KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Any Opinions about Mackie SRM450s Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:33 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Does anyone have any experience with the Mackie powered speakers? I was curious if they actually live up to the expectations that Mackie claims on their website. In particular, I am considering the SRM450 speakers. And while we are taliking about Mackie. what do you gain in karaoke when you upgrade from a DFX12 to a CFX12. Is this overkill?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:26 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
SRM450 is a very nice sounding speaker. Very crisp, clean, not muddy. It doesn't have a very deep bass, but is nice & tight - near to an audiophile sound. Will work very well in small to medium sized rooms - with medium to large or outdoor shows, you may consider adding the matching powered sub - that's something i'd say with any speaker (not just these) in those situations.

Going from DFX to CFX isn't overkill IMO. I run the CFX12 in my main set-up & actually could use 4 more channels - oh well. Main advantages are the sweepable mid control for all the mic channels. The stereo channels have a 4 band eq over a 2 band on all the channels. These alone are worth the upgrade for tonal control alone. It has the same built in effects, but you can also add a separate external effects so you can run say a delay on the external & a reverb on the internal. The eq is a little bigger - 9 bands over 5 bands for slightly more tonal control - would still recommend an external 31 band & the built in just for a small, general boost/cut when needed. You can have 2 separate monitor mixes if needed. It also has a built in subwoofer crossover so when you need to add a sub, you wouldn't HAVE to get an external crossover to make it function properly.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:04 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The Mackie SRM450's are great. I used them when I was with Centerstage Entertainment andjust purchased a set for my show. They have a nice clean sound and are easy to setup and use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:00 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Where do you play Dark>? I'm basically down the street from you citywise.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
One thing to be wary of with the 450s. The dealer we get most of our equipment had told us that in the last year he has received 3 units in which the cabinets were cracked in transit. He also stated that the units have an achilles heel at the bottom back. That if it is dropped even from a low height and lands on that spot the cabinet will crack.

Post subject: mackey 450
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:37 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

stevie .i just bought some 450 s 3 weeka ago had my first kj job last weekend. every one said they were the best karaoke sounding speakers they ever heard. they have other people set up there and said my system sounded better than any other system. i also have a 14 vailadine sub woffer a couple of dj were there . when i was setting up .and they said these 2 l;ittle speaker will probley sonund like a box. they came over to see what they were said they could not belive how great they sound . i was hired back right away .the owner said everone sounded like a real singer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:39 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks to all for the replies. I guess I will be adding a pair to my wish list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Never too early - Christmas is just around the corner, soon as we get the taxes paid. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:05 am 
We co-oped. with another audio company that had some 450's and actually used them for a movie audition as stage monitors with out graphic EQ's it was one the scariest nights I have ever had as an audio engineer.. I honestly can say I was nervous.. to have 250+ Elvis Impersonators on stage doing Elvis songs..and being video taped.
needless to say the monitors were extremely loud and only fed-back once.
And we only used one, for a 16'X16' stage.

I to this day still get comments from the local singers about those monitors. and usually I don't use powered speakers as monitors..
It just seemed to work.