KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Shopping for CDG's - Whats the best bang for your buck? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

Busiest/best days - Kjs what is your busiest/best day?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:47 am
Monday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Monday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Tuesday 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Tuesday 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Wednesday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Wednesday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Thursday 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Thursday 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Friday 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Friday 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Saturday 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Saturday 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Sunday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Sunday 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 1:27 am 
I have found that even though Sound Choice is great, the timing and sound is not always best or accurate. See they screw up once in a while to! As a matter of fact I'd rather pay less money and purchase some of the other brands such as Sweet Georgia Brown. I have CD's that I've paid $5.95 for and some of the CD's sound just as great as my Sound Choice $25.00 disks. I figure that I could do away with the timing bars over the graphics and save some dough. Don't get me wrong, I think Sound Choice is one of the best when it comes to quality, but why pay the higher prices? I know one KJ that sells disks on E-bay and runs about a thousand auctions per week. He told me that he doesn't like to sell Sound Choice because the profit margin is not that good. So he sells a wide selection of the other brands. I've been looking around at prices online and have checked out many Karaoke websites and auctions. So far, the best prices I've found have been on E-bay's auction site. I've purchased disks for as little as $5.95 each and only $1.00 to ship. I found another guy that I bid on some of his disks and he's got some "Backstage" for $7.95 each and $2.00 shipping up to 5 disks. Not bad. Of course nothing like buying the bulk package deals. Let me know what you think. :D  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:02 am 
I can tell by your words you want to get by easy and cheap (as we all do) but as the hundreds of Kj's before and after you have done the same thing.

As you seen in karaoke, nothing' perfect. If you can, try to stick with one brand that "may" help you. Every brand has it's own "nitch" and unfortunately you can't predict who you're going to cater too.

Keep in mind why things are on e-bay... If you can't tell the difference, your singers will. Backstage with a lot of brands had their day, they were cutting edge when the karaoke wheel wasn't so round.

Best of luck

Sammy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:48 am 
Sammy you make E-bay sound like maybe its not so good for buying Cdg's. I can only say this: I've purchased brands from the local retailers and purchased them new and I've also purchased them new from E-bay. Even with the shipping charges I still get a better deal on E-bay. I've seen the Sweet Georgia Brown collection 66 disks all new for $200.00 Thats the best deal yet. I just wish I would have had the money at the time to place a bid.  One of the reasons you can get better deals on E=bay is LOW OVERHEAD. No high rent, etc. I try to keep a variety of different brands and I'm still working on building my collection. I have SGB disks that sound just as good as Sound Choice. I want to add more sound choice as well I just don't want to pay $25.00 to $29.00 per disk. If you know of any great SC deals let me know. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
if you absolutely need to save some money and dont want to totally scrape the bottom,

Music maestro is hit and miss but, they have rebounded with the fine quality millenium 515 pack. for the money you cant beat it, and its also on ebay. i use them allot and never got a complaint

I also like the legends discs, very good , almost never skip, good value.

I have bought over 500 items at ebay, I have to say ive gotten some great deals and some bad ones, its a mix. ive gotten discs with song lists not matching whats on the disc, kind of like buying irregular clothes, sometimes you win and sometimes you scream what the f***  good luck

Attachments:
cdspin.gif
cdspin.gif [ 0 Bytes | Viewed 42849 times ]
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 10:15 pm 
What you say Jimmy is so true. All of a suden one disk sounds great with one manufacturer and then you by another one from them and it really sucks. Whats going on here? Is it that some bands come in drunk when they record at the studio? Or is it that the manufacturers are hiring bands that started out playing the organ with their monkey at the Circus? Are the bands being payed by peanuts or just their monkey? :D  :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 12:05 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Monkey at the circus is a good thing. The only source for disks may be an asian than uses english as a third or fourth language. The disks I have have misspelled lyrics (the words) and timed far enough off to p*ss off the Pope. The only solution may be to use a regular source (store) and preview the disk to verify quality. Sing Young will allow you to hear the product prior to purchase. (I know, some of you are not in L.A.) Butt, I've had good luck with them. (I do buy, so they don't mind)... :music:

Quotes on request... Jerry Dixon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 5:31 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Here in ny i buy from a retailer. ive been buying from him since 97. The guy and his staff have no problem opening a disc and playing it for me.

In fact one of his employees(very shrewdly) opens new releases and plays them when im the store, usually hes right about the quality of the discs he recommends.

Most times i buy the discs he plays for me.(all salesmen can learn something from this mans selling tactics)

also jd, i have seen that same bad spelling on some the old laser brands as well. I used to be quite embarrassed when a ridicoulous word appeared and the singer had no clue

One of these was in harry belafontes day-o

Instead of "tarantula" the graphic said "gargantuan"

Edited By big jimmy c on May 27 2002 at 06:36

Attachments:
cdspin4_20.gif
cdspin4_20.gif [ 0 Bytes | Viewed 42849 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:37 am 
i know that i'm a big fan of the SuperCore discs..found all over for a good price and i've been very pleased with the quality of music and graphics i've gotten.  For the money of course.  My two favorites price being no issue would still remain as Sound Choice and Priddis.  I think Priddis is underrated because they don't have alot of songs per disc..so most pros stay away from them i think.  But i have to say i've been very happy with any Priddis music i've ever used...with the possible exception of their attempts at rap, our friends in utah can do many things..but rap isn't one of them :music:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I always liked priddis,

They should have kept their retro classics and lost classic lines alive(13-15 songs per disc)

Edited By big jimmy c on June 13 2002 at 4:59

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:37 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I like Priddis, and I like Sound Choice (especally for country). Sound Choice's timing bars are nice for songs like Day-O which start off with nothing but a drum roll. Comparing Sound Choice, side by side to DK, I've found DK's sound quality to be better, but, DK has this fake electronic flute in the backround that limits your artistic license. I really like RCA (they're a little bit bigger co. than the rest).  They have quality backround music, and the back-up vocals are top of the line too, (check out Carol Kings "It's Too Late"). The downside to RCA is 4 songs with and 4 songs without vocal tracks. I also like Sweet Georga Brown. There is a karaoke store that has (at least in the past) advertised in Karaoke Scene, in the middle of the San Fernando Valley that lets you preview disks before buying. A lot of what determines which disk is best for you, is who you are. Male, female, country singer, pop singer, or headbanging rocker. If you are a rocker you might want to check out "Dangerous".  What brand of disk to buy is a problem we all face. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post Script to last post for back2one. You didn't say whether or not you're a JK or a singer. I'm a KJ and I own the DK Millenium. Not because I think that it's the best but because so many of my singers think that it's the best, and it serves my need of having many songs for my singers to choose from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:15 pm 
With CDGs, I go eclectic. I buy lots of different brands and when multiple titles appear in my books (which i try to limit through careful shopping) I encourage singers to try 'em all.
it's not so much that one is better or worse - it's just each is different and you can never be sure what a singer will prefer.
I think sound quality is more important than spelling, character-color timing or even the lryical accuracy (although that's defintiely second).
In the end, I shoot for under 50cents a song - I have about 2,000 songs and $900 invested. I always calculate my per-song price on a CDG after subtracting repeats
I got good deals from TotalKaraoke and karaokewarehouse and by buying sets. I like almost all the brands for one reason or another and also try to buy cheap VCDs which break up the graphic montony from time tot itme and which I use with vocals during lulls.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]