KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Recording on compuhost Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording on compuhost
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
I have the yamaha mg124cx. How do I send the signal from compuhost to the mixer so it records my song. I already have auto record on, I saved the recording to my external hard drive. When I try to call it up on my filler tunes, there is no song. Do I physically need to link the two other than by the soundcard 1/8( laptop) 1/4 dual (mixer)?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:25 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Here's a Support Team response to this very question on their forums, hopefully it'll help you.

Did you connect the required cable between your mixer's TAPE OUT port and your input device's (sound card) LINE IN? If not, you need to.

Typically users utilize a standard 1/8 phono to Component (RCA) Y-cable available at your local computer outlet. Connect the two RCA connectors to the TAPE OUT port normally found on professional Audio Mixers. Connect the other end (1/8 phone) to the LINE IN (normally BLUE in color) port of your sound device (Sound Card). After properly routing the signal (cable), be sure to select the appropriate "Recording Input" within the CompuHost setup to reflect the Sound Device's LINE IN. This varies depending on the Sound Device, it may simply be LINE IN, or something similar.

Recommended CompuHost Settings are as follows...

Recording Device: Select the Sound Device (Sound Card) that your input signal is attached to.
Recording Input: Select the appropriate "Recording Input" to reflect the Sound Devices LINE IN. This varies depending on the Sound Device, it may simply be LINE IN, or something similar.
Recording File Format: Select the format based on your intended use of the resulting recording files. MP3 is the most common selection.
Audio Output Format: For best audio quality, select the HIGHEST format your sound device supports, 48khz 16bit Stereo is preferable.
Recordings Folder: Select the folder you wish the resulting Recording Files to be placed in.

IMPORTANT! You may need to make adjustments to the Sound Device Properties to obtain the optimal recording quality. If your resulting recordings sound garbled, or contain static you'll need to adjust the "Recording Volume" in the Sound Device Properties.

NOTE: A button to directly access the Device Levels is slated for a future revision, in the meantime the following steps should be followed

Windows XP
1. Open the Windows Control Panel
2. Select "Sounds and Audio Devices"
3. Select the "Audio" tab
4. Under "Sound Recording", select the applicable "Recording Device" (Sound Card)
5. Click the "Volume" button to adjust, lower settings are generally preferred.

Windows Vista
1. Open Control Panel in Classic View
2. Select "Sound"
3. Select the "Recording" tab
4. Select the applicable Recording Device (Sound Card and Input Port) ie:Line In
5. Click the "Properties" button
6. Select the "Levels" tab to adjust the input level, lower settings are generally preferred.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:09 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

soundcard 1/8( laptop) 1/4 dual (mixer)? So this doesn't cover that? I am using the internal soundcard of my laptop since the uca202 isn't working properly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:57 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

ripman8 @ Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:09 pm wrote:
soundcard 1/8( laptop) 1/4 dual (mixer)? So this doesn't cover that? I am using the internal soundcard of my laptop since the uca202 isn't working properly.

Not sure what you mean? Be aware that in order to use the recording feature, you'll need TWO cables(feeds) to/from the laptop to the mixer. One cable "sends" the audio from the laptop's line out port to the appropriate channel input on your mixer, while the other (second cable) returns the mixed signal back to CompuHost and should be connected to the mixer's "Tape Out" port on one end, and the other gets plugged into the laptops "line in" port.

After this, refer to the above response for recommended settings, since you have two audio devices attached (Internal and USB), be sure to select the proper sound device in the setup.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey ripman the blue font is really hard to read for us OLD FOLK...LOL could you try a more visible color?

Is this just me or are others having a problem reading with that color?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I'm not even as old as you and I have a tough reading it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Oh you guys. Are you reading thru 3D glasses? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Flipper @ Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm wrote:
Hey ripman the blue font is really hard to read for us OLD FOLK...LOL could you try a more visible color?

OK I'll bite :o but I don't see it in blue, I see it in yellow and no I'm not color blind maybe its just Firefox and it changes it for me.
Don't know why you guys are seeing blue cuz like I said everything he types is in yellow.

Lone Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Lone Wolf @ Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 am wrote:
Flipper @ Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:44 pm wrote:

OK I'll bite :o but I don't see it in blue, I see it in yellow and no I'm not color blind maybe its just Firefox and it changes it for me.
Don't know why you guys are seeing blue cuz like I said everything he types is in yellow.

He changed it to yellow.

The answer is in -- you need a cable going from main out on the mixer to the input of the sound card in the PC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Yes, I did change to yellow lone.

So if I use my internal sound card, I have my 1/8 hooked into the headphone jack on the laptop, the other end which is dual 1/4 into channel 9/10 of the mixer. I don't have a tape out on the mixer. What do I plug the cord into on both the mixer and laptop?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

ripman8 @ Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:53 am wrote:
Yes, I did change to yellow lone.

So if I use my internal sound card, I have my 1/8 hooked into the headphone jack on the laptop, the other end which is dual 1/4 into channel 9/10 of the mixer. I don't have a tape out on the mixer. What do I plug the cord into on both the mixer and laptop?

According to the manual I found on Yamaha's site, at the top of your mixer you should find a set of RCA/Composite (Red/White) jacks labeled "Rec Out". These are the same as "Tape Out" found on most mixers. Anyway, you'll need a cable with one 1/8" phono plug on one end (plugged into the laptop's Line In port) and splits into TWO Composite/RCA connectors on the other end (connects to the mixer's "Rec Out" jacks).

