KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke Gets Its Bad Rep From Bars Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Thanks for the advice Brian....not to rain on Kahuna's parade, but I believe I toooooooo old to ever be looked at seriously by the recording industry....Brian are you familiar with Tootsies there in Nashville?...

As for recording and becoming a professional singer, well I wish I had went for it years ago. I will be satisfied with being a star in a small, but rewarding, none the less, way......

Good luck on your quest.....There are lots of great singers and preformers out there who never get the call.....Karaoke gives us an opportunity to strut our stuff and feel the rush in a small way....

I've also noticed that the big prize money in these contests always seems to be west of the Mississippi...Or I don't know where to look to find them over here in God's country.... And no Kahuna when I use the term God's country...I'm not refering to you.... :roll:

[glow=blue]Tequila & A Song
KKid
[/glow]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
you guys could always cut your own singles and post them on mp3.com... that's how many people get discovered.

I personally think it's the way of the future. Pretty soon, you'll be able to sell your tracks or the whole CD for a set price. Forget the manufacturers! Do it yourself!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:54 am 
KKid,
OOOOOHHHHH yeah I know about tootsies... I have had a run in with the management there a few times.. I prefer not performing on Broadway in Nashville.. it's a place for those who Don't have solid ot reputible recording deals.. Another Piece of advice is, Don't go to Nashville to live unless You DO have a deal and about 6 months of resourses to live on.
and a set of musicians to play with already. But the Karaoke is real great there if you are visiting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:26 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1083 times
Brian

I've never had a bad time in Nashville..

kkid

You're never too old. Old Mr Sanders created 11 secret herbs and spices when he was 80.

Have at it.. (Don't forget the groupies.)

JUst sayin'

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:15 pm 
Brian Douglas wrote:
the Karaoke is real great there if you are visiting...

JD,

I was only referring to the live show envitonments.. my quote is that the karaoke is some of the better shows in the nation if you get away from downtown. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:20 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well I only mentioned Tootsies cause I sang there once. For me it was an assume experience. Knowing that so many had sang there before me. Guess ya gotta be a country music fan to appreciate it. Supposedly Terri Clark got her start there....as others.

There is a great story of lost oppertunity, but I'll share some other time. Kahuna has heard it and maybe he'd share it. I've got a picture of me singing there.....I'd share it if I could figure out how to reduce the size and keep the resolution.....

I lived in Nashville for a while myself.....I loved it there....

I wish I could get the chance just once to sing on the stage at the Grand Ol Opery. Its merely a dream of a singer past his prime....

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:23 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

dbk1009 wrote:
Yes, but remember what it was like when you started- before you had the loyal following. When starting new, like I'm doing now, you are almost at the mercy of whatever bar will take you...

I see it's been awhile since you posted this (and I'm way behind on reading!), but I beg to differ with you on this one (big time). I truly believe if you LOOK professional, ACT professional, SOUND professional, MARKET as a professional and refuse to settle for anything less than professional, you wouldn't see it that way at all.

I've visited shows all over the US for years. When I decided to start my own company, I jumped in with both feet. I didn't start out "small" at all (there are enough of those out there as it is!), but instead went with extreme high quality, good clean commercial looks and professionalism. My first gig was at a venue equal to an "Applebees", if not a little nicer. I'm still there. My other gigs in my first year included Holiday Inns, Government conventions and an outdoor event with over 200,000 people attending. I refuse to set my equipment into a dive or less than desirable venue.

It's a tough market, and there are needs for people to do shows in "less than desirable places" just as well as the top notch ones. But it's most definitely a choice to play in "those types" of places and not at all a matter of working your way up the ladder.

Just my .02 (but what do I know? I'm just a newbie....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I just have one question for you, when this gig owner asked you your credentials to do a show for such a "nice place", what did you have to say? "I think I can handle it because I have a good personality and equipment?" I have now been doing this for almost 4 months, and in that time I have done numerous parties, and added additional shows, as well as kept the one that started it all. The one common thread tho with all of the subsequent shows and parties was this-"WHere can we come to see you first?" I was lucky, I had a fiend that had a system that he allowed me to use for a night, so I could let the owner of the Diner see how I worked.

And to clarify, I said you have to work your way up, I didn't necessarily mean starting at the dingy bar on the other side of the tracks. I meant starting small as in a quieter type of venue. My first gig is a diner, with a bar on the side- not large, but very respectable.

If you were able to "jump in with both feet", more power to you, but understand- YOU ARE THE EXCEPTION NOT THE RULE!!

That's my rant for today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
My spelling is the same, sorry I couldn't resisit...

I was lucky, I had a fiend that had a system that he allowed me to use for a night, so I could let the owner of the Diner see how I worked. - LOL

I started the same way, but I did have a reputation with the singers as I had been around the karaoke company helping and singing for a while before I started working in my own business.

