KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Contest Judging- love the new idea!! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I know we all LOVE contests here, especially since they are always fair and balanced, right?

OK- YOU CAN STOP GAGGING NOW!

Seriously, I think most of us like the idea of a contest, but hate the judging by APPLAUSE, bartenders, and bar owners. I was just reading the rules of the Karaokefest competition, and think they may be on to something. Have each contestant pick the top 3 singers, and they CANNOT vote for themselves. No more stacked audiences. No more promises of big tips to bartenders. No more "I pay you to work here, and Jimmy said he wanted to get in, so make sure he does."

Of course we know those things never happen!

I guess I'm either still asleep, or out of it, but I can't find fault with this system off the top of my head. Please let me know what you guys think.

Could the good folks here at KScene have really stumbled onto something that good?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:35 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I agree in principle that contests can be fair, but only if each and every song is judged by an IDENTICAL panel of impartial judges who base their judging on a rigorous judging criteria applied to each and every song and are also completely unbiased (i.e. have nothing at stake such as the other contestants or even the bartender who would benefit from a popularity contest). Further, competition songs should be broken down by category and judged within the category so that each song would have an equal chance of winning. To give you an example: if someone were to sing something immensely popular and did a good job versus someone who sang an obscure song but did an outstanding job, who do you think the crowd and judges would go for (let's be honest)? This is the pattern that I have observed at almost every contest I've seen (including, alas, Karaokefest).

Didn't mean to give you a full disertation, but just had to contribute my $.02 worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:41 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I forgot to add that the way Karaokefest is judged is better than most, however, it still boils down to basically a popularity contest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The fault with a system like this is that you assume all contestants will cast a vote for the BEST singer right? What happens to the one singer who knows they been beaten by contestant "B" so they cast a vote for everyone else but "B" hoping to rob them of the one needed vote to win..... The only way for contest to be fair is not to have one :P
No really --FAIR IMPARTIAL JUDGES FOLLOWING THE SAME RULES AND SCALE OF JUDING USING THE SAME POINT SYSTEM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I fully agree with Jam, & Singing Fool

PLUS it's also A Regional Competition.. "YOU have to live and Qualify in SO. CAL in order to Compete and be eligible to be in the finals" As I have understood the rules..

If I am wrong I wish the Admin to Please clarify..

PLUS....
It would be real nice of them if they would open up the competition to a national level group of singers because it could be a good thing for them. As an opportunity to Network with thier KJ's & Singers, & Manufacturers & Retailers. in a Show Atmosphere. (ala namm/Competition)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Been Liked: 4 times
You do not have to live in Southern California to be eligible for the "Creme de la Creme" singing competition in connection with this year's KaraokeFest. However, you must qualify at one of the 22 participating venues that are located in Southern California. Logistically, it would be difficult...but not impossible.

Karaoke Scene has been looking into ways to expand this competition for future "Fests." Your ideas are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have Suggested this before.. but an "OPEN" Advance Registration Competition Stage(s) that is Not open to So Cal. qualifiers. or those who attempted to qualify in the clubs. But the Public at large nationally but not "walk-up Singers" by mail in registration or online by a secure form of payment. with a time restricted performance. and resonable set of pre-set guidelines for a tasteful performance. and judging standard. and resonable prizes that can be guarenteed.

Then if you want to do a "Best of the best" take your top 15 from
each and go from there..

I believe that would go over quite well in one central location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:46 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Contests will be the death of Karaoke. Along with UNDERCUTTERS and ILLEGAL DISCS.................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:41 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
metalgod wrote:
Contests will be the death of Karaoke...............

Contests in karaoke have been around since karaoke hit the states. I seriously doubt that it will kill karaoke. Enough people still enjoy contests & clubs still like to have them. My club likes contests & runs them often. They always pack the place. We are starting a new one in a few days.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I think fair contests are good for the karaoke industry, But they have to have impartial judges and decent prizes. Just look at the success of American Idol...everyone wants to a star ...Karaoke allows most to SHINE in a contest or at their regular weekly show......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
metalgod wrote:
... and ILLEGAL DISCS.................

Man, I sure hope you learn a new spiel soon, cause this tirade's gettin' old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jam.. exactly 8)

Even 6 more mins. of fame is better than the original 15 minutes. :wink:

Now who wouldn't wanna stretch that number?