KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need feedback for a paper on the Karaoke Culture Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:46 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi,
I am a student writing a paper on the Karaoke culture and I would really appreciate any feedback on the following questions. Feel free to email them to me at Britland7@aol.com or post them on the message board.

1. Why do you sing at Karaoke? How does it make you feel?
2. Do you want to sing professionally, or is this just for fun?
3. Do you feel part of a group with other regular Karaoke singers?
4. How do you feel about non-regulars who get drunk and sing Karaoke?
5. Is audience participation and appreciation important to you?
6. Does the audience make a difference to your performance?
7. Have you been to or in any Karaoke competitions?
8. How often do you go to Karaoke?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :lol:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:39 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
1. I sing becuase I like to sing. I enjoy being able to take a night & have a little fun.

2. I sing in a local band along with karaoke. Not trying to go pro, unless something happens with our band demos, but not actively seeking it out.

3. Karaoke singers all have something in common so young/old, country/rock music is a part of the crowd. We all may not like a particular song, but respect the person singing it for that's what they like. I have made a lot of good friends through karaoke - young & old.

4. I don't worry about "non-regulars", karaoke is supposed to be fun for anyone - not just "click" groups.

5. I enjoy when an audience is responsive, but it's not an issue.

6. An audience can definately feed or drain your energy level, but that goes with ANY kind of entertainment.

7. I have been in competitions. As long as you take them for fun & not be overly serious about winning/losing, you can enjoy yourself & enjoy some very good singers to boot - especially on finals nights.

8. Used to go out every night, but now I may get out 1 or 2 nights per week. I also own a company so I am running karaoke 3-4 nights per week.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

1. I've used this answer before - I'm retired and it keeps me from a retirement spent in reclusive boredom. And I had a lot of good times at Karaoke even before I retired. Met a lot of great people and made some good friends. It just keeps goin'.

2. In my dreams perhaps. :) I probably have a good enough voice and a good enough musical background, but I don't think I could keep a crowd entertained for an entire evening. Don't have the stamina. :(

3. Absolutely feel a comradorie with the other singers and the KJ's. If you don't you should get another hobby (or profession in the KJ's case).

4. Drunk singers regular or not regular don't bother me. Most of the time they are just having a little too much fun. If I were a KJ though, I don't think I'd put a $600 wireless in their hands. :)

5. Participation and appreciation are quite important to me. I like to know I'm reaching them. At the same time, I wouldn't "Take My Ball And Go Home" :)

6. The audience does make a difference to me as far as my song selections go. I try to get a feel of their mood and make a prudent selection.

7. Only been in one competition (very recently). I was nervous a a wet hen. It was a place I had never been to before. I knew absolutely NO ONE there. I didn't even know it was a contest until I got there. Big time for my geographic location. It was sponsered by one of the local radio stations AND it was a LIVE broadcast. I not only survived but came in 2nd place. Talk about elation. :D :D

8. I go to Karaoke 3-5 nights a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:21 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
1. Why do you sing at Karaoke? How does it make you feel? Usually songs with a message, or that tell a story. I really love "morals of the story" type things. My favorite song to do that's that way is probably "The DownEaster Alexa" or "Silent Lucidity"

Well, I was in a garage band, and we had one month of "gigs"... it was fun, but with the demands of a life, family, and job, I had to back out of it. I do gotta admit it's a heady feeling to know that people are coming out to the bar JUST to see your group! So for me, it's for fun!

MOST definately! I have a huge family that I go to see, and they are my regulars, and I am THEIR regular at the venue I started out in!!

I tolerate them, but I also remind myself that it took many months of courage to get up there myself, and when I did, I was drunk as a skunk!! Nowadays, it's totally different. But my first six months, I was always nervous singing karaoke. Even nowadays it hits me a bit still!

Not for me, as I have very little Ego to begin with (unless it's about something I truly create myself, such as my writing efforts.... this is about fun!), however, I do want OTHER people to feel appreciated! It takes a lot of courage to get up there and put yourself over the speakers to be possibly criticized!

Sometimes... if it looks like they aren't paying attention, that can be a bit of a downer. I do like it when they are being that way and suddenly DO pay attention when I happen to do pretty good at singing a particular tune!

Yeah... when I first started singing karaoke. In fact, I sucked! LOL! And then later, I found out I didn't need the competitions. There are PLENTY of damn good singers out there, and I can't hold a candle to them. BUT I don't suck as a singer NOW. Again, I just have fun with it!