I started out in a bigger way than the few companies that could be found here. The show I was asked to replace when it left was an at the time a very large libraried show, THE largest at the time in Mobile, so it was expected that I would have a comparable library. I started out with 4,500 songs, unheard of then as karaoke was still young.

I too will not play any but nice places. I have a reputation for playing certain kinds of places, and cater to a certain kind of clientel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:57 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I guess I got lucky (they didn't ask!).

And since then, I have photos I show them (that seems to help a LOT). And I talk like I know what I'm talking about (because I do).

Don't get me wrong, I do have my share of ups and downs over it. Mostly the undercutters who seem to follow me from show to show. It's been very tough lately due to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:13 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

TheBigKahuna wrote:
One KJ accused us of being "Paid Professionals" because we didn't look at the screen and did so well. They made us sign a statement 6 separate times that we were never paid to sing!

Wow, and the KJ's point was.....????

Was it a contest for money? Even if it was, most competitions aren't for exorbitant amounts of money that would cause any legal problems that would require signatures. A couple hundred dollars is nothing.

It's good to have people that are good singers, that don't need the screen, that can stay on key, to entertain the other people there and not make them want to leave because they have heard just too damn many people fscking up Creed tonight.

Karaoke is not just for drunk 22 year olds that want to sing "I Will Survive" on a night out with the girlfriends. Like Brian said, it's play time. It's super way fun. There is no reason anything should have ever been made an issue about it. Even if you were a professional, if you're singing karaoke for free (actually, you're paying for it by paying a cover for the venue, or buying drinks or food and supporting the venue) who gives a damn if you ever got paid for singing?

Not to mention that there are plenty of "professional" singers that suck.

At the least, you make the KJ look good.

ok rant over.

Merrye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

There are those of us who prefer the "other side of the tracts"....people don't seem so snobby in such places.....there is less pretense....

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:11 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I really don't know what the KJ's point was other than he wasnted to be an @*****e. he had a crappy system a crappy selection he forced the singers to stand behind the screen his mic cord was less than 3 feet long (I fixed that) lol and he tries to undercut everyone.

Gues he didnt like our professionalism.

Go figure. Trying to be the best you can be apparently is wrong to some folks.

T.B.K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Amen!..... Toby Keith has a hit right now that pretty much describes the place......"I Love This Bar"......the difference is a Bar is a dimly lit, neon lighted, smoke filled haven for my kind of people. A lounge is a carpeted, expensive, generally filled with people who think their more than they really are. I've sang in both types of venues and been applauded in both, there is just something a little more real in a bar.

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thank God for Real People. Come to Liverpool any time you like. It would suit you down to the Ground!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Barry, In the mid 90's i was in a local bar here(no karaoke). These 2 british guys come in and sit on the next stools. It took a very few seconds before we started to talk. And then Began the joking, Me about Margaret Thatcher, And them about Ronald Reagan.

I can't remember the the total conversation but there was a lot of laughing.

My close friend DT recently told me that Brits are a very social people, Moreso than Yanks.

He just may be right, The Brits I've met were extremely easy to talk to and had no attitudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:31 am 
Kahuna
Even if you were.. a "paid Professional" the state of the current music industry would have you in so much debt that you still really wouldn't be profitable.. so what does that butthead know.. for all he knows you could have taken vocal lessions at julliard!!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

thank you for the invatation.....I believe there are bars in every corner of the world......if I hit the loto or ever become a big star I'll stop in....or maybe when I retire..... :D

Tight jeans...tube tops....pool tables....these are a few of my favorit things...[/img]

KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:20 pm 
Hey RON,
correct me if i'm wrong look again at the pic that Kkid posted.. (Please, No offense Kkid) Doesn't that look like one of your singers.. that had a few too many with One Of Your "unzipped cocanuts" in the RIGHT place??

Only Ron will get this.. we discussed this the other night.. :P LMAOROF

Thanks to Kkid for being SOOOOOO Timely :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:48 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey guys (and gals), I really wish I could share some pictures with ya'll. Maybe one day not too far off I can. But sometimes I can get carried away at my shows with the fun stuff. When the crowd's down or not really into it, it can get suprising what one might come up with to liven it up a bit. I can get pretty carried away without getting embarassed. Last night I did get to one of my regular singers and got him laughing in the middle of his song. He came real close to totally losing it. As for the coconuts, I have zippered coconuts (cut in half, cleaned out, with zippers sewn around the circumfrence) with my karaoke logo on that I use for give-aways (drawings, trivia questions, etc.),. It's amazing some of the things those coconuts turn into, or are used for :lol: :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next