KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Home receiver is powerful enough for home karaoke? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I own a Pioneer VSX-D811S Dolby Digital A/V Receiver. I went to a karaoke equipment dealer for a Karaoke mixer and the guy said that I should buy a karaoke mixer with amp because my receiver might not be able to pull for live singing. Can someone advise me on this? I don't intend to bring the system to a night club, it's only for home use.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Lucas

PS. I'm pasting some basic info of my receiver here for your convenience:

. 600 watts of total system power (100 x 6, 1kHz, 1.0% THD @ 8 ohms)
. Dedicated subwoofer output for the addition of a powered sub for amazing audio impact from special effects and bass notes
. 6.1-channel Dolby Digital-EX and DTS-ES processing adds a rear-center channel for more realistic surround sound than ever before
. Dolby Pro Logic II takes stereo sources (music CDs and VHS tapes, for example) and turns them into a surround sound experience reminiscent of DVD-Audio or SACD
. 7.1-channel analog inputs provide connectivity for DVD-Audio and SACD players, and outboard signal processors (for future formats)
5 digital inputs (3 optical, 2 coaxial) and 2 digital outputs (1 coaxial, 1 optical) provide premium connectivity with a wide variety of audio components
. 4 audio and 4 A/V inputs with S-video (provide connectivity for analog components like VCRs, cassette players and turntables)
Wideband component video switching (2 inputs, 1 output) can handle high-resolution video sources like progressive-scan DVD players, HD set-top boxes and DIRECTV boxes
. 5 advanced surround modes for customizing the sound of music and movies, plus Midnight Mode for surround sound without waking up the neighbors
. Digital AM/FM tuner with 30 presets
. Heavy-duty 5-way binding posts for a superior connection to your speakers
. Preprogrammed universal remote

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:20 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

For home karaoke it'd probably work ok. I know a person who uses one and doesn't have any problem. The big difference is that with a regular karaoke mixer/amp you can control more than you can with a home system rcvr/amp. You may be able to control treble & bass, but that's probably about it. With a regular mixer amp you can control much more, as well as adjust the mic and music independant of each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Your speakers might be another issue though, if you plan on using your home theater speakers you may want to reconsider.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:13 pm 

I plan to use a pair of Bose 601.

The receiver has the power of 600W. I don't see myself ever use that much power in a small living room

Thanks,
Lucas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:36 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Just be careful. Live vocals can & have harmed home stereo speakers simply for the fact that they aren't designed for live vocals. They incorporate entirely different type of components that are great for music playback & movies, but karaoke is semi-live so the speakers may sound like you need to change eq settings higher (especially for the high frequencies if you are running a mic through the player). I've seen many people blow their tweeters & oftentimes the woofer with home karaoke players.
If you run an external mixer for your mics & player, this would be better since you can control the eq'ing from the mixer, but you still need to be careful.
Also, you won't be running your karaoke through the surround sound (or maybe you will) & this will only yield you 100 watts per channel (x2 in stereo mode), but in a living room that will be fine.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was thinkin' the same thing as the almighty Lonman.

Dem little tiny 5 inch woofers do an awful lot of exploding during renditions of "Walk this way".

In fact I'm gettin' all excited thinkin'about blowing some up.

High temperature voice coils may be the word of the wise.