It's a bit different for me, as I am a karaoke host. I own my own company. SO I karaoke a bit with that whenever I have gigs. Right now, it's a regular Sat night thing. But I also go out about once or twice a month in addition to that. I went out about three or four days a week before I started my own company!!

Matt Searcy
Gresham, OR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I like to be a ham, I've done standup comedy, Theatre and other performing, I thrive on being in front of a crowd. I found karaoke in the mid 90's and have loved it ever since, It makes me feel GGGRRRREEEAAAT!

I'm a little too old to go pro but its fun to pretend while singing karaoke. I've probably gotten some bigger applause over the years than some pro's.

Yes sure, Anybody who has the nerve to do karaoke is my sister/Bro

Why not? as long as they are just having fun and not being disruptive.

Yes, Its part of the allure and fun. Karaoke is always a great experience when the crowd is supportive and into it.

Usually not but refer to #5

A few times, Bad experiences.

I host at least one show a week, Next week 2, And occassionally visit other shows to sing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:39 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey Big Jimmy C, I've hosted a couple comedy shows where I had to do fill ins between acts and the like. Loved it. Although its fast paced to keep the show moving, its a lot of fun. Course then again, I was a clown in another life (actually I clowned for about 5 years and had a ball! If you know how many minutes, its amazing what you can come up with for comedy. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:59 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I'm a KJ but I do like to sing on others and it makes me feel good!

I do sing professionally as well

Absolutely! There is a cameraderie at a good karaoke that simply can't be found in the same way anywhere else! Such an atmosphere, with people of all ages and tastes, all rooting for each other! Fabulous!

If that's what it takes for them and they're not being abusive or hostile, bring them on!

Naive question! Audience participation IS karaoke.

Every time. Bad performers make for bad nights! Bad audiences can do the same!

I've run a few, I've never entered one.

A lot! it's my job.

Hope that helps,

Barry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I sing karaoke because it is a lot of fun. I guess part of it is getting that immediate positive reaction from the audience when a song is done well. I've been involved with theater and the like, so karaoke is perfect for the ham in me!

I do karaoke for a living (I own a karaoke business) so I guess I'd have to say that I already sing professionally. Would I like to take it to the next level? Probably not.

While I do have many "regular" karaoke singers at my shows, I wouldn't say that I feel part of any group. It's nice to see them when they show up, but we really don't socialize much away from karaoke.

I do not have a problem with non-regulars getting drunk and singing karaoke. They are the people who make my business work! In fact, at one point I was actually toying with the idea of buying a vocal correction machine to make my singers sound better if they were slightly off key. I talked to several people about this and they said that for them part of the fun of karaoke was going to karaoke was seeing the singers who suck. Therefore, no correction machine for me!

Of course--audience participation is what karaoke is all about! No audience participation=no show! On the other hand, I really don't have a problem if the the audience does not"appreciate" the singers as much as the singers woud like. I never really noticed until a singer (ok, a BAD singer) made a comment about a tough crowd at a particular venue. I asked what he meant, and he mentioned that not too many people were clapping for him. To be honest, I really don't notice applause all that much because I am so busy between songs, changing discs and setting levels for the next singer. At the end of each song, I ask the crowd to please clap their hands for the last singer, but I really don't pay attention to whether or not they do.

Yes, the audience makes a HUGE difference at the show. I play at a lot of different types of venues, and the audience makeup determines the songs that I will do during the show. For example, at a hot 20-something night spot, I might throw down "Cowboy" by Kid Rock, but that song would not fly in bars/clubs with an older, more countrified clientele. I actually had a guy damn near KILL a show one night with bad song selection. He was a young guy who wandered in to a bar where most of the people enjoy oldies and country. After a couple of Eminem songs, I noticed that a good chunk of the crowd was getting ready to go, so I had to cut him off. He was pis$ed off, but OH WELL!

Yes, I have run several. I think you'll find that most singers are pretty jaded about contests, with the predominant thinking being that they're either rigged so that friends of the judges win, or that contest vultures (people who show up for contests but are never seen at the shows otherwise) swoop down and win them all. Others find that the pressure of competing takes away the fun of karaoke.

