KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - THURSDAYS..MUST SEE TV? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: THURSDAYS..MUST SEE TV?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Got some bad news this morning :( My Thursday gig canceled me due to lack of business :( :( When I approached the manager about a Thursday gig it was always with the understaning that if it didn't PICK UP it wouldn't last. I also host a Saturday show at the same place and it is pretty steady so I'm sure that day is OK :D :D .... Problem for the Thursday show I think was just a terrible winter so far (Here in NJ ) but also I think (KNOW) the resaon the bar isn't ringing in more $$$$$ is that the barteneder GIVES most of the drinks away to her friends that come in and I really can't say anything (cause of Saturday) ..But good news is I called my LAST Thursday show and THEY WANT ME BACK :P :shock: :D So when one door closes another one opens
HOW ARE YOU SEEING YOUR MIDWEEK SHOWS THIS SEASON?
OR IF YOU'RE A SINGER ARE YOU GOING OUT DURING THE WEEK AS MUCH AS YOU USE TO ????

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:13 pm 
Jam

I have your same Mid-week Problem.. My Monthly deal just ended.. due to a new club Promotion.. (Arizona Club Idol-II) where they watch the show AI-2 then and Arizona locals get up and do showcasing to thier own produced tracks and get judged in a series similar to "AI-2" and the Studio Producers and several professional musicians critique them.. in the groups of 3 judges just like "AI" the performers are mostly College students. and it boils down to 2 finalists.. til school lets out. the rules are different no themes and they can do what ever originals they want.. they gotta play original music though. I have seen a home video if about 15 minutes of this first club version.. and it's scary... NOT MADE FOR TV!!! :shock:

but I still have the better weekend gigs.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I think business is generally down at most venues in this area during the week. There are exceptions for sure, but overall, it's noticeably down from what I hear from owners, bartenders, patrons and KJs in my rounds. My sense is that many people just can't spend the amount of money they have in the past on bar nights and are not venturing out as much - I hear this one frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:00 pm 
Marty,
With the loss of my Wed.'s gig's that oulls me out of the trade shows for Feb. Because now I am forced to go do some marketing on new shows..

90-95% of the time the tables are turned...usually the corporate shows and clubs have been coming to me.. so this is gonna be quite an adventure..

With the vast networking Resources that I have.. I don't see a problem continuing. 8)

"when life tosses ya lemons .. ya buy bottles of water and make lemonade.."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:43 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I do a show every Wed here in Albuquerque with another KJ. Its been fine lately. Mid week you end up having your ups and downs, but lately we've had 18-22 singers, and last Wed we had about 27. So its just kinda hit and miss. That's just about all that place can handle. Also, its a semi-private club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

If I do go out on a 'school night', it's usually Thursday night...I work from home on Friday's, so I can literally roll out of bed at 8:55am and get to work on time... :lol:

I think that's the issue with weeknight shows. I'd go almost every night if they started at a time sensitive to all us 9-to-5'ers. Perhaps that can be your angle...find a place willing to host karaoke night for the happy hour crowd.