KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Audiences who don't clap at all, no matter how good the singer is. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Have you ever thought that a singer was better than the audiences applause indicated?
Poll ended at Mon May 21, 2007 5:20 pm
YES 48%  48%  [ 20 ]
YES 48%  48%  [ 20 ]
NO 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
NO 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I go to karaoke very frequently. I love to sing and I love rooting for other singers. I know how very difficult it can be to get up in front of a group of strangers and sing for them. My topic does not so much refer to audience reactions to the shy awkward first timer. Most audiences are gracious to the karaoke "virgin". However, I have noticed that very frequently many people who are excellent singers and sing songs other than the "typical" song sometimes never get any applause - at all. I sometimes wonder what is worse, that little sympathy applause that one or two people give you or no applause at all. I'm not talking about me here. I am talking about people that I have heard sing that are incredible singers and not a peep from the audience do they get. Does anyone here think that maybe there is a difference in the audience at a bar that just happens to have karaoke on a given night of the week and the audience at an actual karaoke bar? Have any of you ever personally experienced no applause after you were sure you sang well?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
After years of singing I can read a crowd If a crowd suddenly starts talking loud when I get done I know I have given them energy A couple of smiles in the crowd or a sinngle comment from a non singer good job gives me energy back..

I have sang in places where they were totally drunk and dead and when I left I was drained emotionally and phsically but those times are rare. Learn to read the crowd.. They give energy back in many ways Appl ause is only one way. A floor full of dancers give me more energy than applause ever does.

There is a way to turn crowds on and many Kj's have been jealous because I can and they cant. It is a magic  that that is the most exhilerating in the world.. And Addictive!!!

I had a big whig from Kodac one night say man you sing like thatb and dont even drink!!!

As a Kj you really dont get the applause and I really dont expect it or need it but I can sure tell when Im turning the crowd on...

Sat night with a younger crowd I wasnt getting much applause and the last song I did was Thats Amore by Dean Martin They went absolutely nuts and much applause Go figure.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
That us one BIG pet peeve of mine !!! ... I am talking of myself for the most part but I have noticed that on a few of our better singers alo that they get the claps but not the whoo hoos & whistles like the ones that are just up there screaming into the mics... I myself like to sing songs that are rarely ever heard at karaoke just because Im a KJ & love for people to actually look at our book instaed of singing the same ole same ole karaoke songs like Love Shack or Friends In Low Places. I spend alot of $ on my books making them fit every type of genre so I like to sing songs to help people think outside the box ya know. Anyways in doing so people sometimes will have never heard the song or for whatever reason do not clap..I on occasion have said "lets hear it for so & so" two or three times before I get the attention of people to clap...I myself on occasion have said "Thank You" (as I do after every song I sing) until I get peoples attention to basically let them know its NOT ok to sing at our show but not give claps to others. It is ok to give the "virgins" confidence but ya gotta let the great singers know theyre great too. JMO..

[shadow=black][scroll]You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself....KD Lang[/scroll][/shadow]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:56 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I clap for people no matter how good or bad people are because I know the effort and the guts to get up in front of a lot of people. I've had numerous times that I've thought I've rocked out on songs and seemed to silence a full bar not ever knowing if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I've also had the same thing happen when I was doing theatre but I tried not to let it affect the rest of my performance. I think the worst instance of no appluase happened during a performance of Evita I saw back in 1998 when Ana Maria Andricain soared through Don't Cry For Me Argentina and I was the only one in a huge theatre full of people clapping...some audiences are shy and finiky but others are just incredibly grateful for anyone to entertain them. Let's be happy we get reactions from audiences most of the time though, in Japan and some Asian countries it's considered rude to make any noises throughout a performance.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I try and read a crowd but when I'm in the opening round and the place really don't get busy until the second round, I usually do new songs or songs just for myself to enjoy.   Most of my songs that I do are so new that US hasn't even heard it yet, and if I ever go to UK for a karaoke show I'd kill there.   But when no one knows the song or the place is dead there, I say "Wow Swing and a Miss" when I leave the stage.    But then when the venue is more of a crowd I do get applause.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
adrianphantom @ Wed May 16, 2007 7:56 pm wrote:
I clap for people no matter how good or bad people are because I know the effort and the guts to get up in front of a lot of people. I've had numerous times that I've thought I've rocked out on songs and seemed to silence a full bar not ever knowing if it was a good thing or a bad thing. I've also had the same thing happen when I was doing theatre but I tried not to let it affect the rest of my performance. I think the worst instance of no appluase happened during a performance of Evita I saw back in 1998 when Ana Maria Andricain soared through Don't Cry For Me Argentina and I was the only one in a huge theatre full of people clapping...some audiences are shy and finiky but others are just incredibly grateful for anyone to entertain them. Let's be happy we get reactions from audiences most of the time though, in Japan and some Asian countries it's considered rude to make any noises throughout a performance.

