KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - We ALL know this guy... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
I bring my discs and books to friends shows and they appreciate it because it augments what they have. As for ur own mics if someone brings one to my show, I wouldn't care. It's only muting the channel out with mine in with theirs.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I too bring my discs with me. And yes, it's BECAUSE I'm an addict, and proud of it, to be perfectly honest! :)

Many shows don't have what I have, and I know it. That's not vanity or ego, but a statement of fact.

As for the mic thing, I MIGHT do that eventually. I've sang on some pretty cruddy ones! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:08 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I wouldn't leave home without at least some of my disks. The kind of music I like is hard to find in the usual KJ books. When they have what I want, I will use their stuff. Don't really care about a different arrangement. Keeps me on my toes and sometimes their label (sometimes not) is better. I always open up my private book for people I know and the KJ. (I limit what I carry to 46 disks that fit into my small portable binder and rotate them occasionally).

I never asked about bringing my own mike although its an interesting idea. I figure the house mikes are ok. My position is that if the KJ can't set up his or her mikes correctly, they won't do mine well either. The benefit would be marginal. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:05 pm 
getting back to personal preference on mics..

I do Bring my mics at times.. and especially if some KJ's thet use only "Low End" wired or wireless mics I usually do bring about 50' of cable
and a real nice Audix OM-5 which will seperate the shure boys from the big boys.. and if some wanna call me anal well then all I have to tell them it will them the facts of the pro audio life to thier faces, because they will hear the difference. they will know why I brought MY OWN microphone, and why I'm the only one to sing on it because I paid for it myself, and I can expect to use it if a KJ has a "Low End Mic" up there. otherwise..
"No Singie.. No Big Tippie!!"

Bling! Bling! $$$ :shock: :P

Jeezzz I'm sounding more like MV every day... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Phill, I've never had a singer bring in their own mic but if they did I'd plug it in, What the heck, no sweat.

How bout the usually drunken singer who screams a song name at you and says "Yea I'll Do That One!" and before you even have a chance to talk, They leave the area and then come back an hour later complaining or start screaming their own name as you announce who's up next.

Another one is someone who attempts to come to my table and page through my cdg binders, Note: IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TICK ME OFF AND NOT SING, COME TO MY TABLE AND START SCREWING WITH MY STUFF!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

BJC
I know what ya mean ..I have this "gal" who thinks it is okay to go thru my case of REGULAR music and tell me what she and her drunken boyfriend wants to hear and then waits like I'm going to pull the plug on the singer and cue her song up immediately...Man Alcohol is EVIL LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Brian Douglas wrote:
KKid..
I agree in most of this.. :P where did the 1500 songs come in.. e-mail me on that?? ya lost me... :?

I don't know as just a singer I own 114 discs...is that unusal?....

arround these parts, KJs usually let us use our own discs, but there are those who complain.....and recently almost every venue that has a contest puts in a rule that you can't use your own disc....the reasoning is that it's not fair.....we can practice and Karaoke is just for fun anyway....we never use to get this kinda grief, but there has been some patrons complaining...

it has actually been said that...."you only show up for the contests and don't support the venue"......well while I'm there I support and I'll be there almost every night of the contest prelims and finals....picky picky picky...

we use to be regulars...even singing 3 nights a week at one venue....it's sorta like playing the same golf coruse every week....it gets boring....so we now spread the wealth so to speak and yes we love to particpate in contests.....so we go where the money is....dah....

[glow=blue]Tequila & A Song
KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

See, I knew we all had more in common here than we thought!

Big Jimmy, I'm with you on people coming to my table and moving stuff around. I'm just this side of Rainman when it comes to that. I've got songbooks all over the bar and they still want to come up and mess with mine! Maybe I ought to go into the whole who's on first thing the next time...

I have a small case of discs that I keep in the car "just in case" I fall into a bar that has karaoke going on. Sometimes I like to sing my own music, but more often than not I end up singing something that they have in their library that I don't have in mine. I get to sing my stuff plenty at my own shows.

I don't have a problem with folks bringing their discs to my shows either (should I say even if they're burned just to get the usual suspects up in arms?) after all, it's their good time to be had. My job is to help provide that for them. However, once you show up with a mic, I think the line has definitely been crossed between "Out having a good time," and "Sick obsession!"

I look at it like those bar league bowlers who invest all the money on wrist braces, three different balls for lane conditions, and other paraphernalia and then still don't bowl for SH!T!

If you've got a good voice, a bad mic or lousy mix from the KJ ain't going to hide it. The converse is also true. However, if someone wants to bring a mic to my show, by all means bring it along. I'll plug it in and give you the best sounding mix I can, just like every other singer that comes to my shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey - How about the drunk who yells into your mic, so ya keep turning him down so it doesn't break your ear drums. Meanwhile he keeps yelling louder with his mouth on the screen of your mic, and by the time you get it back its soaking wet. Don't ya really just wanna use the mic after someone like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:23 pm 
KKid,
I tend to my "personal" collection contains 2,200 songs and I also tend to pull other stuff from Unit #7 of my "Professional" collection at times..

and why? because I can. :P :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

As far as I'm concerned my singers can bring their entire rig to one of my shows if that's what makes them happy!
As has been said earlier, if they bring something to my show that I haven't got then it augments my show!
If it works, I'll go out and buy it at the first possible opportunity!

It has, however, never occured to me to take my own mic to another show because, probably, if the show is using bad mics then the likelihood is that the rest of the equipment is gonna be poor as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

well I just wondered...the locals think that is a little crazy to have that many and not KJ.....but hey it's my passion....

[glow=blue]Tequila & A Song
KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I know many "locals" that buy their own...

So if you have a LOT of regular cds you've collected over the years, are you suddenly supposed to be a DJ??

There's a VAST difference between owning the music, and knowing how to run a good company, running the sound, rotation, landing and KEEPING gigs, etc.

It's not as easy as it looks... When it looks super easy, you're seeing a pro in action!

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:17 pm 
This may be a little "off topic" but I haven't read the whole article. but the pop artist "Pink" was quoted as saying "God is a DJ" I wonder if he has that many songs? :bigcry: