KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - KJ Pro Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
icenine,
fi you have the foundations you have a good enough collection to start. You Dont have to start out on top, but you do have to start. Procrastination may cost you a chance at a gig you really want.

I started a Local club here that had never had Karaoke before. And their Saturday nights were dead. Heck Before us, they were closing at 9:00pm.

The first three weeks were almost dead, and the owner was about ready to pull the plug. BUt on the 4th week, a local Big Karaoke bar closed for the weekend. Big Mistake for him........ We had 35 to 40 of his patrons come in, and now we are hosting for about 150 . Needless the bar owner is thinking about trying it another night also. Even If you have to start small. Start!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:26 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I hear ya, Dr. I DO have to start! :) I have set the date with the bar owner at March 13th. I am pretty excited (and more than a bit nervous :shock: ).

I have around 4000 songs right now (Sound Choice, Chartbuster, Priddis, Supercore, Top Hits Monthly) and I plan on being around 5000 by my first gig. I am going to try and get the lastest stuff from THM or PHM and then make my first book.

One problem I have is that I haven't spoken $$ with the bar owner, yet. This guy has always been fair to me (my band has played there for 4 or 5 years), so I don't think it will be a problem. But a local host told me that the going rate is $150. I was hoping to make more (who isn't, right?! :) ) and I need to show the owner why I am worth it.

For one, I have many years experience as a singer/frontman/MC in a cover band. Most of the karaoke's around my neck of the woods are pretty much "Let's bring Bill up....How 'bout a hand for Bill." I plan on putting on more of a show (not to the extent that I will take the spotlight off of my singers, of course!).

I guess I am rambling :lol: ...I'll let you know how I make out! Take care.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Patrick, 50.00 an hour is a pretty nice rate, Work from there.

I have had some success offering an introductory rate for 4 weeks to get a show rolling. a 25 percent discount is a nice number as long as you make it crystal clear to the owner that you will want your full price after 4 weeks.

Also, some venues might require newspaper advertising, Discuss this well in advance of your first show date with the owner.

Hey, Maybe you and the owner just might build a winning show, Good luck!! BJC

Post subject: kj pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:05 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

KJ Pro is one of the easiest programs I have used. I like it because it allows me to export everything to Excell. MUCH better than Musicbook deluxe!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:44 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks BJC,

I think you are right on the $50/hr. That seem like a reasonable starting point. I was planning on designing an ad and seeing if the owner and I could split the cost. I am really hoping that the we can build a nice Saturday night show! Thanks! :D

I agree Outlaw. KJ Pro is easy to use and I LOVE that you can export it. That gives you a lot of flexibility beyond KJ Pro! Thanks for the input! :)

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Patrick, Thats a great idea. I started a new Saturday gig recently. Its in an offbeat area of the town. I made the same offer to the owner. A 1/4 page add in a local popular bar paper is 175.00 . I offered to go 50/50 on the add price with her.

Turns out she hooked up with Budweiser as a sponsor for their events at her bar. They paid for a full page add starting in march which will list the events including Karaoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey Guys, I did the same thing with a club once, where we split an ad as it was advertising both their veterans club as well as by karaoke. It was in a base newspaper, but same principle.

One question for Patrick and Big Jimmy; If ya sing karaoke in Boston or New York, do ya still have to sing with that accent :!: :P :twisted: :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

:D Actually, Ron, you don't! It's like when Mel Tillis doesn't sturrer when he sings! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

er, stutter... :lol: Now I'm stuttering!!