I've also watched crowd give applause to the jukebox or a fill song (rare) that gets played out of habit, they don't even realize someone was singing or not.  Karaoke has changed that much over the years from people actually watching the performances to clapping out of habit when a song is done.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

When I personally sing I also WATCH the crowd.  People singing at their seats, people tapping their feet, people dancing are all part of the "appreciation" phase of karaoke.  The truth is some people who are NOT singers and are out at the bar for other reasons then karaoke CAN'T BE BOTHERED CLAPPING after every singer.
may be rude ? I don't know ....... The worse the singer the BETTER the appplause I find out ( at least on the 1st song) ....second bad song people begin to HOWL  :)  :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:58 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Who knows all the factors that go into the amount of applause people get?  Sometimes people come in in groups and every time someone in that group sings their friends will give them a huge hand and then not clap at all for anybody else.  Sometimes people get big applause because the crowd likes the song, or gets the slient treatment because the crowd doesn't like the song, regardless of the quality of the singing.  I've seen a few instances of very good singers knocking the crowd dead with the first couple of songs, and then the crowd sort of gets used to the quality and no longer is impressed after awhile.  It probably works the other way too, where somebody who normally isn't very good finds the perfect song for them and nails it to the crowd's unexpected delight.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:45 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I also always say give it up for, give a nice round of applause, put your hands together, etc...Some nights I don't need to say anything at all, the crowds go on their own after every song.  Other nights it wouldn't matter who was singing, the applause is disappointing even when I tell them.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:51 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I agree with with all of you and your explanations have been one that I have thought of too. I have some others as well that I'd like to test on you all as well. Do any of you think that no matter how good the person is, if the song is not well known, that will affect the appreciation of the song or the reaction and (I know that I am going out on a limb here), but does anybody think that if a singer is too good that the audience either doesn't believe they actually sang the song or that they don't need applause because they know how good they are?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:10 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Songs: 5
Been Liked: 5 times
I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I really think that it depends on where you are hosting your show and who is singing.... Sure, I have been at places that there was no aplause and when someone who can't carry a tune in a bucket but looks sexy in her high heels, mini skirt and tank top gets a standing ovation. The guys just havent figured out yet that they can't all get lucky with her. I KJ mostly at private parties and have found them to be the best audiences. They are not used to seeing their friends and family get up and sing and they really enjoy it whereas the bar goers have learned to tune it out and the only thing that catches their attention is miss sexy pants.....

Another big factor is song choice.... If you want to get the croud excited sing something that will wake them up and take notice. Singing Welcome to My World at 12:00 at night is not as likely to get them hooping and hollaring as good as Family Tradition will.

Ok I'm Done now!
John

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:49 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
All I can say is "Depends on the group in the audience".  Some men run ahead and grab a door to open it for a women,  others such as myself run to pull the chair out from under her when she wants to sit down..

Hey-   It's just the type of grooming I've had !  :worship:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:31 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I've experienced a dead crowd before. I find like others have said encouraging the crowd helps a lot. As a KJ I will clap and give a holler after a performance and then say give so & so some love out there. People tend to follow the KJs lead like if I'm clapping along to a song they will start.

Just because people don't respond to a performance doesn't mean the singer was bad or even the song choice. If that happens even with prodding the audience I make sure to encourage the singer and let them know they did a good job.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Its a key part of the KJ's job to "Work" the crowd..ie get them involved by saying something and showing enthusiams at the end of EACH song---like LON said---say things to rev them up and get them involved---let them know its the crowds JOB to clap for EVERYONE--(the KJ included)!! The net result is that people will thank u afterward and come up and tell u how mcuh fun they had--even if they werent getting up and singing--they still got to be vocal and part of the show and party by hooting and hollering and clapping whistling and applaucing---even for people they dont know. The oppositi is they just sit there probly not knowing what to do. But with a good KJ/Host--they will get whipped into a participative frenzy and have the time of their life!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:15 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Thu May 17, 2007 7:49 pm wrote:
Some men run ahead and grab a door to open it for a women,  others such as myself run to pull the chair out from under her when she wants to sit down..

But do you push the chair back in or let her fall on her a$$?   LMAO

Sorry!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

LMAO

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
It's not a bad idea for the kj to have a backing track of applause.
Would that be cheating? Image

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:59 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I have used audience applause effects before - it is fun to use once in a great while - it makes people laugh -

As applause filler it seemed ingenuine.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:37 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Depending on particular setting, is applause always necessary ?  Many Pros sing on slow nights and although they are highly respected in their area of the craft, people MAY applaud the first few times they sing, however these are regs that go every sunday and the novelty of their brilliance has worn off given that particular setting. To continuously applaud can be contrived.   When friends came to intense practice sessions we didn't want "applause" if anything we wanted criticism.

Right, or wrong there are situations where you find yourself in the following setting

"Yeah,  we know we are good.  If you wish to contribute kindly tell us something we don't already know".

My own perception on this, is that there are particular settings where I DON'T expect most to have proper etiquette.  For instance very young drunk crowds or even older drunk people in bars never struck me as those you should have excedingly high expectations of regarding many aspects of proper etiquette, but my days in bars were much different than today.. Laws have changed but still... My expectations are only based on my own experiences which are on certain nights, you, as the entertainer are just there, background, or IF somebody has a use for what you provide, but at times many do not want your entertainment there, they'd just assume play pool, or watch the ballgame on the tube..  This is another very specific area that depends on setting.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:44 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

It's a funny thing applause. When people don't clap when I sing I don't think much of it personally, but when they hoot, hooler and go crazy I'm embarrassed. I never know what quite to do, but say thank you.

When someone else sings and doesn't get applause I feel bad for them.  :hug: