KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Got $1600 to buy a karaoke system, please comment Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:24 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Dear all,
My friend gave me 1600 to get him a karaoke system from scratch. Being a home theater guy myself, i tried my best but want to get your opinion as well. The karaoke will be mainly from dvd. The system needs only be decent cause my friends don't have much of a sense in sound.

Here is what i got him so far

DVD player: Sony megachanger 400 disc 985V ($360)
Receiver: Yamaha 5650 480 watts total power; 80 watts RMS x 6
(440)
Speakers package: $399 from acekaraoke.com (http://www.acekaraoke.com/hvcpspp312.html)

System includes:

• 1 Pair of SV-300 Karaoke Vocal Speakers
• 1 SUB-1200 Powered Subwoofer
• 1 Pair of SS-88 Speaker Stands
• 2 9ft MDP to MDP (banana plug) Speaker Cables (GMC-301)
• 1 RCA to RCA Cable

Those are $1200 so far, I have 400 left to get a mixer and a pair of wireless mic.

For the mics, I will get a pair of AT 200 from radioshack for $99 each. I want to know what basic mixer i can get that has fx effects for karaoke. I'm looking at behringer 1622 pro mixer for 179 at musiciansfriend.com

Please help. I need to get this system done by next week. thanks

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:17 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I wouldn't have got the Yamaha reciever but rather a plain power amp. The receiver isn't designed for live vocals.
Mixer, look into the Mackie DFX series, better quality & warranty than the Behringer . If you are going to spend $100 each on mics, go with the Shure SM58. Same price & sound great & durable as hell.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:09 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

thanks loneman....your input is taken. As for the receiver, i can always return it at bestbuy and get another one....can you check if they have any receiver there that good for karaoke? it should be 399 and lelss. how about onkyo or HK receiver.

if i got a powered amp only, what is my option is expanding it later, say like watch dvd or something?
i think i will go with the mackie dfx12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:39 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks to both of you, I won't need to start another string. Very recently I was at one of my regular singing joints. I was not aware that the KJ had been fired (or quit, you know how that goes). The owner of the club asked if I knew another KJ he could get. I heard myself saying "Ya, Me". Next thing I know I was hired. I don't have a commercial system. I told the owner I could be up and running in 4-6 weeks. Got plenty of start-up disks in my private cllection but will need to fill a few gaps.

I've set aside $2,000 bucks for the system. I wanna go with wireless mics and a wired backup. It would be good if I could have both ready to give the customers a choice. The club is an open square shape with fairly bright accoustics. The owner didn't know what the measurements are. Capacity look's to be about 100 seats including the bar.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Norm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

PS to above. I'll be out of town for a week or so and don't know if I'll be able to check back during that time, so if there are no acknowledgements from me, you'll know why. :)

Norm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Andyng, Those AT 200 freeway wireless mics are single mic setups. They are all the same frequency, If you run 2 at a time in the same area you may have problems. Maybe you could go 1 Shure sm58 wired and one AT 200 wireless.

Any component sold at best buy is probably not good for a live mobile karaoke show.

Good luck, BJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:51 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

thanks jimmy,
i was thinking about my friend using the yamaha receiver for dvd watching, music listening, and sing karaoke at home. That's why i got that receiver...
what kind of power amp that i can replace it...can i get a cheap nady at musicianfriend.com ($180) for it.....how do i connect them if they want to watch dvd...if i use a power amp, them there is no way you can upgrade later to 5.1 sound system for movie.

what do you think about the mackie dfx6? how many cable i need to connect that mixer to the amp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:46 am 
Andy,
I said this many times to people on this board but maybe not this blunt..
I can't buy your things for you or run your shows for you, but i'm only going to tell you this once.. hopefully this sinks in.

You may not have alot of money to sink into microphones or your karaoke operation.

1) Don't buy garbage and pay the price with your reputation in the form of being labeled as having a "Poor sounding" show.

2) It's better to have good wired mics than to have low quality wireless ones that cut out or sound bad.

3) A smooth running show is better than "No Show" at all, because of you lost the singers to someone who has a better sound than you.

I hope those examples sink in.

I'm not trying to deter you from being in the business .. I'm trying to get you to understand how important it is to have your "ducks" all in the same pond before you go sending the dog to retrieve them.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Brian, he's running it from home... so there's no sense in being so expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:34 pm 
Matt
It sounds like a "Karaoke Box" to me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Yamaha Powered Mixer EMX62M $300.00
Yamaha Series IV 12" Speakers $460.00 Pair
2 Sure Pg58 Wired Mics ...... $100.00 Pair
RSQ DVD505 Player $240.00

Total System $1100.00

$500 left over for mic upgrades,stands,music or BEER

Andy .. If ts for home use or occasional party type settings I would suggest a powered mixer ALL IN ONE (AMP/MIXER/EFFECTS/EQ)
so to speak MAckie or Carvin or Peavy offer similiar mixers , Speakers 12" should be fine for these situations if you need more OOMPH upgrade to 15" speakers. Better mics SureSM58 can be bought for $100 ea .

Good Luck