KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Going back to work.... microphones Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrscott wrote:

Have you ever heard a piece of solid truth EVER be reported by any of the news agencies? How about the W.H.O. and the lies they told. Let's not forget the stories coming from the Chinese government. So,, yup, I am going to take ALL the reports that come out from ANY and ALL of the news agencies, government reports, etc. and weigh the information and make a decision based on what is best for me. I am not going to hide in the closet with my blankie and a nightlight, fearing the boogie man.

:!: I have confidence in this CDC/FEMA report because the WH/Trump was upset when it was released. The level of their discomfort is a good indicator as to the honesty of the report. The W.H.O. has been around 70 years and has had a little more experience than the current administration as far as managing health crisis's. The Chinese government did suppress information concerning the virus, and did not share information right away and samples for study. This is where you are getting it wrong this is not an imaginary monster, it is the real deal, a pandemic which will have killed 70,000 fellow Americans in six weeks time. More civilian deaths than Britain's air blitz of 1940. If we relax our guard thousands more will die before Summer has even started. The Hot Summer that was supposed to kill the virus according to some. Don't hide in your closet if you don't want to, but don't contribute to the thinning of the herd, unless you really want to.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:24 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Have you ever heard a piece of solid truth EVER be reported by any of the news agencies? How about the W.H.O. and the lies they told. Let's not forget the stories coming from the Chinese government. So,, yup, I am going to take ALL the reports that come out from ANY and ALL of the news agencies, government reports, etc. and weigh the information and make a decision based on what is best for me. I am not going to hide in the closet with my blankie and a nightlight, fearing the boogie man.

:!: I have confidence in this CDC/FEMA report because the WH/Trump was upset when it was released. The level of their discomfort is a good indicator as to the honesty of the report. The W.H.O. has been around 70 years and has had a little more experience than the current administration as far as managing health crisis's. The Chinese government did suppress information concerning the virus, and did not share information right away and samples for study. This is where you are getting it wrong this is not an imaginary monster, it is the real deal, a pandemic which will have killed 70,000 fellow Americans in six weeks time. More civilian deaths than Britain's air blitz of 1940. If we relax our guard thousands more will die before Summer has even started. The Hot Summer that was supposed to kill the virus according to some. Don't hide in your closet if you don't want to, but don't contribute to the thinning of the herd, unless you really want to.

So you are basing your reaction and level of acceptance on the fact you hate Trump??? Pathetic!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:? I never said I hated Trump, I have always said that he is unfit for office, and he is proving it more everyday.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:? I never said I hated Trump, I have always said that he is unfit for office, and he is proving it more everyday.

Well it is very obvious that you actually do hate Trump. But that is not what we are talking about either. This is supposed to be getting back to people's livelihoods and being able to support our families. We cannot nor should be ever rely on the government to , in your words, "take care of the citizens". It's simply a path that I don't want to go down. I would much rather work and support myself and know that I have earned what I have, and not just given freebies that cost everyone else. Let's not go down that trail.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

Well it is very obvious that you actually do hate Trump. But that is not what we are talking about either. This is supposed to be getting back to people's livelihoods and being able to support our families. We cannot nor should be ever rely on the government to , in your words, "take care of the citizens". It's simply a path that I don't want to go down. I would much rather work and support myself and know that I have earned what I have, and not just given freebies that cost everyone else. Let's not go down that trail.

:roll: If you have an employee that is incompetent and can't do their job, you can fire them without hating them! So what happens next if you can't make people or business's whole again? What if you can't get back to where you were, you are still going to need to be somewhere. We might have no other choice than to rely on government, at least for the duration of this health emergency. It might not be a path you want to take, but you might have to, and you should consider it. I'm sure many people would rather things go on like they did before, especially the 1 percent on top. It is not a freebie, it is aide to help you and your family. 26 million people have lost their jobs, and more will lose their jobs when the new figures come out this week. The only way to avoid a complete meltdown of society is a huge government safety net. Why should you balk at the idea, it seems a lot of capitalists don't mind government bailouts, or farmers or anyone else that qualifies for them, why should you feel guilty? Is your need any less than there's, probably it is greater, since they have lines of credit and can issue bonds if they need to.

