KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Choosing a contest song Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Choosing a contest song
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:10 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi there! Haven't been here for a while (just lurking, really).

I'd like to get views from both singers and KJ's alike who've run, judged and participated in karaoke contests.

I know the first and foremost thing is to choose a great song. Not too long, not too slow and still showcases talent and gets the audience entrenched.

I'm in a local contest and the finals for the bar in particular are coming up. I'm an alto that can hit a high B-flat on a good day. There don't seem to be enough dynamic songs out there that can really, really showcase an alto voice that seem to be suitable for a contest. Please, someone prove me wrong!

The song I've chosen is Aretha Franklin's 'Think'. Yes, it's at the higher end of my range and I can pull it off nicely (most days). I get into it. The audience gets into it. And I've never sang it at the contest venue, which I think is important. It'll be fresh.

What I need is a good backup song in case my upper range isn't so hot while I warm-up (but then again, if I warm up properly, I should be fine) -OR- some sneak takes my song before me! No country. I do like singing R&B/Motown stuff, since it seems to go over well no matter where ya go.

And I know it just isn't the song that makes the karaoke performance solid. The contest itself is being determined mostly by the audience (I've got lots of friends lined up to attend that night).

Thanks in advance for your input!!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:10 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Hard to recommend one without hearing you or knowing the venue/atmosphere/clientel/competition...

I did see somebody bring down the house recently with "Last Dance" by Donna Summer - disco, I know, but she smoked it and people went absolutely nuts (many got up and danced to it as well).

Good luck and have fun (and wear something flashy!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:03 pm 
Smiles..
If it feels good.. and you can do it.. I believe the Aretha song is fine.. if it represents "You" and you can find a version that fits you just right.. then do it. It really don't matter what the judges really "Think" is how well you feel doing it when you are done.. If you gave your very best performance. You did great.. Don't be fooled. :wink:

Well Rehearsed in a competition is only 1/2 done. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:55 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Just a thought from just a singer who was only in one competition.

How about "Believe - Cher". It's got a similar feel to Aretha's "Think" and I don't think (no pun intended) that it would strech you as high. Aretha is a coloratura. I admire you for being able to sing in that range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:58 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Great suggestions so far, thanks!

And yes Marty3...I WILL be wearing something flashy...well, at least something along the sexy and sophisticated lines...red and off the shoulder!

The audience tends to not like country or super-slow stuff. Lots of 80's rock going on (I've considered doing Don't Cry by Guns and Roses). 'Oldies' seem to go over well, too. Some new stuff is done periodically...they seem to like my rendition of Bring Me to Life by Evanascence. Stuff like Pat Benetar is OVERDONE there. I'm sure Cher and some upbeat disco would go over well, too.

They've got a pretty decent songbook, too.

I've just set up my home system to simply record by tape, so I'm going to test out a mix of genres tonight. My voice teacher is on maternity leave, so I have to now play a dual role... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:23 pm 
Smiles..
Just one footnote.. most competition judging is quite subjective.. and I stress the word "Most" alot of it is based on whom the judges likes that day, hour, or minute.. and alot of them tend to become "Biased". I have been too competitions where I knew I didn't have a "Snowballs chance".
and I have been to others where I simply just wasn't even on the Judging sheet, but competed. and one I Traveled 1,300 miles and paid to compete.. Not Showcase!!! and was called Too good to qualify!!! and the "Professionals" were Invited!!! :shock: So please make sure before you go to get the rules in writing! and make sure the competition is very legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:12 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks for the heads up! This is a legit contest. This company does it every year...12 weeks to qualify at one of the bars where they do their shows, the semi-finals (which determines the winner of the bar...which is that stage I'm at) then the finals with all the bar winners.

I'm going in thinking I'm not going to win. I have been disappointed before. The judging for this is suppose to be audience-based, but I have my doubts about that. I'm simply going to have fun and entertain everyone. If I win, great. If not, oh well. I was happy to simply qualify...lets me know my singing lessons are paying off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:05 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That's a good attitude to have. I don't really like competitions, unless they're run professionally. The problem I have with audience based judging is most people in the audience don't really know what to look for when judging. The major factor that enters in is that if you have one performer who brings in a large contingent of friends who go wild for him/her, they get great marks based on audience reaction. That should only be a very small part of the final score. It should be based on a lot of other factors, such as stage presence, difficulty, vocal range, presentation quality, etc. Just one person's opinion :? :lol: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:39 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The contest I'm in is tonight...and I'm getting nervous, although I said I was going in knowing I possibly won't win.

Besides carefully choosing and practicing my song, I've taken care of wardrobe. My husband's jaw dropped when I tried on my sleek and sassy outfit and said, 'well, that'll get ya some points'.

I'm also taking good care of my throat today and warming up very, very well before I leave for the venue.

I have some backup songs picked out with the help of my friends who watch and hear me all the time. One of them happens to be Irene Cara's 'Fame'...although I personally think it might be a little too campy. It does get the audience involved, though. I didn't have time to practice Last Dance or Believe as you guys have kindly suggested...those are great songs, too!

Any other tips for tonight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:35 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Best of luck to you Smiles..I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine who enters alot of contests and in fact he was in the finals at the Queen Mary for Karaokescene's Karaokefest last year. He said he goes into contests to hear the best that karaoke offers and to learn from the best. He does not concentrate on the winning/losing prospect but the pure enjoyment of the "sport"..He said in his mind, he competes with himself only. I think that is sound advice as I have found that state of mind affects performance more than anything else :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:04 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks! That's a great perspective. By nature, I'm a competitive creature. I think this mindset will help me a great deal to relax, perform my best and have fun! That's what it's all about, right?

I *Think* that's why I chose the song I did...it may stretch me vocally (and I may fall flat on a few of the high notes sometimes), but my friends and everyone I've ever done this for thoroughly gets into it and enjoys it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:38 pm 
Smiles,
don't be "TOO" serious about competitions.. tonight.. just sing to have fun.. this was my big downfall .. remember that the key premise of karaoke singing it so have fun and to relax.. the nerves do come out and judges do pick up on it real fast.. so put it in the back corner of your mind and sing it like it's a regular night.. I get nervous just talking about it.. I wish I could be there to watch.. Smiles.. I wish you all the best .. please let us know how ya do ok? 8)

Karaoke Competitions aren't like appearing on "American Idol".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:16 pm 

:D
I wish you the BESTTTTT 43.

H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:34 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Aw, thanks everyone!

Well, I didn't win, but I didn't lose either. Like everyone has said...politics and blind popularity.

Because it was a school night, not many of my friends were able to make it, and that's ok. The ones that were there cheered very loudly for me.

We sang 2 songs...I did GnR's Don't Cry first and totally smoked it...for the first time, I held that last note for it's duration. Then I did Think, and I hit it note-for-note. Out of everyone, even the winner, I got the best post-song applause.

I actually came in 3rd. The guy who won brought both a voice and people. The politics came in when he arrived very late and the KJ held out for him because he was the drummer in his band. What can one do?

The girl who came in second. Well, simply said...she brought people.

I'm totally proud of my performance. I entertained EVERYONE. The applause I got was reflective solely of my performances rather than popularity. The fact I got so much applause with only 4 friends there made me feel like it was worth it.

I had people come up to me afterwards telling me I was robbed. Our waitress even bought me a drink.

Thank you everyone here for your support! You really helped me out by putting me in a good mindset. The usual competetive me would have been steamed, but not now...I can carry my head high!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:54 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Congrat's Smiles! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Congrats :wink: Ya done good. With contests like that, if you're happy with what ya did, you're fine. Keep it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:01 pm 
Smiles...

What can I say.. in an "honest" competition with a "fair" and unbiased judging system.. you'd probably be advancing..

I'm very proud of ya.. if you have a chance.. knowing what you know .. I'd keep on competing. as long as you are having fun doing it. :swg:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Here's an interesting addition to this topic- at least from a karaoke perspective. They are having an 'American Idol' like competition here called "gimme the Mic", and to audition, you need to do it acapella. I am accustomed to having music, and not memorizing words. Also, my songs tend to be like 80's music and todays 'soft' rock.

Any suggestions from the 'experts' on how to prep in a hurry, and/or what to do. I have to submit 4 songs, and they pick 1 and I pick 1.

So far I am considering:
Brown Eyed Girl
2 out of 3 aint bad
Something to believe in OR Every rose has it's thorn
?????(at a loss for a 4th)

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:49 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I agree that competitions are political. I don't mind losing to someone who has a reasonable talent. I have been in several competitions where I have placed higher or lower in the type of music the audience is used to hearing. Never try to win at a country bar singing funk. :?

My two worst experiences were one where the bar owner's peice on the side was picked by the judges because the owner obviously influenced the judges brought in by the karaoke company to be independent. It was so bad the radio station that was promoting the contect and the KJ on site both quit. I was a finalist. :roll:

The second was more of a casual contect at a local pub many years ago and the judges were regular patrons. I made the finals and came in third. Of the four people in the final three of us could sing. The girl who won couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but she did have the largest endowments (you figure it out!) :wink: of any of the competitors and she was providing certain fringe benefits to one of the judges (behind his wife's back). :shock:

I look at these now as being a good learning experience and a way to measure yourself against others to get an idea if you are at least hitting the right notes. I consider myself a good singer, there are many better and many worse. I know I am always good competition and encourage others to sing in any contest. These kinds of contests are kind of like going to Vegas. You put the time and money in going to have fun and if you place or win then that's a bonus. :)

So congrats Smiles, keep singing. I too love the R&B and the Blues. :lol:

Karaoke is the only social disease that you can get in public and not get arrested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:51 pm 
Terry..
Why an I not suprized. :x :shock: :argue: :puke: