KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Profanity In Lyrics Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Profanity In Lyrics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:43 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Macclesfield, ENGLAND Why won't the USA let honest people in?
Been Liked: 13 times
Surely it's about time karaoke manufacturers indicated when a song has swearing in the lyrics? It's no fun when punters are sat around shaking their heads at the clown screaming out profanities at the top of their voices thinking they are soooooo good.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Profanity In Lyrics
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Take the time to go through lyrics and mark each song - then you have the choice to list those songs or not. Been doing that since 1994, our club doesn't allow any F Bombs or N words, so I do not even list those songs as available in the books or searches. Will occasionally allow those songs to be sung if I know the singer will be good with censoring themselves - but usually if the song isn't listed, most will not even think about it!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I also do that. CompuHost makes it easy since they give you the option to mark a song as Flagged or Offensive. You can even write notes about it. So, in the future if that song is selected, a pop up box will appear saying that "This song has been marked as offensive. Do you still want to proceed?". Great feature.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
It doesn't happen often, but from time to time I've been asked for "The Rodeo Song" or some other equally offensive number... usually by a 20-something who thinks he's being soooo kool... That's when I put on my "one-man censor board" costume.

But, sometimes I let things slide... For instance, just last Thursday evening we closed out the show with everyone singing The Night Sweats "SOB".. an inspiration from a fellow karaoke host from Sydney, Nova Scotia. (Thanks Reg)

But as for the OP... I would also like to see manufacturers classify songs... After all, if it can be done with motion pictures, it should be simple to do for music lyrics.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:23 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Many at least say 'clean' or 'explicit' lyrics, Sound Choice use to mark their tracks with explicit lyrics much of the times. I still feel it's up to the kj to figure it out what they want.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Anyone who's ever bought CDG's, they basically all put the warnings on the cover. This goes for American and UK manufacturers. Except, I really don't recall seeing anything from Chartbuster since they really never put out anything offensive. I could be wrong. However with downloads, there is no way to tell since most sites don't tell you if the song is explicit.

Attachments:
advisory.jpg
advisory.jpg [ 450.06 KiB | Viewed 33423 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
It doesn't happen often, but from time to time I've been asked for "The Rodeo Song" or some other equally offensive number...

Earl, The Rodeo Song is very mild compared to something like Afroman's Crazy Rap (Colt 45). Now, these type of songs won't go over very well at a "club" type of place like the Eagles, Moose, VFW, etc. But at a high energy upbeat show in a bar, they are pretty popular with singers and the crowd alike. I have no problem with these songs being sung as long as the owner approves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
I have no problem with these songs being sung as long as the owner approves.

I would still refuse to play them, even if the owner or manager did approve. I don't need the work that badly.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Alan B wrote:
I have no problem with these songs being sung as long as the owner approves.

I would still refuse to play them, even if the owner or manager did approve. I don't need the work that badly.

Completely understandable, Earl. I'm not exactly crazy about them either and could certainly do without them, although I will admit I have allowed them to be sung only with the owner's approval.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
crazyface wrote:
Surely it's about time karaoke manufacturers indicated when a song has swearing in the lyrics? It's no fun when punters are sat around shaking their heads at the clown screaming out profanities at the top of their voices thinking they are soooooo good.

have yet to have a problem with anyone including owner/managers even at VFW, DAV, Legion, Eagles, Elk, Moose. everyone is an adult and use these words day in and day out.
but i do find it interesting that you call them punters while complaining about language.

if it really offends you so badly, do as Lonnie said and listen or make a note as you catch them, tag them somehow (how will depend on your software) but most manufacturers do not mark them as it is mostly adults and most adults do not have problems with these words.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
and most adults do not have problems with these words.

I don't have a problem with these words either. After all, as an ex-sailor, I just may have used one or two of them over the past 75 years. :roll: however, I seldom use them or play them around women - especially the elderly, and never around children, both of which attend my shows regularly.

In my experience, songs with extreme profanity are mostly picked by younger people, usually male, looking for show-off points, and that's not what our karaoke is about. However, there's a bar just down the street where I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:41 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Earl wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
and most adults do not have problems with these words.

I don't have a problem with these words either. After all, as an ex-sailor, I just may have used one or two of them over the past 75 years. :roll: however, I seldom use them or play them around women - especially the elderly, and never around children, both of which attend my shows regularly.

In my experience, songs with extreme profanity are mostly picked by younger people, usually male, looking for show-off points, and that's not what our karaoke is about. However, there's a bar just down the street where I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

Earl, I agree with you 110%

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
kids shows are definitely an exception, all mine are in bars so i don't get kids very often. most of the time when someone asks this question, it is in a bar and that's where i see it as a pointless argument. wait 5 minutes and in most bars you will hear much worse than these song lyrics from the patrons in their regular conversations.
you REALLY want to hear the "like a sailor" comments... listen to the women talking.... :shock:
my worst ones are the 40 something singing Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (wow...just wow) and my lady at the VFW that sings "crazy Rap"....
i don't get it... but whatever they like

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:15 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
i used to host at this one place that at one point allowed pretty much anything. Then one night, and older couple came in to sit, relax and have a couple of drinks. They just sat at the edge of the bar and struck up a conversation with the bar owner and bar tender. Then karaoke started and one young lady came on and sang the song "Goodbye Earl". Harmless, right??? You would be wrong if you assumed such. This gal's ex-husband was also in the room and they don't get along so well. While she was singing "Goodbye Earl", she replaced the lyrics with "Goodbye Donny" and a few other choice words. Needless to say it wasn't funny and was pretty rude and downright vulgar. This older couples mouths dropped and remarked to the bar owner how offended they were and how could he allow such behavior in his establishment. Then they proceeded to tell him that they couldn't support such a place, paid for their drinks and got up and left, making an announcement to the owner that they would never return.

The bar owner took that to heart and made a new ruling for onstage performances to never allow certain language and behavior. He also took it further to disallow songs that made people want to start body slamming or moshing. Even songs that were demeaning to any group of people were not allowed. So whenever someone wanted to sing such songs, even tho they were in my book, I had to tell them no and why. They seemed to understand and chose other songs.

I believe that such language, even in everyday usage, may have it's place to get a point across. But when a person uses such language simply because that is how they talk, it shows the lack of ability to choose more suitable verbiage to say the same thing. It shows that their intelligence level isn't high enough to change their behavior.

Now, while I am as guilty as the next guy to say a few choice words here and ther, whenever I am in the presence of someone that shouldn't hear that type of language, I refrain. Etiquette and respect should be shown to others just as you would want to be shown to you. In simple terms, if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother or your young daughter, then don't say it to anyone else either.

As far as song lyrics go, it's up to us as hosts to figure out which songs do not fit the type of venue/show we are running. You need to be aware of each song and make whatever "flags" (as suggested already). If a song comes up that you are not familiar with, then you must be vigilant at all times to what is being sang at any given moment and take whatever actions to end the song politely. I used to have the rules posted in the front of my books. One of the rules said something to the effect that some bar owners have ruled against profanity and you need to ask beforehand if that is the case at that particular establishment..

Just my thoughts and my opinions,,, it doesn't mean I am right or wrong, nor that others will agree with my opinion, it's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

First of all, we're talking about a bar, not a church. If this type of thing offends you then stay home. And don't watch TV either since so many programs contain vulgar language, nudity, violence and profanity.

You really want to hear profanity? Go to any Superbowl party. You'll hear a lot worse than a karaoke song. And the women are just as bad.

In today's culture, this type of thing has become very popular. Movies, TV, Music, etc... and just the way 99% of the people talk. That's just the way it is. People who complain are hypocrites. So, unless you are a saint with wings, stop your whining.

I have discussed this situation with all of my bar owners and none of them have a problem with these types of songs being sung. And I'm not talking about dive bars. These are nice upper scale places. We are supposed to be adults. So again, if this type of thing bothers you don't go out. Nobody's asking you to support a bar you don't like.

BUT... I totally disagree with the owner (that MR Scott was talking about) who kissed 2 peoples a$$es just because they were offended over everyone else who was having fun. You're always going to have people who complain. But, you cater to the majority.

As I've said, personally I can do without these songs being sung. But on the other hand, I'm no saint either. I have men in their 50's singing songs like Crazy B*tch, Colt 45, etc. and when they do, the crowd goes wild and everybody gets into it and sings along. So it's not just the kids. And I have to admit, when I see the whole place cheering and getting into it, I love it.

Again, it's a bar for Christ's Sake, not a church. And this is what goes on. So, unless you are someone who walks the straight and narrow, and never uses a curse word, you have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Alan B wrote:
First of all, we're talking about a bar, not a church. If this type of thing offends you then stay home. And don't watch TV either since so many programs contain vulgar language, nudity, violence and profanity.

You really want to hear profanity? Go to any Superbowl party. You'll hear a lot worse than a karaoke song. And the women are just as bad.

In today's culture, this type of thing has become very popular. Movies, TV, Music, etc... and just the way 99% of the people talk. That's just the way it is. People who complain are hypocrites. So, unless you are a saint with wings, stop your whining.

I have discussed this situation with all of my bar owners and none of them have a problem with these types of songs being sung. And I'm not talking about dive bars. These are nice upper scale places. We are supposed to be adults. So again, if this type of thing bothers you don't go out. Nobody's asking you to support a bar you don't like.

BUT... I totally disagree with the owner (that MR Scott was talking about) who kissed 2 peoples a$$es just because they were offended over everyone else who was having fun. You're always going to have people who complain. But, you cater to the majority.

As I've said, personally I can do without these songs being sung. But on the other hand, I'm no saint either. I have men in their 50's singing songs like Crazy B*tch, Colt 45, etc. and when they do, the crowd goes wild and everybody gets into it and sings along. So it's not just the kids. And I have to admit, when I see the whole place cheering and getting into it, I love it.

Again, it's a bar for Christ's Sake, not a church. And this is what goes on. So, unless you are someone who walks the straight and narrow, and never uses a curse word, you have nothing to complain about. Just my opinion.

Alan, we all know it's not church, but it doesn't mean we have to show disrespect to others simply because "everyone is doing it". We need to set a standard and be a better example.... Rise above my friend, rise above!!

Sending much respect to you brotha.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan B wrote:
First of all, we're talking about a bar, not a church. If this type of thing offends you then stay home.

For a start I don't think of the venues where I host karaoke as "bars". I'm fortunate in that I only work in service clubs, that happen to serve alcohol. If we were to allow "this type of thing", not only would I stay home, but I'm guessing so would 95% of our patrons.

So please understand, there are other types of venues out there... even churches... They're not all "bars" where anything goes.

Bottom line? This type of thing does offend me, but I don't have to stay home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Alan B wrote:
First of all, we're talking about a bar, not a church. If this type of thing offends you then stay home.

For a start I don't think of the venues where I host karaoke as "bars". I'm fortunate in that I only work in service clubs, that happen to serve alcohol. If we were to allow "this type of thing", not only would I stay home, but I'm guessing so would 95% of our patrons.

So please understand, there are other types of venues out there... even churches... They're not all "bars" where anything goes.

Bottom line? This type of thing does offend me, but I don't have to stay home.

Earl, I have a group of middle aged people (men and women) who come out to my Friday night show just about every week. They usually start off at The Eagles, which is a half mile away, since they start at 7 and we start at 9, but then come to my show around 9. They tell me they go there to see some of their friends but then leave to come to my venue. They like my show since they can sing anything they want without restriction and it's a lot more fun. My Friday night venue is a very High Energy place where everyone gets into it whether you're singing or not.

Now, here's the difference between The Eagles and the bar.... (it's what people have told me and pertains to one specific club)

• Going to The Eagles is like going to an old folks home.
• While drinks may be cheaper, there is no table service.
• The atmosphere at The Eagles is like going to somebody's pole barn.
• It's not as much fun as a happening bar.
• The sound sucks.
• They can't sing the songs they really want to.
• And let's not forget so many of these folks will sing the slow, boring, ballads from hell that puts everybody to sleep.

Now, for the most part, I do agree with this. It is typical of these types of clubs. However, I did host karaoke at an Eagles club at one time and I actually liked it. However, it was different than most since it was in a resort town and the inside of it was actually pretty nice. It looked like a real bar. With real wooden tables instead of those white plastic ones that most use.

Earl, I can understand if these songs offend you. But that shouldn't stop you from denying the fun they bring to others. In this business we have to be diversified. I can't tell you how many times someone requests a song that I don't want to play. Not because of any profanity, but because I simply can't stand that song. But I can't stop someone from singing what they want to just because I don't like the song.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:00 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
When I go out for a night of karaoke, I don't expect to hear the kind of language that I would expect to hear at a David Chappelle concert or an Andrew "DICE" Clay show. Most KJs today have tens of thousands of songs in their collections. There will always be someone; who usually can't carry a tune in a bucket; who will pick a song with explicit lyrics for the sole purpose of being annoying to other guests. It's human nature. There ONE in every crowd.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

One of my typical recent gigs... not a cane or wheel-chair in sight.

Attachments:
No Wheel Chairs.JPG
No Wheel Chairs.JPG [ 59.42 KiB | Viewed 33134 times ]