KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mixer and player/decoder Advice Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:01 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts in this forum for a few weeks now, and I know you guys know your stuff. Below are a few questions (of MANY to come, I am sure!) that I was hoping y'all could help me with:

What do you guys think of the VocoPro KJ7000-Pro mixer?

Originally, I was planning on getting a Mackie mixer because I come from a band background, and I wanted it to be versatile enough to use in live music applications. I changed my mind because KJ/DJ stuff is my main purpose and I wanted the vocal effects, the digital key changer, and the crossfader. I figured I would get a regular mixer later.

I was also torn between getting a VocoPro CDG8000 or getting a Denon Dual CD deck and a VocoPro DECODE G1.

Do you have an opinions on that?

Where is my best bet to shop online to get the absolute lowest prices?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:21 pm 
Sorry Pat I personally use on my personal system which is system #7
not #1 I have a Yahama MG 16/4 and 6 CD+G/DVD machines on the
rack.. 2 JVC cdg's 2 Pioneer lazer/cdg/dvd's & 2 Apex DVD's

I wish I could help ya in this one. I just don't see the voco pro's on my unit several KJ's here in New Mexico have seen alot of problems with the quality of thier equipment.. and too many restrictions.. The trend here in our area to go pro audio here..

I wish ya good luck anyways..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:53 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Vocopro is overpriced junk. You'd be better off with your original idea with the Mackie (CFX12 would be my choice - effects, eqs already built in) board & pick up the JVC trip tray player. If you want crossfading ability, get a dj mixer & another player & run the music to the dj mixer with the outputs of the dj board going to the Mackie board with the vocals.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:14 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

OK...I do like the idea of going the pro audio route, Brian. That was what I wanted to do.

And, if I forget the VocoPro stuff, Lonman, are there any other good decoders out there?

I hear good things about the JVC triple tray, but personally, I would rather use a professional dual deck cd player because I want to configure this system to be equal parts DJ and KJ.

I suppose I could have a separate dual deck for DJ'ing and a karaoke player for KJ'ing. But I think it would be a bit more economical to just get a decoder.

Of course, I would then need a digital key changer and a vocal effects unit.

Whaddaya think?

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:22 am 
here is what I did for one KJ..

Mackie 12 ch rack console (too tired to look up models)
JVC 3 tray CDG player
RSQ-505 DVD/CDG Karaoke player (single tray)
(not an immiatiate purchase)

ok this next toy has met with some resent ment here but I swear by it
it saves me every time... and saves me alot of time setting up active crossovers, strange rooms you name it.. it's the "sound man's dream in audio tools"
get the

dbx "Driverack" it has a compressor, limiter, eq, expander, all the finalizing tools plus it shapes the room for you. saves alot of guess work.. and 9 times out of 10 it already has your factory cross-over points in it.
making it "Idiot proof" so ya don't burn up voice coils in your speakers

I for effects.. I recommend the following..

Anything Lexicon, Alesis, Roland, Yamaha, TC electronics, or Eventide.
If you can find affordably...them get them. Stay away from Beringer.. I have heard from some real noisy units lately

Amplifiers.. this is critical

being I opened my mouth on the driverack you need a Power amp..
well you want pro.. Crown, Crest Audio or QSC.. none of them are inexpensive but they are definately durable.. just make sure they are properly set up.. power wise -vs Ohmage to your speakers. have the store where ya get them demo the whole set up for you. you don't wanna get to your first show and have the unit clip out. Make them do it right the first time..

Speakers... This is critical too..

2 or 3 way active systems require a crossover some are already in todays newer amplifiers.. I prefer the ones in the Above mentioned dbx product, Now I run my systems in true stereo.. in case a side peters out I have enough power to go mono (a nice back up plan for small rooms that karaoke systems don't offer) with 3 way active stereo there are 3 amplifiers running the mains at all times 1 amp runs left & right high horns
1 amp running the mids/lows and one running the subs all in true stereo. and with my 7th system I have another that splits the monitors bi amplified. with one mix. that's JBL for ya. not an inexpensive speaker but they sound great.

