KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Just got slapped with reality and I didn't like it.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
c. staley wrote:
It's all a matter of preference and there is NO "single perfect way" to set up a sound system for karaoke.

Well actually there is, flat. But it requires the right equipment, knowledge, and abilities. There just aren't many audio engineers doing karaoke gigs! lol

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:42 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
The power of a Compressor / Limiter = almost lie a soundman in a box. What the hell it's just karaoke. No soundman needed.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 37 times
Just what the Dr. ordered - http://karaokescene.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39392

Almost all the vocals in modern music music goes through a device like this, Auto-Tune, or similar.
It Is Not a level playing field! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Except Chip I dont recommend all of that. I recommend stuff that is in people's budget. The Lexicon is a cheap, professional unit that will enhance the sound coming from the computer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Lonman wrote:
Except Chip I dont recommend all of that. I recommend stuff that is in people's budget. The Lexicon is a cheap, professional unit that will enhance the sound coming from the computer.
I'm not saying that it won't enhance the sound coming from the computer, but simply that it's another piece of equipment to add in the chain and for the most part, singers and sports clubs really don't notice.
The most critical sound person in that room is usually the KJ.

Like you, I've been running karaoke shows from well before the first day that it was possible to put karaoke on a computer. I know what the lexicon is, what it does, and that it in fact does improve the sound. My point is that for most clubs running karaoke, patrons are not going to be aware of the difference and they are more focused on having fun and singing the songs with their friends. If I had a system like yours, that didn't have to be moved several times a week, I would probably add a lexicon to it and a 44 band equalizer – just for fun. But I don't believe that it would be a requirement nor would it be an absolute necessity.

What I find to be more of a necessity – even in a mobile unit – is to have a compressor/limiter only on the mic channels that will keep drunk patrons from damaging your sound system when they either drop a microphone, scream into a microphone, or otherwise abuse the system. The trade-off is that it might make their voices sound a little "breathy" but even then, patrons don't notice the difference. After all, we are handing a microphone to someone who is usually
(a) not trained to use it properly,
(b) been drinking and
(c) believe your multi-thousand-dollar sound system is just a Play-Skool Toy for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Just want to let the OP, x7xHawkx7x, know what I've been up to with OpenKJ.

I've got OpenKJ version 1.5.31 (newest unstable release) running on a Linux Mint 64 bit laptop. Runs great, and all the software cost $0.00.

After hearing all the accolades about the Lexicon Alpha in this thread, I grabbed a used one locally today. It was literally Plug & Play hooking it up. Linux has come a long way!

This, with a microphone and a powered speaker, would definitely make a great minimalist system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:44 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:
I'm not saying that it won't enhance the sound coming from the computer, but simply that it's another piece of equipment to add in the chain and for the most part, singers and sports clubs really don't notice.
The most critical sound person in that room is usually the KJ.
Well yes and no, it's technically another piece, but it's replacing the built in sound card of the laptop completely so it's in it's own chain, not an addition to. But if it's going to make a big difference to make those mp3s sound much fuller and not like they are playing underwater (which I hear more often than not from other shows simply using a headphone jack), then i'll recommend it.

Quote:
Like you, I've been running karaoke shows from well before the first day that it was possible to put karaoke on a computer. I know what the lexicon is, what it does, and that it in fact does improve the sound. My point is that for most clubs running karaoke, patrons are not going to be aware of the difference and they are more focused on having fun and singing the songs with their friends. If I had a system like yours, that didn't have to be moved several times a week, I would probably add a lexicon to it and a 44 band equalizer – just for fun. But I don't believe that it would be a requirement nor would it be an absolute necessity.
Like you pointed at, I primarily run the sound with the intent it's for my ears only. If I like it, chances are most others will. But many of our singers are also in bands and stage performers and they can also tell the difference which is why they come to ours vs others.

Quote:
What I find to be more of a necessity – even in a mobile unit – is to have a compressor/limiter only on the mic channels that will keep drunk patrons from damaging your sound system when they either drop a microphone, scream into a microphone, or otherwise abuse the system. The trade-off is that it might make their voices sound a little "breathy" but even then, patrons don't notice the difference. After all, we are handing a microphone to someone who is usually
(a) not trained to use it properly,
(b) been drinking and
(c) believe your multi-thousand-dollar sound system is just a Play-Skool Toy for them.
100% agree all karaoke should be using a compressor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Is the compressor another piece of gear? Or is it something I set up in my XR-12?

