KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Digital Outputs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Digital Outputs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:12 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi again,

I know karaoke decoders require the CD deck to have digital outputs, I noticed that one of the decks that was thinking of getting has the digital outs listed like this:

Digital output (S/PDIF)

What is S/PDIF? Will this affect the decoding?

Patrick

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:58 pm 
Pat.. s/pdif.. is used in recording applications.. it's costly.. and for starting out.. you don't need to worry about it for now.. .. if you want to use something really neat .. go "optical" still costly but fun.. stay with analog for now.. :wink: I'm using all the optical and T/dif and S/pdif stuff in my #1 system along with the analog conversions.. to go from A/D does it help.. yeah it's cleaner.. but personally it's a waste of money.. and a tax write off.. and more stuff to drag around. my studio is a/d 32/192 all the digital is optical, all the analog is silverwire, pc's is firewire, control surfaces are firewire.

All I can tell you is if you are on a budget starting out... analog will do then upgrade to the neat stuff.. I built my things up over time.. now I can do pretty much what I want on a whim. Within reason. :wink:

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I don't know if this is what you're interested in or not... but Karaoke.com has a great sale going on a jukebox that holds 200 cdgs. With the sale, comes a decoder, AND a free 190 song Priddis set!

it's currently HALF the retail price. I'm thinking about getting one of these myself!!
http://hydra.karaoke.com/itemdetail.las ... m=XLMC2000

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:52 pm 
I'd say Knight is on to something as a starter unit..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:27 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian, sounds like you have one hell of a system!! :shock: How many systems do you have?

I had though of going with a cd changer, Matt, but decided against it. I was also seriously considering a CAVS system with the hard drive, but I really want to go with a denon dual cd deck and a decoder.

Will any cd deck with a digital output work with a decoder?

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:50 pm 
Pat...
7 karaoke systems in my main karaoke company I just manage the company.. and do maybe 3-4 shows now a month with this new year.. with 1 system being a "personal system" that gets used as an "overflow/small live system".
I'm also a minor working investor in a medium sized regional audio touring audio company that has 15 units live.

4 systems are now capible of doing 50,000 seats and smaller I personally own one of those systems out right. (it went up for sale it was just listed in a trade with a broker this week..it was time to upgrade to another brand to be compatable with the other systems..)

I also Consult Dance Clubs and Karaoke clubs and KJ's on needs and
equipment durability issues on a one to one basis. and get this 81% of my shows made a profit this year.

I gained 22 one time clients. all did show a profit. my personal shows had a rough year, most of them in new clubs.
Also my personal recording studio took a big hit this year too. but that was due to expenses. and 3 moves.

I also sing live professionally.

Hope that helps ya. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:08 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

i don't think the Denon's will work with a decoder. You might need to get an older unit without the digital shock memory. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer or look in their lit and see what are listed as compatible players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:28 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Wow! Brian, you sound like a busy man! :shock: How do you find time to post on this forum?

Thanks for the advice, Marty. I will check with the manufacturer before I purchase...IF I go that way...

I am really torn on what configuration I should go with to start this business. About the only thing I'm sure of is that I am going to get a pair of JBL Eon G2 powered speakers.

I want to get a good quality system that will serve equally well as a DJ system and a Karaoke system.

About the only 2-tray deck that seems to serve my needs is the vocopro CDG8000. But does Vocopro make good equipment? Has anyone had any experience with this particular player?

At some point I need to pull the trigger on purchasing this system!

Thanks to all for the helping me get there! :)

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I feel the original powered eons are as good if not better sounding than the next gen G2's. You could probably get a real sweet deal right now if you look around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:57 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Ice, for DJ work, the vocopro seems to be quite stable. But for KJ work it's not. Scan around on this site, and others, and MANY people slam the vocopro...

One member here Tricia uses it, and loves it, but at the same time, she also tells us about all the horrible problems she's had with it.

A competitor (but still a friend) of mine uses it, and it looks like he runs with crappy burns. Spotty graphics, and for what he uses it with, I blow him away with my triple tray and my rsq505!!

You just have to KNOW how to use your equipment!