Like I said, I run a karaoke business, so I'm at several shows a week. Oddly enough, On my nights off, I still like to take in a karaoke show if I can find one, although I think I never sound as good as I do when I'm behind my own rig mixing the sound!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:22 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Mobile, Alabama (On the Central Gulf Coast 1-65 at I-10)
I sing to earn a living, as a KJ Host. It feels good when people are happy with the music.

Karaoke is a profession for me since March 1, 1997.

YES

Unless they are obnoxious, everyone is welcome.

ALWAYS

NO

A few

Since I do it as a living I am at it at least 4 nights a week plus events, and sometimes I get to visit other shows as well.

ImageSTAR KARAOKE / Debra LewisImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey Fenella--Any chance you could post your finished paper here somewhere or email me a copy? As a KJ who spends his days teaching English, I'd definitely be interested!

bgmikekaraoke@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:12 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I sing Karaoke because I love to preform and Karaoke provides me that opportunity. I love how it makes me feel. The rush I get when it all comes together is better then any drug.

2. Do you want to sing professionally. or is it just for fun?

I believe that I would like to sing professionally, but reality dictates that I neither have the resources or youthfulness necessary to achieve that goal. Therefore, I sing Karaoke to fulfill my desires of preforming live.

[color=blue]
3. Do you feel part of a group other regular Karaoke singers?

Yes, definitely. The regulars at a Karaoke venue are usually a close group. My wife and I compete in Karaoke contests, and usually against singers whom we have competed against in other contests. There is a lot of comradeship between Karaoke singers.

Regular or non-regular, it happens. I've done it and was embarassed later. Some people need to build the confidence with alcohol or other drugs. I drink something called After Shock, which I believe helps my clear my throat. No, I guess they don't bother me until they drop the mic or fall into the monitor.

Yes! I feed off the audience and their approval fires me up. The more the crowd is into my preformance the better I do. When the crowd is right, the song is right and I'm nailing my preformance, the rush is incredible. I'm addicted to the feeling and even though it doesn't happen often, I continue to chase the high. I can practice day in and day out, but there is no substitute for the the live preformance, with addience participation.

6. Does the audience make a difference to your preformance?

Yes! As I just said to me it's very important. I need their approval. Without that approval I am just singing and I can do that at home by myself.

Yes, my wife and I compete in Karaoke contest often. We really enjoy them. Some singers and most KJ's don't like them because they create hard feelings and Karaoke is just for fun. We take our "fun" seriously.

I enjoy the anticpation and preparation. What can I do to get an edge? How do I empress the judges? What song or songs will I sing?" Whose the competition? What will I wear? etc.....

As for hurt feelings, those that sensitive should stear clear. Those singers who are serious should practice. After all the word is competion, meaning to compete. Therefore, their will be those who win and those who don't.

I use to sing every night of the week. Now I sing two or three times every couple of weeks. Mostly because of finacial constrants and work schedules. These days we move about from competition to competition and really don't have a regular venue anymore.

Hope my ramblings have been helpful.

[glow=blue]Tequila & A Song
KKid
[/glow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I like to sing once in a while. It's still fun.

Just for fun.

For the most part.

They're as okay as the regulars who get drunk and sing. Not a problem.

Not really.

No.

No.

I probably catch someone else's show about twice a month. I generally don't sing at my shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Q:Why do you sing at Karaoke? How does it make you feel?
A:Can't Dance , Sad - That I can't dance that is.

Q:Do you want to sing professionally, or is this just for fun?
A:yes I'd like to sing professionally , and I know a custodian who wants to be a Brain Surgeon.

Q:Do you feel part of a group with other regular Karaoke singers?
A: I don't know any REGULAR Karaoke singers

Q:How do you feel about non-regulars who get drunk and sing Karaoke?
A:I really enjoy seeing the Klingons at the club here locally.When they drink It's allways a hoot.

Q:Is audience participation and appreciation important to you?
A:They better not !!! =-)

Q:Does the audience make a difference to your performance?
A:Nah...they usually leave when I sing anyway.

Q:Have you been to or in any Karaoke competitions?
A:Yes last week at the Karaoke show We had a spelling bee

Q:How often do you go to Karaoke?
A:365 days a year. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:44 pm 
Folks,
I have recieved a copy of this paper.. I still have it on my hard drive.. If Anybody wishes to recieve a copy E-mail me and I'll try to get it to you if you are interested. Based on my schedule. :D

Brian Douglas
sprocketaudiosw@aol.com