My Lexicon Alpha arrived today, but UPS delivered it to my neighbor's house, hopefully they will fix the issue so I can get to work setting it up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
x7xHawkx7x wrote:
Is the compressor another piece of gear? Or is it something I set up in my XR-12?

My Lexicon Alpha arrived today, but UPS delivered it to my neighbor's house, hopefully they will fix the issue so I can get to work setting it up.

The mixer has compression built-in. You have to pick your channels and set it up. I am getting a x18 because it comes with the USB interface built-in.

Attachments:
X18_P0AWZ_Top_XXL-d1ceeeeeb3d1fc5353f9f2a065d16416.jpg
X18_P0AWZ_Top_XXL-d1ceeeeeb3d1fc5353f9f2a065d16416.jpg [ 55.48 KiB | Viewed 26103 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:10 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
x7xHawkx7x wrote:

Compression is used when the live vocals are either too soft, or too loud. If you are in a situation such as karaoke, and your singers who cannot seem to control yelling or screaming into the mics, compression takes those "peak" vocals and noises and suppresses them so as to not overload your speakers. Think of it as the equivalent to using a surge protector for electrical equipment. In a home environment, you are the one who controls how loud you are singing and how your vocals are set. So, in a home setup, it's not absolutely necessary to have compression, but in a bar or professional setting, compression can be a useful tool. There are other uses for compression as well, such as when a person is recording their vocals.

But, in your case, I believe you would be fine without compression. Although, I was reading a little of the manual on the XR12, depending on how it is set up and controlled (android, ipad, PC), then I believe some level of compression is possible. I see "gate" is one of the features, and usually when "gate" is available, then often times so is compression.

Last edited by mrscott on Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks guys. I'll make sure I set up compression, might as well experiment with it at home so I understand it. It can't hurt when I'm singing some of my Metal songs anyways. Hoping to record a couple of songs soon.

\m/ \m/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:45 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

It's too bad you can't get your hands on a DBX GoRack. They were end-of-life blowing them out all over the place for $30 shipped, now they're $175 on fleabay.

It's basically a jack of all trades little black box. I use mine on only the mic channel for compression, anti-feedback, and just a tad of EQ - it's the best thing since sliced bread. Good mic preamps as well.

If one of these things should happen to fall out of your friends car, stick it under your shirt and play stupid! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
When setting up an audio compressor for your music, simply play a regular track and then adjust the threshold till you see one or two leds lighting up during the compression.

It's like set and forget (EX: ratio 2:1, Threshold -15db, makeup gain +8db, 0 attack, 0 release, 0 noisegate)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:24 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

LMAO no compression is not 'set and forget', each singer will be a little different. If you don't care about sound and want to leave it alone, then it's set and forget!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Lonman wrote:
LMAO no compression is not 'set and forget', each singer will be a little different. If you don't care about sound and want to leave it alone, then it's set and forget!

i think she was talking about the compressor she puts on the already compressed music.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:29 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Never know with her..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Lonman wrote:
Never know with her..... :twisted:

touche'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:04 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Hanginon wrote:
It's too bad you can't get your hands on a DBX GoRack. They were end-of-life blowing them out all over the place for $30 shipped, now they're $175 on fleabay.

It's basically a jack of all trades little black box. I use mine on only the mic channel for compression, anti-feedback, and just a tad of EQ - it's the best thing since sliced bread. Good mic preamps as well.

If one of these things should happen to fall out of your friends car, stick it under your shirt and play stupid! :mrgreen:

I think I found one of these. It should cost me $40 or less. The guy is looking into shipping costs. I'll need to find a power adapter for it, but that shouldn't be too hard on Amazon. Lots of universal stuff out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:06 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman wrote:
Don't connect your laptop via the headphone jack, get a decent USB I/O like the Lexicon Alpha (unless that board has a USB interface already). It will be like replacing a 10 watt light bulb with a 100 watt light bulb.

What is the best way to connect the Lexicon Alpha to my Mixer? Should I use the 1/4" outputs or the RCA jacks?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
x7xHawkx7x wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Don't connect your laptop via the headphone jack, get a decent USB I/O like the Lexicon Alpha (unless that board has a USB interface already). It will be like replacing a 10 watt light bulb with a 100 watt light bulb.

What is the best way to connect the Lexicon Alpha to my Mixer? Should I use the 1/4" outputs or the RCA jacks?

The 1/4's are a more reliable solid connection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next