KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Is it being selfish or am I just following up my own rules Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I usually reserve the first time singing to the person who requests a song not in my library. I just bought a song for myself and am thinking about adding it to my database on the computer but waiting until after my next show to add it to my online songlist. Is this just being selfish or just following my already established rule of allowing the person, who happens to be myself, the right to sing it before anyone else?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I usually reserve the first time singing to the person who requests a song not in my library. I just bought a song for myself and am thinking about adding it to my database on the computer but waiting until after my next show to add it to my online songlist. Is this just being selfish or just following my already established rule of allowing the person, who happens to be myself, the right to sing it before anyone else?

Danny, I don't understand. Are you saying that if someone requests a song that you don't have, you let them sing first? If so, why?

As far as you singing the first song... I have no problem with the host starting off the night with the opening song. It's when the host continues to include himself in the rotation is what I have a problem with. Unless of course, as I've said before, you only have a few singers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
Danny, I don't understand. Are you saying that if someone requests a song that you don't have, you let them sing first? If so, why?

As far as you singing the first song... I have no problem with the host starting off the night with the opening song. It's when the host continues to include himself in the rotation is what I have a problem with. Unless of course, as I've said before, you only have a few singers.

8) Great point Alan! Danny it is not supposed to be Danny in concert, or the Danny Karaoke Show. One thing as a host is, you don't want to get the reputation, of being a MIKE HOG. There is a couple of locale KJ's that insist on singing the first song each rotation, one also tries to push singers to do as many duets with him as possible. I have a simple rule if there is 10 or more singers on the rotation when I start, I don't even put myself on the list. For the host being a MIKE HOG is just as bad as having a flawed rotation system, and will give you a bad rap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
LR & Alan I believe you may have misunderstood Danny's post.
What I read was he bought a song he did not already own because he wants to sing that song sooo...before he puts it in his "song book" he wants to sing it once....then put it up for grabs for anyone else.
I have no problem with that...he bought the song for him to sing and THEN include it in his "song book"

Danny, that is not selfish at all, and yes you are following your own rule...and a fair rule it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I had planned to use it as my mic check song at my Saturday night show. When it comes to my show, I am most definitely not a mic hog. I understand that I am not being paid to sing and will only stay in the rotation as long as I have less than 8 singers, not counting me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

OK, I think I understand now what he's trying to say now. If someone requests a song that he doesn't have, when he gets it, no one can sing it before the person that requested it. After that, it's anybody's game. And he wants to do the same thing for a song that he wants for himself. I get it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan, what would you do if you reach a certain number of singers early in the show that is enough to pull yourself out of the rotation but midway through the show that number drops for some reason below the magical number? Do you put yourself back in the rotation or do you substitute a DJ break between rotations because despite enjoying singing, you don't care if you sing during a show that you are running?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:01 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Who cares if you want to sing a song you bought before you list the song for anyone else. Just sing the damn thing. High chances are no one else will sing that particular song anyway.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan, what would you do if you reach a certain number of singers early in the show that is enough to pull yourself out of the rotation but midway through the show that number drops for some reason below the magical number? Do you put yourself back in the rotation or do you substitute a DJ break between rotations because despite enjoying singing, you don't care if you sing during a show that you are running?

Danny, whenever I don't have many singers, I will always play dance music in between. Not everyone is a singer and many people in the bar want to dance. So, on slow nights, this satisfies both groups. So, the rule is...

The fewer the singers, the more dance music. Or, the more singers, the less dance music.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
To each his own, I guess. I'm with Lonman. Just sing the damn song. I sing when there is less than 15 singers. I'm always the last one in rotation. I will sing a duet if asked and I know the song. I also play dj requests when its slow to appease the rest of the patrons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
I would give you a month before you listed the "new" song for your singers to sing it....unless someone heard you sing it at one location and asked to sing it at a different show before it was listed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:46 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I mean I guess technically since I buy on the fly - the person requesting the song gets to sing it before anyone else since it's not yet listed.
As a kj if I get a song that I don't have listed yet (or even one I do have listed), i'll sing it if I feel like it. Not a big deal.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:25 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Moot point, I really need to start checking my own library before I purchase a song. Turns out the song has been available since before Chartbuster went down.