Personally I prefer JBL, but Eminence is alright, so Is B-52 and Community Audio. and believe it or Not... if ya wanna go another route we can discuss the Mackie Powered speaker Which has really grown on me too.

Pat let me know and E-mail me.. I can help hook ya up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:06 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Brian,

About the only thing I HAVE decided on is the speakers! :lol:

I am going with JBL EON15-G2 powered speakers, which by all accounts sound sensational. This also keeps me from needing any additional amps.

My problems start from the speakers on back!

Actually, lets say I take your advice and go the pro audio route and get a Mackie mixer, maybe a CFX 12, my peoblem is in deciding the best way for me to play karaoke CD+G's and CD music.

The only effects that I am worried about right now is making sure I have a digital key changer and some delay and reverb for the vocals.

I will look into all the other stuff after I get my system going and can play with it a little to see what else I need.

So, either I get a player like the VocoPro CDG8000 that can handle both my kj/dj needs in one package...

or

I can get a dual cd deck that will work with a decoder for DJ'ing and KJ'ing.

or

I can just get a dual deck for DJ'ing and a separate karaoke player for KJ'ing. :?

Any thoughts? Thanks again, Brian

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:08 pm 
Pat,
JBL Eon's are still an Excellent choice!
I do use the JBL players for some DJing and KJing ALso I go the PC route for MY Djing also with PCDJ and my #7 unit carries i faild to mention this 2 pioneer DJ type players.. 1-800 series and 1-1000 series with the vinyl "cue & scratch" features.. they can run near depending where ya get them around 1,500.00 MSRP usd. a perfect turntable replacement.. but I still like the old "Wheels of Steel" and have a new set here just haven't used them yet.. I save them for some real grest club shows that hire me just for that porpose..

ok.. now from the Eon's back
Time to get real creative...

Ashley comp, gate. limiter.
affordable, nice and great. the model number escapes me but it's one of the nicest ones out there. in the affordable ones.
either them or dbx.

ALESIS now has an dual 31 band equalizer out that is clean and near recording quality in analog. stilll don't know the model numbers I have seen it once in the retailer i go in.. but if i looked i could tell ya pat.. sorry i'm tired thia morining <yawn>

that will bring ya to the console
which is your mackie.

ok effects:

as in the preious thread I mentioned several brands.. any of those will do. i'd say especially the lexicon.. or TC electronics.. none of them are "dirt cheap" .. but you'll be happy with them..

Microphones:

it's a matter pf preference..

wireless..

AT, AKG, Shure, are the best ones..

Wired..
again most swear by Shure because of cost vs durability.. personally I like the Audix microphones.. I'm using in System #'s 4,5,6, & 7
Audix OM 5's as the wired mic. but the live units have about 15 brands of mics in it.

everything from an AT 6100 (which you may actually like..) It has so much color and clarity it scares me.. and I have run it totally flat live.
alot of artists swear by it live..

Players Again.. Re-visited.. I'd like to see the JVC or RSQ 33 - 3 drawer it will help .. i can play regular cd's in it.. as well as vcd's and CDG's..
Personally i think 2 will do..

I use both the sv-22 and the 33 between the systems.. so there is a real reality check from running on a different system ..

but every KJ has "thier" system. based on thier set of venues except on systems 1 & 2. those float for large halls and parties..

so i hope this helps more..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

icenine wrote:
I hear good things about the JVC triple tray, but personally, I would rather use a professional dual deck cd player because I want to configure this system to be equal parts DJ and KJ.

I suppose I could have a separate dual deck for DJ'ing and a karaoke player for KJ'ing. But I think it would be a bit more economical to just get a decoder.

Of course, I would then need a digital key changer and a vocal effects unit.

Whaddaya think?

Patrick

Well the JVC units are professional units designed for commercial purposes. If I wanted to do DJ on top of the karaoke I would actually go with 2 separate JVC SV22 single tray players (any cdg player will play regular cds' as well). These already have the key changers built in. As far as effects go, if you pick up the Mackie CFX or DFX series, these already have vocal effects built in that will more than suffice to get you going. These are also expandable to add outside processing if you feel you need to later.
The VocoPro 8000 is a great concept, but it is overpriced & has not had a great reliablility record. More people complain than are happy - let's just put it that way. I used one for about a week filling in for a friend & it's by far the biggest piece of junk i've ever used. Graphics garble is the biggest complaint.
Their decoders aren't cheap either. By the time you purchase a DJ dual deck player & decoder, you'd end up spending upwards to $1000 or better for a decent player. 2 SV22 will run you about $400 give or take, have the decoders, key changer, vocal eliminator already built in.
Or like you said, just get a dual deck DJ player & a separate karaoke player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hey Lonman,

It took awhile, but you finally got through my thick skull on the VocoPro!! :) I am not going to buy any of it!! Thanks!

I think I will go with the JVC triple tray and a separate dual cd deck for the dj stuff.

Is the triple tray rack mountable?

I am also going to take your recommendation on the Mackie CFX 12. I really wanted to go this route anyway because I hope to use this system when my band does the occasional gig.

Thanks again!!

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:51 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The JVC 3-drawer player is rack mountable. The other thing is you can also use it for dj'in. You don't really need another player just to play cd's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:52 pm 
Pat
I have a universal mount made by RAXXESS and there is another company that makes one also.. it just depends how ya want to put them in the racks..

Raxxess it truely the best one though.. I haven't lost a machine to that brand yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:10 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

icenine wrote:
Is the triple tray rack mountable?

It isn't technically rack mountable in the sense that it doesn't have rack ears to mount. Like Brian stated the Raxess is a universal tray that your player will be securely held in place. I wouldn't screw the player to the tray as it could warp it just enough that the cd's won't play properly. Middle Atlantic is another shelf that uses top clamps (rubber lined) to hold the player in place.

You'll like the CFX12, I run one in my main system & it works great. It should work fine for the band stuff as well depending on how much you need to mic. 8 XLR channels & 2 stereo 1/4" channels may not be enough if you mic all instruments. If you only mic vocals (4) & maybe the kick drum, guitars & possibly bass you'll be fine, keyboard can go into a stereo channel.

Last edited by Lonman on Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:14 pm 
Lon and Others,
I screwed the feet in.. not the metal chassis in.. it seemed to do well.. and I have all the room I needed in 3 rack spaces.. no problems yet... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
thanks for posting the link to the tray Lonnie! I was looking for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:32 am 
Lon
I also have the Middle Atlantic Trays too but in my Studio.. they are much more at home there than in my road racks.. it's just personal preference I guess..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Ice maybe a little late with suggestions but for your DJ side of the business take a look at a Numark CDMIX1 runs about $300 and it is an excellant unit for DJ ing partys and such . It is a stand alone table top dual cd player , Your JVC can hook up directly to the cdmix one so you can fade from channel to channel and from regular music to karaoke.
For karaoke .. The JVC triple tray is an excellant and dependable system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

knightshow wrote:
thanks for posting the link to the tray Lonnie! I was looking for that!

It's crap they took the link off. Gee I thought this was a place to help people find stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:02 pm 
Lon,
I discussed it today in a meeting with my retailer.. we can get that one too.. I have the model # here.. not a problem. :wink: just e-mail me on it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Lonman wrote:
It's crap they took the link off. Gee I thought this was a place to help people find stuff!

Yeah, it's not associated with a specific retailer.

Phil, can you explain what's going on here. In some cases, it's okay to post a link and others it's not.

If I'm crossing lines here, it's because I DON'T KNOW IT! If you guys remove something, at least give us a heads up as to why!! I went back to this link to save the link on my pc here at my other job... and now I'll have to mail it from home.

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Last edited by knightshow on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:39 pm 
Actually folks I did look at it.. It kinda was... but I didn't complain...
probably some fartzy person with thier panties in a bunch did.. :roll:

<sigh>