KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need help/advice completing system Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:38 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I want to start a Karaoke business, only playing in small clubs/halls. I have The following equipment:

JVC MV303 Triple Play
Mackie DFX12 mixer
SM-58 Mic (2)
Speaker Stands (2)
Monitor stand
Monitor
1500 songs

What do I need to finish my setup? I have a budget of $1200 to complete what I will need to start playing in clubs. Right now I run the above equipment using 2 Radio Shack Optimus speakers and a cheap Pioneer Stereo Amp. All suggestions will be welcomed.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:18 pm 
Different amp Different speakers, all pro grade. and multi-effects and a comp/gate/limiter.. all that will definately cost more than $1,200.00 unless you can get it used..

home gear doesn't make it in the clubs today.. it's gotta have the headroom.. $1,200.00 may get you a pair of powered speakers used.. MAY get you..

Good luck. on your search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:24 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I would probably focus on getting a good power amp & speakers. The stereo amp & speakers you are using now aren't designed for live use (which karaoke is partly). The DFX mixer is decent & has built in effects. I would personally run an outboard eq (31 band), but not necesary to get going.
Look into the Yamaha S115IV Club Series. These actually sound pretty decent & will fit your budget & $230 each.
Amp possibility look at the QSC RMX1450 at $400.
Total $860 so far.
Then you may consider road cases for your equipment, not only does it help protect it all, it makes you look a little more professional.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:07 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Definitely get new speakers first thing. I bought a pair of those Optimus speakers when I first started and now they sit in storage. The worst thing about them is the cheap piezo tweeters they use. They sound O.K. for prerecorded music but when used for karaoke they sound like garbage, especially when you try to get more volume out of them. I have someone in my area that uses them and I won't even go to one of their shows anymore because it sounds so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:32 pm 
Kobey,
I just saw the NEW Cerwin Vegas today in a trade magazine.. I haven't heard them yet... but you need to check into them.. called the "vision" series Model # VIS-153, and will not hit the streets until Feburary or March, But they require about 700w rms continious passive and are flyable and have a range of 20khz - 35hz so they are loud and proud and in your face thumpin! according to Cerwin Vega. The suggested power amp for that pair of speakers is a QSC CX-1202 of course you can overkill it.. but I believe it will be plenty for that speaker and for just about any club you run. That should take your show to "Another Level"

I have been told that the audio quality has been compared to a Mid range (financially) Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) Speaker. so these don't take prisoners! and Probably will be nominated for a TEC award.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

You're trying to get me in trouble with my girlfriend aren't you Brian? I keep telling her that I am almost done buying equipment and may actually start making a profit soon and you have to tell me about new speakers.

Seriously though, I think I'll have to stick with my Mackies for a while. But I am thinking about upgrading the two Optimus. I figure if I replace everything in them they just might sound pretty good. That way I can buy the stuff one piece at a time and maybe sneak the purchases by her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:55 pm 
Kobey,
You may not be able to take these new speakers to bed with you..
BUT... With my Audio Business I haven't had any problems with my ex
Financially (nudge) and I can pretty much assure ya that your Girlfriend will eventually get over it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:47 pm 

I want to thank everyone that had input on what I should get to complete my equipment list. Now it's time to go practice..I've already got a few parties lined up.

Thanks!