thats whats happening to others? I dunno. But ya gotta admit that would have a bearing on numbers..I mean just to respond to this threa I had to change browsers..Rediculous !

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
eben @ Tue 16 Jun, 2009 10:20 am wrote:
Maybe just show the announcements section when not logged in and show the rest when logged in? Just a thought.

I agree. Let people just see a sample of what threads are here, but make them log in to view them. (like in the Lounge) I'm sure it's mostly the members anyhow, just prefering to read anonymously... that's most of our "guests".

And then you get those people who insist on staying "hidden" while logged in. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I didn't know there was a moderating problem, but I guess I only read one section of the forum.

You should make a gear review section. Techies like me love to talk shop like that, and there are plenty of people out there on "the Google" searching for reviews in the latest karaoke whatevers, I'm sure. So that will cause some of them to find reviews on here, and maybe they will join the forum.

Another thing that I think would be pretty neat is if the forum had a database of karaoke discs & tracks, and we could rate them like 1 - 5 or whatever. Say the new Chartbuster discs come out next month and there's probably a ton of people in here that subscribe to them, we can go rate them. Some of these songs will be present on other labels, and then there will be ratings for those as well. This would be good for people like me who are always expanding their library and trying to find good versions of specific songs. Also, it would get a bunch of stuff in Google and other search engines, so when some person goes to search for "karaoke picture kid rock" they might land at this rating tool.

I know I would like to have a really good copy of Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love by Van Halen, but his guitar effects are like rocket science -- it's hard to reproduce! If I knew a certain disc had a really good copy of that song on it, I would buy it for sure.

You could even make this thing link to a company that sells the discs and get some kind of kick-back for the sales.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:51 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The one thing that I would mention that makes me not want to come back very often anymore. The sarcastic, belligerent and even often bombastic undertone to replies to new or the uninitiated user get subjected to when making innocuous posts looking for answers to their questions. This is one of the things that stands out to this user as being problematic and totally unnecessary. That's my 2 cents worth as a casual observer and occasional lurker.
:withstupid: