KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - newbie looking for suggestions Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:53 am 
I am a working KJ and want to start out on my own. I have a connection at my local guitar center and can get most of the equipment I need at cost plus 5%. Given this situation what would you suggest to get started?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:31 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
What does whoever you KJ for now use? Is it good? Do ya like it? Go out and attend some other shows in your area and see what people are using. Discuss it with them, what they like and don't like. The other thing is to take a look at what type venues are you planning on working in? If you're only going to do small private clubs, that's one thing. But if you're going to do wedding receptions in large ballrooms, that's another. Take whatever you immaging as being the biggest thing you'd ever do, then go a step up from there. The other recommendation is that if you have that kind of an in (cost plus 5%) make sure you stick with good quality. With an arrangement like that you can buy the good stuff at some pretty good prices.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kevdaddy:

2 Yamaha S115IV Speakers - (great deal at guitar center)
Mackie DFX12 MIXER - GOOD DEAL ALSO
JVC TRIPLE TRAY PLAYER
AMP... Peavey PV1500 (300w x2 @8ohms) ...$380.00
Crown CE1000 (280w x 2 @8ohms) $450
Mics = SHURE PG58 (@$50EA) OR SHURE SM58 (@$100 EA)
COUPLE OF STANDS / CABLES / CASES /
THIS IS A DECENT SETUP UNLESS YOU WANT BIGGER
Your connection shoudl be able to do better on these prices :shock:
YOU'RE ALL SET :D

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:02 am 
Thanx for the input so far... I neglected to mention that I have a decent library of discs (about 700 soundchoice, dk 1-99 and pop hits monthly since 1995) so I dont have to worry about spending any money on songs for the moment. I would like to be set-up for small gigs but with alot of room to grow bigger...[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 am 
Thanx for the input so far... I neglected to mention that I have a decent library of discs (about 700 soundchoice, dk 1-99 and pop hits monthly since 1995) so I dont have to worry about spending any money on songs for the moment. I would like to be set-up for small gigs but with alot of room to grow bigger...[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:03 am 
Thanx for the input so far... I neglected to mention that I have a decent library of discs (about 700 soundchoice, dk 1-99 and pop hits monthly since 1995) so I dont have to worry about spending any money on songs for the moment. I would like to be set-up for small gigs but with alot of room to grow bigger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:58 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
It really depends on your budget & how "quality" you want to go. Do you want to just get by, or do you want top of the line stuff? Do you want a
basic setup that can sit on a table or do you you like components (components tend to sound better & are more versatile if something goes out).
Like mentioned, do you like the system you are on now or does it suck?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Since you are an experienced KJ and have a vast library (700 discs seems like a lot to me), I wouldn't see why you would invest in any less than a very decent system. Your hardware cost should still come in below a music investment of this size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:55 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Deffinately buy quality equipment, do not jeopardize a good start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

And dont undercut or use illegal discs. DUHHHHHHHHH!!!

Post subject: THANX
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:09 pm 
Thanks for all your input so far... So far I am up to 2700 but still need a powered sub (maybe)... Ok heres the basic list 2 jvc single drawer players (forget model number) mackie dfx6 mixer, 3 sm58 mics,2 yamaha 15" speakers (250 watts/500 peak),2 speaker stands,akg wireless snap on system to accept xlr mic,crown ce 2000 amp, dbx 32 band eq,mic stands, cords.... may add trees, lights, fog and bubbles too...
Sounds cheesy but some people just love the bubbles. Anyone here using the api rack mount player? I would like to rack mount all possible components... Did I forget anything??? I was hoping to come in under $4000 total and still get all I can to have a great show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:04 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
CAREFUL with the bubbles. Remember this is water & soap. If the bubbles land anywhere that people can walk & slip, you may find yourself & get the bar involved in a lawsuit with a patron.

Just a word of caution.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:54 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Agree on the risk with bubbles. For the bars, I wouldn't use them and really haven't found a need for them as well.

I will use them once in a while at a wedding if the B&G want them, and only if the banquet allows it (most don't). Even then, they are best used very sparingly - wedding dance, daddy/daughter - special wedding "events". Most of the use I come across are family events with lots of kids - reunions, birthdays, and then only with care.

We've had discussions on fog too. Similar to bubbles. I have used one once in awhile for weddings. The last time was during intros to "Born to Be Wild" (karaoke version/no vocal) - it was a biker wedding worked out great. For bar venues, I don't generally use. My Tues gig has a large stage with a nice DMX lighting system with an overhead fogger and I have used that once in a while. Looks good but need to be conservative with it. A hazer would be better, but they are pricier - not worth it to me given the low usage.

Post subject: Ok no bubbles!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:13 pm 
I have used bubbles for years at the bar I work at and have never had a problem.... But I think Ill err on the side of safety since its my (@$%&#!) at stake now- People request them all the time though... I can caompromise and only use them outdoors :-) I almost had an accident when the fog machines heating element went out and it just squirted out this super-slick oil and had to be mopped up.