KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - PEP on Indiegogo? C'mon really? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:58 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Sound Choice has an Indiegogo page. No I am NOT linking it, but if you want to see it, and have a good laugh, just go to their website, it's right on top.

The Nutshell: They want $7500 to produce FIVE new songs.

BTW, none of the reward levels would get you whatever actual songs they might eventually produce. For $15, I can get 5 tracks from Karaoke Versions compared to a "Thank You" and a collapsible can cooler for $25 bucks. Maybe if they put it in at say the $100 level, someone might be gullible enough to plunk down $20/track to help them out.

Honestly, it's laughable that NO ONE in the PEP company is willing pony up $7500 and take the risk of putting out FIVE songs. Not a full catalog... FIVE SONGS.

So my question: If no one at PEP wants to take the risk on their own product, why should we?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
Worth every penny to be able to claim that you have the latest Sound Choice products available. ALL FIVE OF THEM!!! With the size of most libraries today, the average karaoke singer would never know you had them. Hardly anyone even bothers to print out books anymore. Last karaoke show I went to the KJ was playing karaoke tracks right from YouTube.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Some KJs already are bragging about having over 300,000 songs to pick from. Is having 300,005 songs really going to make your show better? LOL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
KJKILLER wrote:
Some KJs already are bragging about having over 300,000 songs to pick from. Is having 300,005 songs really going to make your show better? LOL

Especially if they are quadrupled up in unique number of songs(trying to be fair but it's possible that there's even more duplicates).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Well hopefully the people at PEP are smart enough to not produce something that's is widely available on the market.

But honestly, my point is more that as KJs, we are expected to spend thousands of dollars on our gear and to acquire our music legally w/o any promise of recouping our investment.

However a supposed "major player" in the karaoke market needs to crowd fund $7500 so they can produce music (All of FIVE tracks) w/o fear of losing their own money.

Also note that unlike most crowd funding commercial offerings, PEP is NOT offering the tracks they make at any level, even at the higher tiers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Even though I liked their tracks in the past. I have decided to go with Hoster and the Party Tyme subscription. If I choose to use a subscription. Happen to like how Party Tyme's subscription works. There's a choice between paying up front for the subscription for a month, good for those who have multiple shows a month, and a 48 hour pass that's good for when you don't know when your next show is going to be like private parties or a single show.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
At this point, I really don't see the need for new SC material. For the past 10 years, we've gotten along just fine getting our new karaoke songs from other manufacturers such as Zoom, SBI, Karaoke Version, etc. And from a quality standpoint, they all produce quality tracks that are comparable to, or even surpassing SC quality. So, I see no advantage for SC to produce new tracks. I think that at this point, it's a little too late to try to re-enter the market. Remember, for the past 10 years, with no new SC music, karaoke singers did not stop going out for karaoke. It made no difference at all.

I think SC should look for other ways or for the "next big thing" that can change the karaoke industry, but stay away from producing new music. It's not necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
At this point, I really don't see the need for new SC material. For the past 10 years, we've gotten along just fine getting our new karaoke songs from other manufacturers such as Zoom, SBI, Karaoke Version, etc. And from a quality standpoint, they all produce quality tracks that are comparable to, or even surpassing SC quality. So, I see no advantage for SC to produce new tracks. I think that at this point, it's a little too late to try to re-enter the market. Remember, for the past 10 years, with no new SC music, karaoke singers did not stop going out for karaoke. It made no difference at all.

I think SC should look for other ways or for the "next big thing" that can change the karaoke industry, but stay away from producing new music. It's not necessary.

For once, Alan, we're in complete agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I agree that the duplicate issue is important. Some people have 50 or more versions of the same songs like "MY WAY" or "CRAZY". My guess would be that there are probably less than 40,000 individual titles available on karaoke and that includes all of the homemade stuff that is out there. Most people who sing at karaoke bars sing the same old songs that they were singing when karaoke first became popular and will continue to do so. The younger generation are the only ones looking for newer songs to sing and many KJs don't have them because the younger people will eventually pick something that the KJ already has. There are many KJs out there who claim to have every song ever made for karaoke but they can't play a karaoke disc. True Professionals! You're supposed to believe that someone legally attained 300,000 karaoke tracks but they can't afford to have a CD+G player or software that can play a CD+G disc from their laptops DVD drive. It's laughable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
KJKILLER wrote:
Most people who sing at karaoke bars sing the same old songs that they were singing when karaoke first became popular and will continue to do so. The younger generation are the only ones looking for newer songs to sing and many KJs don't have them because the younger people will eventually pick something that the KJ already has.

Actually, my younger singers love to sing the oldies. I used to try to anticipate their requests and buy the downloads that I thought they would sing, was I wrong. I have new songs that have never been sung. Now I only look for and buy songs that my singers request. It's a lot cheaper lol and I know it'll be sung.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I think anyone that sends them a dime, after all the years of lies and suing their customers, is a complete idiot...

And I'd like to invite those same lovely people to send me money too.... They will in return, get a heartfelt "thank you" from me and that's it.... No ongoing contract.

The difference here is of course that at least I'm not lying to anyone or making excuses for almost a decade and they know UP FRONT exactly what they get in return.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Alan B wrote:

I agree, no need for new sc tracks,
I don't think that would fly. The only
Possible moneymaker I see for sc
Is a compilation of songs that were
Released by sc and are not available
Anywhere else,if it were possible :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:35 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
KJKILLER wrote:
I agree that the duplicate issue is important. Some people have 50 or more versions of the same songs like "MY WAY" or "CRAZY". My guess would be that there are probably less than 40,000 individual titles available on karaoke and that includes all of the homemade stuff that is out there. Most people who sing at karaoke bars sing the same old songs that they were singing when karaoke first became popular and will continue to do so. The younger generation are the only ones looking for newer songs to sing and many KJs don't have them because the younger people will eventually pick something that the KJ already has. There are many KJs out there who claim to have every song ever made for karaoke but they can't play a karaoke disc. True Professionals! You're supposed to believe that someone legally attained 300,000 karaoke tracks but they can't afford to have a CD+G player or software that can play a CD+G disc from their laptops DVD drive. It's laughable.

I love it when a k.j. has my version of a song,
And even more when they can play my discs.
Then again when I ask if they have a song and
They reply I have 150, 200, thousand songs, I
Immediately reply I can name you 10 songs,
That you don't have, and I'm usually right!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I've made over 4,000 home made karaoke tracks of my own from instrumentals that I have purchased or have found on youtube. Half of those tracks are probably made with the original vocal track so I could learn how to sing them: but that still 2,000 songs that I know the local KJs don't have in their library so it sucks when they can't play the discs that I bring. I enjoy telling the bar or restaurant owner that's why I won't be coming back. There's a bar 5 miles away that will play my discs without any questions so I'll go there instead. I make my home made stuff using a much larger font so I don't have a problem seeing the words on the screen. I also like to use just red white and black so the contrast is much easier for my diabetic eyes to make out the swipes. I've been to some shows where they use a lot of Music Maestro and old DK Karaoke discs and I can't really see the difference between the yellow and the white swipes. Change the yellow to red and voila! Better Mouse Trap. Not a big fan of Sound Choice's use of dark Blue letters on a Black background. Very difficult for older eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:49 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
c. staley wrote:
I think anyone that sends them a dime, after all the years of lies and suing their customers, is a complete idiot...

And I'd like to invite those same lovely people to send me money too.... They will in return, get a heartfelt "thank you" from me and that's it.... No ongoing contract.

The difference here is of course that at least I'm not lying to anyone or making excuses for almost a decade and they know UP FRONT exactly what they get in return.

:mrgreen: I love it.. I have some coins left over from my Japan trip, and I was going to forward them to my grandson.
Perhaps this option works also. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
KJKILLER wrote:
I've made over 4,000 home made karaoke tracks of my own from instrumentals that I have purchased or have found on youtube. Half of those tracks are probably made with the original vocal track so I could learn how to sing them: but that still 2,000 songs that I know the local KJs don't have in their library so it sucks when they can't play the discs that I bring. I enjoy telling the bar or restaurant owner that's why I won't be coming back. There's a bar 5 miles away that will play my discs without any questions so I'll go there instead. I make my home made stuff using a much larger font so I don't have a problem seeing the words on the screen. I also like to use just red white and black so the contrast is much easier for my diabetic eyes to make out the swipes. I've been to some shows where they use a lot of Music Maestro and old DK Karaoke discs and I can't really see the difference between the yellow and the white swipes. Change the yellow to red and voila! Better Mouse Trap. Not a big fan of Sound Choice's use of dark Blue letters on a Black background. Very difficult for older eyes.

well, your name is appropriate i guess.
how dare they not play you tube tracks with unlicensed graphics?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:09 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

There are KJs out there that have either downloaded their entire library for free or have purchased loaded hard drives for pennies on the dollar but your issue is with a guy who makes a few songs for himself using an instrumental version that he found on youtube? So now I'm actually or figuratively killing KJs when I take a few home made songs to karaoke with me. LOL When American Karaoke makers stopped making the songs that I wanted to sing, I started making them myself. You're entitled to hate me for it I guess. It won't stop me from enjoying karaoke. I doubt that Sound Choice's 5 new songs will be any of the songs that I have created for myself. If they are, I might try to purchase them if allowed to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

One more thing. There are plenty of KJs that are still using tracks from discs that were never licensed by the companies that created them. The list is so long that I will not name every one of those karaoke companies. We all know who they are. My homemade stuff is just as legal as anything made by those companies and I don't try to sell my stuff anywhere so there is no money being made by me that some publisher is being cheated out of.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
KJKILLER wrote:
One more thing. There are plenty of KJs that are still using tracks from discs that were never licensed by the companies that created them. The list is so long that I will not name every one of those karaoke companies. We all know who they are. My homemade stuff is just as legal as anything made by those companies and I don't try to sell my stuff anywhere so there is no money being made by me that some publisher is being cheated out of.

They, (Commercial Karaoke Publishers) say different.

Something about paying for public performance, and they really want your money.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Ya' know, Poppa here is pretty old, and he remembers when it could be viewed in Classified Ads Section of many newspapers across the country where there was a plea placed and worded as if it would be the prudent thing for one to do : "LAST CHANCE to send your dollar to [ mailing address here ]".

There were so many gullible responces that the Post Master General made that ad, and any similar, a Federal Offense punishable by Law of Land.

Sounds similar, huh? LOL Especially when you know it is never going to happen!

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

Last edited by dvdgdry on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.