Everyone is talking about Sweden and their tough love approach to virus management. They have the highest mortality rate of the Nordic countries, they also have a social safety net. That net includes the public health option, paid sick leave, vacation leave, aid to parents with children, they all pay into the system, and they get something back for their tax dollars. If we can afford to bail out companies, or afford to pay small business's to keep workers on the payroll, then why not just pay the workers direct and cut out the middle men, where all the cream is skimmed off, before it trickles down?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:35 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Lone Ranger,,, kindly refrain from putting your political views into this thread. I won't stand for it. This is about us as hosts getting back to work and how we are going to accomplish it.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:shock: I thought we were talking abut karaoke and reopening? You can't live in a bubble when hosting you are still a part of society, a society that is currently being torn asunder before your very eyes. You want to host, can you say you can do it completely safe? By gathering a group of people together you are raising the possibility of creating a health emergency. Even if you could meet all of the requirements needed to conduct a show, could you continue to do it night after night, without making a mistake? Mistakes happen in hospitals, much less bars.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:46 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:shock: I thought we were talking abut karaoke and reopening? You can't live in a bubble when hosting you are still a part of society, a society that is currently being torn asunder before your very eyes. You want to host, can you say you can do it completely safe? By gathering a group of people together you are raising the possibility of creating a health emergency. Even if you could meet all of the requirements needed to conduct a show, could you continue to do it night after night, without making a mistake? Mistakes happen in hospitals, much less bars.

There you go again!! Living by the "what ifs" and fear mongering. There will NEVER be a zero risk, but life does go on anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

There you go again!! Living by the "what ifs" and fear mongering. There will NEVER be a zero risk, but life does go on anyway.

:shock: My friend you are in denial, your primary job as a host is first to gather a crowd. Gathering a crowd is dangerous these days, that is why people have been limiting themselves to groups of 10 or less. While it is true that risks can never be reduced to 0, there is no good reason to create a public menace. By doing nothing you are doing no harm, that is why society needs to pay you to do nothing. It would be far cheaper to pay you, than run the risk of your show spreading the virus. You can see that can't you?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
While I can see both points of view, we can't just go the route that the risk belongs only to one group of people. Each group, the venue owner, the host and the customer shares in the risk and responsibilities of getting a show back together. It means running a show differently than in the past. Changing types of mics that can be easily sanitized between singers, refusing to take slips or verbal requests etc. Setting up ways that singers can ask for songs not in online songlist. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

:shock: My friend you are in denial, your primary job as a host is first to gather a crowd. Gathering a crowd is dangerous these days, that is why people have been limiting themselves to groups of 10 or less. While it is true that risks can never be reduced to 0, there is no good reason to create a public menace. By doing nothing you are doing no harm, that is why society needs to pay you to do nothing. It would be far cheaper to pay you, than run the risk of your show spreading the virus. You can see that can't you?

Where did you NOT see that I said, we are in a very LOW risk area? Yes, it can happen, it can happen anywhere, at anytime. And again, our state has lifted some of the restrictions, so why shouldn't we go back to work? We can still be careful and do the things that will curtail some of the possibility of exposure. As of today, there are no new cases from yesterday in our 6 county area (read my statistics that I posted earlier in this thread). There were approximately 300 people tested in that same area in the last 2 days, and no new cases. 25 cases have been reported total, 18 of which have recovered. The bar has been given the guidelines (so if you want to go by a government report, start there) for operating safely. It also has been shown that the vast majority of cases are spread within the families, and less common as socially spread. I don't mean to try to justify what we are doing, I am just saying our risk is extremely low in our area. So I feel confident that if we follow simple procedures, everyone will be safe and yet still have fun going back out into social activities.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Another point to make is, that a bar cannot operate profitably with only 10 customers or fewer. That recommendation in our area has been changed to 50 in controlled situations.

As far as hosts go and their job to create and attract crowds of people,, that may be true. But now I will agree we will have to be more selective on how many patrons are allowed.... and maybe even "who" we allow.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

What it all comes down to is that the venues and the host are going to have to do everything that is in their power to ensure the safety of the customers and still keep it fun. Those who don't deserve to be sued out of existence but in the end if the host does everything he can then he shouldn't be held accountable for someone getting sick.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:21 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
What it all comes down to is that the venues and the host are going to have to do everything that is in their power to ensure the safety of the customers and still keep it fun. Those who don't deserve to be sued out of existence but in the end if the host does everything he can then he shouldn't be held accountable for someone getting sick.

Ding!! Ding!! You earn a cookie :D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:

Where did you NOT see that I said, we are in a very LOW risk area? Yes, it can happen, it can happen anywhere, at anytime. And again, our state has lifted some of the restrictions, so why shouldn't we go back to work? We can still be careful and do the things that will curtail some of the possibility of exposure. As of today, there are no new cases from yesterday in our 6 county area (read my statistics that I posted earlier in this thread). There were approximately 300 people tested in that same area in the last 2 days, and no new cases. 25 cases have been reported total, 18 of which have recovered. The bar has been given the guidelines (so if you want to go by a government report, start there) for operating safely. It also has been shown that the vast majority of cases are spread within the families, and less common as socially spread. I don't mean to try to justify what we are doing, I am just saying our risk is extremely low in our area. So I feel confident that if we follow simple procedures, everyone will be safe and yet still have fun going back out into social activities.

:!: You are in a low risk area today, that does not mean it will be low risk tomorrow, the dynamics of the virus, and the lack of testing means an outbreak could occur at anytime at any place. In New York City for example it was very calm just before the storm of cases hit the fan. You still haven't addressed the fundamental problem of if you are a host and doing your job, you are gathering a crowd. A crowd that will be drinking, once booze is injected into the scene, things begin to loosen up. People are not so careful, that is because they are there to forget their problems, not to be living them.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:

:roll: Danny as much as I like you, this is a very rosy picture you are painting. I doubt if all of the restrictions are in place enough people can come together to make a karaoke show profitable. How can bars working at 25% capacity turn a profit, when they could barely afford karaoke before? I don't think starving KJ's are going to work for free! I don't see any with signs saying "I'll host for food". You are depending on the kindness of strangers about the not getting sued part. True the deep pockets is the venue, but if they go under, there goes the gig as well.

P.S. Here is a question for any KJ going back to work, are you going to make your singers wear a mask while performing? It makes sense, since many spit into the mike, especially when they have had a few. I personally have never sung through a mask, I wonder if it will act as a filter. Also the drinking in the bar having to move the mask up and down will be somewhat of a bother, won't it. If you are going to follow the rules all the way Mr.Scott, you will have to wear a mask as well as your patrons, right? What if somebody forgets their mask will you supply one? Another point won't all of the cleaning supplies needed for the show going to come out of the hosts pocket. Many stores and even Amazon don't have cleaning supplies, and won't be getting anymore until July or August what happens in the mean time?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

:roll: Danny as much as I like you, this is a very rosy picture you are painting. I doubt if all of the restrictions are in place enough people can come together to make a karaoke show profitable. How can bars working at 25% capacity turn a profit, when they could barely afford karaoke before? I don't think starving KJ's are going to work for free! I don't see any with signs saying "I'll host for food". You are depending on the kindness of strangers about the not getting sued part. True the deep pockets is the venue, but if they go under, there goes the gig as well.

P.S. Here is a question for any KJ going back to work, are you going to make your singers wear a mask while performing? It makes sense, since many spit into the mike, especially when they have had a few. I personally have never sung through a mask, I wonder if it will act as a filter. Also the drinking in the bar having to move the mask up and down will be somewhat of a bother, won't it. If you are going to follow the rules all the way Mr.Scott, you will have to wear a mask as well as your patrons, right? What if somebody forgets their mask will you supply one? Another point won't all of the cleaning supplies needed for the show going to come out of the hosts pocket. Many stores and even Amazon don't have cleaning supplies, and won't be getting anymore until July or August what happens in the mean time?

Hosts may not be able to get their full price for a while or may not get up and going right off the bat due to restrictions on how many people are allowed back in. That said. The ones offering the safest and funniest place to do karaoke are the ones who deserve to survive. The rest need to hang it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Hosts may not be able to get their full price for a while or may not get up and going right off the bat due to restrictions on how many people are allowed back in. That said. The ones offering the safest and funniest place to do karaoke are the ones who deserve to survive. The rest need to hang it up.

:? You have answered a question Danny, hosts will not get their full price, because they will be limited by the crowd they are allowed to draw. It is not as question as to how many hosts survive, but rather how many venues will survive that they can play in?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:43 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

:? You have answered a question Danny, hosts will not get their full price, because they will be limited by the crowd they are allowed to draw. It is not as question as to how many hosts survive, but rather how many venues will survive that they can play in?

We don't know for certain what the venues will need to be paying. I for one, will be one of the lucky ones that should receive his full fee. Not sure of the rest of the industry. But to say they "won't" be getting full price is not necessarily accurate.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
mrscott wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

We don't know for certain what the venues will need to be paying. I for one, will be one of the lucky ones that should receive his full fee. Not sure of the rest of the industry. But to say they "won't" be getting full price is not necessarily accurate.

I would not take a pay cut. It just wouldn't be worth it. Actually, we should be getting paid more... not less, since we are on the front line... putting ourselves at risk to provide entertainment for the bar. And also the additional out of pocket expense we now have supplying mic covers, sanitizer, disinfectant, etc. Yep... a pay cut just wouldn't be worth it.