An example of the cable you need can be found here...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hosa-Stereo ... 1128939.gc

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Now the $10,000 question: Any of you use Compuhost to record your singers? If so how does it do with recording? I'll have to try it Tuesday night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Gryf @ Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 am wrote:
Now the $10,000 question: Any of you use Compuhost to record your singers? If so how does it do with recording? I'll have to try it Tuesday night.

If you have it setup properly it does a great job. It's important to have the proper settings (refer to the post at the top of this topic regarding the recommended setting from CH. Also, you may have to play with Gain and Input levels to optimize the recordings. Also, if using a computer that shares the Mic In and Line In, typically laptops, be sure to SHUT OFF the "Microphone Boost", if not the recordings will sound horrible due to clipping.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:34 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Or just use Audacity, that way you can add some dynamics to the recording & normalize the levels.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thanks!

What is the line in on my laptop?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

tbreen @ Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:25 pm wrote:
Here's a Support Team response to this very question on their forums, hopefully it'll help you.

Did you connect the required cable between your mixer's TAPE OUT port and your input device's (sound card) LINE IN? If not, you need to.

Typically users utilize a standard 1/8 phono to Component (RCA) Y-cable available at your local computer outlet. Connect the two RCA connectors to the TAPE OUT port normally found on professional Audio Mixers. Connect the other end (1/8 phone) to the LINE IN (normally BLUE in color) port of your sound device (Sound Card). After properly routing the signal (cable), be sure to select the appropriate "Recording Input" within the CompuHost setup to reflect the Sound Device's LINE IN. This varies depending on the Sound Device, it may simply be LINE IN, or something similar.

Recommended CompuHost Settings are as follows...

Recording Device: Select the Sound Device (Sound Card) that your input signal is attached to.
Recording Input: Select the appropriate "Recording Input" to reflect the Sound Devices LINE IN. This varies depending on the Sound Device, it may simply be LINE IN, or something similar.
Recording File Format: Select the format based on your intended use of the resulting recording files. MP3 is the most common selection.
Audio Output Format: For best audio quality, select the HIGHEST format your sound device supports, 48khz 16bit Stereo is preferable.
Recordings Folder: Select the folder you wish the resulting Recording Files to be placed in.

IMPORTANT! You may need to make adjustments to the Sound Device Properties to obtain the optimal recording quality. If your resulting recordings sound garbled, or contain static you'll need to adjust the "Recording Volume" in the Sound Device Properties.

NOTE: A button to directly access the Device Levels is slated for a future revision, in the meantime the following steps should be followed

Windows XP
1. Open the Windows Control Panel
2. Select "Sounds and Audio Devices"
3. Select the "Audio" tab
4. Under "Sound Recording", select the applicable "Recording Device" (Sound Card)
5. Click the "Volume" button to adjust, lower settings are generally preferred.

Windows Vista
1. Open Control Panel in Classic View
2. Select "Sound"
3. Select the "Recording" tab
4. Select the applicable Recording Device (Sound Card and Input Port) ie:Line In
5. Click the "Properties" button
6. Select the "Levels" tab to adjust the input level, lower settings are generally preferred.

I've got the cable but,,,,"Audio Output Format: For best audio quality, select the HIGHEST format your sound device supports, 48khz 16bit Stereo is preferable. ""

How do I find out what it supports? I've recorded at the lowest and it sounds like crap. I went to 16 16 and it's recording but there is no sound in playback, music nor vocals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It'll be listed. You shouldn't get a recording bit rate listed that your card can't handle.

If you have a 24bit card go with that but be prepared for a much larger file size.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 am 

[quote="ripman8"]I have the yamaha mg124cx. How do I send the signal from compuhost to the mixer so it records my song. I already have auto record on, I saved the recording to my external hard drive. When I try to call it up on my filler tunes, there is no song. Do I physically need to link the two other than by the soundcard 1/8( laptop) 1/4 dual (mixer)?[/quote]

I have been fighting this issue for the longest time. I have a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB mixer and want to record using Compuhost as well. I forget what I did to get this feature working as the setup I had before was with a computer with an internal sound card and the Behringer 1204USB. Now I only have a laptop and mixer and it is not working for me.

I record using CH but don't get any recorded audio when playing back the recorded audio file. Were you able to get your configuration working?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm 

Well after fighting with this mixer and CH I had to resort to the only way I know possible to get a recording out this setup.

If it helps anyone else this is what happened to me. I have a Win10 laptop and suddenly had no mic input showing up on the CH recording settings. It turned out that I had a windows update and as a result disable my mic to work on any other programs. When I changed the setting to allow I now saw the mic input in CH so that was the first issue.

The second issue was on my mixer itself. I was under the impression that the USB mixer I have was able to do bi-directional recording and playback but I don't think that is possible. So I thought that I would take the output to the Ctrl-room out or the Tape-out and run that into another usb sound card and be done but for some reason I still don't think I had the correct button combination pushed with regards to the tx to usb, usb to mains, ctrl-room...crazy crazy crazy...on the mixer and gave up on that.

What I ended up doing which I don't think is correct but is working like a champ is to split the Mains output on my mixer and send one to my amp outputs to the speakers and the other input to the input of the external usb sound card and now I am able to record in Compuhost.

So if any of you can decipher what this all means would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:40 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Just be careful if you have a newer laptop. Some manufacturers are starting to combine the audio jack and the microphone jack in to one port, which makes the initial solution posted impossible.